Why I never see another 550. | FerrariChat

Why I never see another 550.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bart, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    There were about 3,500 550s made. Let’s say America got 50% of them (1,750). From what I know most owners keep their 550 under cover (875). This means my state (California) would have between 80 and 125 driving 550 Maranellos. Maybe that is why I do not see them on the road.

Never drive less then 12 cylinders!

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the data i have says they built a bit more than that - close to 3,750 than 3,500.

but i don't believe that the NA allocation of any general production model (not counting Enzo, etc.) approaches 50%. my understanding is that it's more like 30%, and it varies by model.

so it's more like 1,100 cars in all of north america.

i don't know how accurate this data is though; don't go trading stock on it.

doody.

3. formula1joe

formula1joe Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Bennett
    Maybe it is more where you live and work. I work up in Alpharetta, only 2 miles from the Ferrari of ATL dealership and I have the enjoyment of seeing a different Ferrari everyday driving around, including 550's.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    That's suprising, given that your neck of the woods is pretty Ferrari-intensive. I'll tell you a good one: In the first days after i got the barchetta, i took a drive up to a roadhouse, about 50 miles north, to show-off the car to some guys there. On the way, i was musing about how few cars there were Stateside, particularly since i had one of the early ones. Just as i approached the town of my destination, what passes me going the other way? You guessed it! (Different color, though).

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    On week ends , i see 2 or 3 Maranellos here in Paris..

6. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Bart,
    What part of Orange county do you live in? I live in Newport and see one every couple of weeks. If you go to C.C. on Saturday you may see 3 or 4 all at once. (along with every other Ferrari model made in the last 10+ years)

Rick

7. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Well I DRIVE my cars ! So expect to see the BAnana Boat
    on Southern Calif roads as soon as it arrives From Algar (should be months end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Bart: come up here. Around my office, there are 4 other 550 owners, all in different colors. Black (me), red, blue (Luke's friend), titanium and what I think is grigio ingrid or just regular silver.

--Dan