Ferrari F40 #60 Jean Alesi at EBAY | FerrariChat

Ferrari F40 #60 Jean Alesi at EBAY

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ferrari!, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    While I've never seen a picture of the actual Jean Alesi #60 F40, I assume it's supposed to be an LM (or GTE?).

This model has nice attention to detail in some areas, but completely drops the ball in others. Sort of a job only half done.

Especially, what's up with the wing?

Then again, like I said, I haven't seen a pic of the real car, but I suspect that this model is sort of like my Pilot Blue F40LM; it's basically a blue F40 with some stickers - certainly not an LM.

Joe

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well first you got me jumping at the chance of getting a LM for little money. 10 Euros, hey, I'm in it!

But then the picture loaded and I could see what they did: Poorly redone regular F40. The wing is supposed to be the LM wing, but just a glued on second level. Yuk.

I have never heard that Jean Alesi raced a F40, but it is possible, so I wouldn't exclude that.

I have a similar F40 from an Italian race car driver with signature and all. So this is not a bad deal, just not a LM. But at 10 Euros it hardly matters. I got a dirt cheap F40 from German ebay as my base for a LM. If I screw it up, not much $$$ lost.

3. Ferrari!

Ferrari! Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    @tifosi12 ... You are a true Hero of automobile history. Unfortunately white sometimes I do not pull the hat before you your head which your mouth speak. But you are the largest one of all! I bow myself before you.... after word to you large Hero ... Jean Alesi drove a F40 with the number 60 - the producer Robustelli made from it even a Decal - however it it natural without a question to you made ;o)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not quite sure how to take this (left handed?) compliment, but anyway. Being Swiss I have a thing about not bowing to hats anyway (saga of William Tell vs Gessler in ca. 1300 AD)...
    :)

And I'm certainly no connoisseur. Quite the contrary. I struggle when it gets earlier than 1970.

5. Ferrari!

Ferrari! Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    With Ebay you can sell those for the moment no models are complex built. Unfortunately... therefore many models of small expenditure are offered. For these models much is also not paid. You want models in best quality? Models it really gives? Ask the collecting tanks which it for it to pay would like. Everyone wants the best and most beautiful models. But everyone would like to pay for it only a few cent. Therefore there are these models ...

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While we're on the subject, here a pic of my 1/18 F40 I bought in Maranello last year: Driver is M. Schiattarella (Ferrari! you know him?). I think he did well in whatever Italian racing group he participated. He signed the model on the front window.

It didn't cost much and I thought it was cool to buy a Ferrari model while in Maranello signed by an Italian race driver who actually drove it.

While we're speaking about Alesi in the collectables section: Does anybody know where I could buy a bottle of his wine? It is supposed to be good, but I'd like it just for my collection (of Ferrari, not wine; wine I drink, hehe).

7. stemuell

stemuell Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    heyhey - keep cool ....

8. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR

Ok here is some info for the driver:
    DOMENICO (MIMMO) SCHIATTARELLA
    "Mimmo" Schiattarella started racing in the Italian Formula 4 Championship before graduating to Formula 3 where by 1991 he was a leading runner on a par with Luca Badoer and Jacques Villeneuve. He then raced in the South American SudAm Formula 3 series and briefly tried Champcars in 1994 before buying a seat in the ill-starred Simtek Formula 1 operation which foundered in the middle of the following year. Since then he has dallied with sports cars and the occasional CART opportunity to no great effect.

9. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Alesi did drive a F40LM in the IMSA for the French team who was running the development of the LM ( with Jaussaud). The car was with the sponsors 123 and didn't do all the races but were in front before mechanical troubles.
    The car on E bay is not a LM that he drove.
    Roland
    F40LM

10. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Roland is correct. I think they did one or two races with the car here in the states and were on the pace. I think they did a race at Laguna with Alessi driving.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

11. Ferrari!

Ferrari! Rookie

Jan 15, 2004

May I you at least 20 things call at your model the not originals am? But I see... You have it understood... the model have small money cost... thus buy you a model which not originals are. Yes... like that is that. Only about original vehicles speak and then this picture ... wonderfull :eek:))

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh I don't doubt that this thing is missing a bunch of the details. It was about 50 Euros with the sig of the driver. It is a Mattel, so no wonder.

I didn't buy it for perfection (as you saw I didn't even know the driver), just wanted a race version of a F40 in my collection.

OTOH compared to the fotograph of the real car, it doesn't look too bad. At least not for my 'standards'.

13. rr1973

rr1973 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    DieCast Collector
    Full Name:
    Ramon Ramirez
    Tifosi Can you send us some pics of your collection. Its going to be a great add.
    Thanks !!

14. Ferrari!

Ferrari! Rookie

Jan 15, 2004

think you it would have 2 models given by your F40.... one for 50. - Euro.... sees in such a way from like your F40... and one for 200. - Euro... it looks like the original (100%)... which you would have bought ?

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good question. One cheap model for 50 vs an accurate one for 200?

You're putting me on the spot here I think. If I say the one for 50, I will loose all credibility as a collector and if I say the one for 200, well would I be telling the truth?

To be honest I would probably go with the cheaper one. Not just because I'm cheap, but a) because it looks good enough for my purpose and also for what I know, b) because my collection is not in a safe, but once in a while a car rolls off the shelf and falls down... and c) because what I really want with my collection is show the variety/evolution of the cars, not so much focus on one car, but on the overall picture.

I think that is the best way to describe it: I like to have at least one car and it doesn't matter to me too much how exact that is.

Sounds a lot like quantity over quality. An American desease...

16. Ferrari!

Ferrari! Rookie

Jan 15, 2004

now I do not have you...:eek:)... mine to write am meant bad. But to this point I wanted. We offer many original models for collecting tanks. These are 100%. Also the quality is 100%.

But we HAVING also models with small price to make. Many collecting tanks do not have the money for expensive models... not in Germany.

Therefore your statement did not please me yesterday. I think alone the rims am worth more than US$ 10. -. Now however again peace.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  18. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name: