v12 parts interchange questions. | FerrariChat

v12 parts interchange questions.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thecarreaper, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    some of the ferrari 365/400 series came with a GM th400 auto trans. does anyone know if the v12 block has a different bolt pattern or did GM make the transmission fit the v12 block pattern. i am asking this for the purpose of buying a automatic car and installing a 5 or 6 speed manual trans and leaving the rest as ferrari made it. since a GM trans was in there before , in theory i should be able to adapt a gm manual trans to fit in it and have way more fun. fabrication and welding are not a big deal. that part can be addressed.

i looked in the old threads but i cant find the bolt pattern measurements to see if they are standard v12 ferrari versus something unique to these cars. i have seen several cars of this series while searching for a 3x8 something and they are starting to grow on me. am i nuts????? advice one way or the other would be great. thank you.
    michael

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Same block - Ferrari had an adaptor plate made to fit in between the engine and gearbox so that that the GM400 box would mount onto the engine.

MW

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GREAT INFO THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Carreaper, you asked the same question that I have been wondering about. But I want to do something similar, yet different. I want to find a totaled Ferrari 400 with the V12 and GM turbo 400 and put the entire combo in my 1966 Fiberfab Caribee kit car. It's a cross between a Ferrari 250GTO and a Ford Cobra Daytona coupe. They didn't make very many of these and I stumbled across one for $600. My version was built on a 59 MGA frame which is plenty beefy. A V12 under the flip front hood would certainly aleviate some of the "it's just a kit car" comments.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow, i am " in" to cars in a big way and ive never seen ( or heard of) one of those. does it have a tube or ladder chasis, what about the suspension????? anyway it looks different in a good way and should be fun.i dont want anyone to get the idea i am going to ruin a 365/400 series, its just the auto cars are cheap, a v12 will be easier for me to maintain in my home shop as i dont have a lift yet, and the 3x8 series cars i have been hunting seems to be impossible for me to get in my price range. i think an adapted World Products , Richmond, or Borg- Warner transmision would be great. most cars with auto trans have a wimpy rear end gear ratio, while maunal trans cars have numerically higher ratios, i will most likelly have to change the gear ratio and fab a custom driveshaft, niether of which will be too hard given my resourses. anyone else want to chime in????? when i get a fcar, its going to be a long term keeper, i could care less about resale, i can make up for the expense with my muscle cars. i still am on the look out for a neglected 3x8 series car, but a v12 365/400 seems a more viable option.

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    another question for the thread, the auto trans must have a ferrari v12 flexplate, while the swap will require a flywheel. making the flywheel and gm set up work together may be sticky, any advice out there???

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    just wanted to thank Martin at cavallino motors for his reply to my pm, the $4500.00 77 400i is gone, ill keep looking, i still like the idea on converting one to a manual gm trans!