F50 GT1 On Track: Last of the Species - '98 Article | FerrariChat

F50 GT1 On Track: Last of the Species - '98 Article

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ferrari, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  2. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I wonder if Roland got to drive?

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I would have paid to be there!!

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wonder how the stock F50 was just 2 sec slower ?
    the F50 GT has 720 hp plus, weighs less than a ton and has slicks...

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I think the guy who was driving the F50 GT wasn't pushing to its limits.
    If I'm not right...there's something wrong here..
    ..maybe the car had a problem?

6. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    I suspect part of the reason Ferrari decided not to race it is b/c they knew the car wasn't going to be fast enough to compete against MB, Porsche & McLaren.

Does anyone know its Fiorano laptime? I have never seen this information anywhere. I wonder why?

Maybe it really isn't that much faster than a stock F50...

Greg A

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Owner? Our man in New Orleans, Jim Spiro!

I don't think he kept it, though.

Got my invite to the 2004 NO Classic this week.

8. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Probably because Willow is a "stones" track. As in the bigger your stones, the quicker your lap times. There are turns that a Viper runs between 120 and 135 mph. I can't imagine most people having the stones to push an F50 GT1 anywhere near the limit considering the consequences of an off.

9. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I had the pleasure to be associate with that special day at Willow. Jim asked me to join him for the first laps with that GT1. What a day even with a bunch of small mechanical troubles. Speed wasn't the purpose of the day but mainly learn the how to. This was a very special car. We also had a black F50 to play around and that's the car that you all know by the nick name 50 K.The most miles on a F50.
    We also had a 206 proto from Le Mans to keep us busy.
    What a day to remember with my friend Jim . the GT1 was sold to NZ and now Jim owns the famous TR from Le Mans.
    I was joined by an other famous Belgian ( yes I know, we are invading)
    Didier Theys and we had some fun with the F50.
    Roland
    F40LM

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

There are rumors saying that the F50 GT was faster than a 333 SP around fiorano without much developpement. I read that Derek Bell took a F50 GT at laguna seca and was only afew sec slower than a CART that year...

could be only rumors..

11. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    If what you said is true, then that would make the F50 GT faster than the MCC at its present state of development. So, assuming the F50 GT was that fast, it doesn't make any sense that it was not pursued further. Taking into account the leaps in technology, aerodynamics, suspension, tire development, etc. over the past 7 yrs. I am very surprised the MCC is only currently about as fast as the 333 if the F50 GT was that good. I wish there was more information available regarding this car.

Derek Bell was at Mid-OH for the ALMS race 2(?) yrs. ago. I would've asked him about it then if I had known. I think I'll be going to the race this year and if he is there, I will make it a point to ask him.

Greg A

12. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    F-50 GT1 chassis no 1 was driven in several Ferrari club track events and was faster than a 333 SP. The car is planned to run again at the 2004 FCA National Meet in Monterey after undergoing repairs at the Ferrari factory this winter. Last time I heard, the car was in the F-1 shop next to the 4 2003-GA's and Jean Todt was personally supervising the repairs.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    http://www.qv500.com/ferrarif50p2.htm

3 built of 25 planned for homologation into GT1.
    001 - sold under condition it wouldn't be raced again - but Ferrari also indicated they wouldn't do more - subsequently(?)...
    002-003 built & sold under condition they wouldn't be raced, period.

Quicker than 333 SP Fiorano laptime
    2.9 0-60
    235 top speed
    413 kg (909 lb.) lighter

14. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    Who was driving the 333 and GT1? The GT1 being faster at a club event doesn't mean anything to me if it is not put into context. I have watched video of Chris Parr on track with Art Z's GT1 and it was not any faster than the F40. I believe that the skill of the driver(s) is the most important factor when comparing the performance of two.

Does anyone know the Fiorano lap time? The actual time, not "it is faster than a 333". If the car was truly that fast, why did Ferrari choose to park it before it had ever run a race and forbid subsequent owners from racing it? Look at the success of the 333 over the years. Why wouldn't Ferrari want that for a roadcar based racer?

I want to believe that the GT1 was the pinnacle of performance in its class, but IMHO the modicum of facts presented do not indicate its true speed or lack thereof.

Greg A