Lucky to own a 355 Ferrari | FerrariChat

Lucky to own a 355 Ferrari

Discussion in '348/355' started by vref, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My center console A/C panel is bubbling up; see pic I am looking for a carbon fiber replacement any suggestions? or Pics?

Words from Ferrari

The part number is 64502200 for degrees F and the price is US$1391.04
    However, Ferrari North America does not have it in stock so it would take some time to have one for you as I do not keep those in stock.

Please give me a call at 713-772-3868 if you would like to place one on order or if there is anything else that I can help you with.

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What year is that vref? Also is it parked in the sun a lot. My dad's 96 spider shows no signs of bubbling now. Also, you should see if phill hill or valence can help you out. Both are sponsors.
    Erik

3. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    1998 Not is the sun in parking lot or anything, but it is houston. I have seen numerous 355s with the same problem. Dash is not shrunk or anything, I wonder if its the backround lights. Thanks

4. mac59

mac59 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    My '96 has the same problem. I talked to FOH, and they told me that there is nothing anyone can do but buy the whole system.
    I did see someone on this site who said they were woorking on something that would solve the problem.
    p.s. I live in Houston also.

5. the bubbling doesnt look to good but the rest of the interior looks absolutly perfect do you have any more pictures of your f355. ?

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    You cannot find a pre-456M 456 without this problem. Whenever I have seen advertisements of 456s for sale, they just seem to say, "this is what happens." I've never seen it on a 355. I can't help - sorry. Good luck!

7. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Put an order in. Eventually it will arrive and then you can replace the panel. You cannot expect anybody (company) to stock every single item on a car and this would be a extremely slow moving piece (or maybe not as it appears to be a common problem).

Anyway I would put the order in and ignore for 6 months and then replace ... far easier than making a replacement ...

Pete

9. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I've seen two other 355s with that problem. Gotta love Ferrari.

Seeing the bill for that part, not including labor of course, makes me think that never having to deal with any bull$hit like that in my 99 NSX might be worth the tradeoff. If only the NSX had a soul...

$1400. Jesussssssssssss.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    This problem appeared on mine last summer after 2 months of very high temperatures, but these bubbles seem to have resorbed somehow as temp is much, much colder. Expecting bubbles to inflate again as temp raises < sigh >.
    Seems to be a dumb adhesive overlay, 1400$ ..., this must be the entire console with the AC controls and all.

11. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You have to replace the whole A/C module just because the overlay is bubbling up? Good grief. Problems like this always makes me think of those guys restoring classic cars when no parts are available. What would they do? Could an auto-upholsterer (or somesuch) remove, flatten and re-apply the old one? How much would it be to have a carbon fiber fillet made up? Or an etched metallic one? You could always paint it over if you didn't want to use it as a detail feature.

12. Thanks looks awsome.

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i know we have at least one sponsor on here who works with carbon fiber... Valance, i believe... None of the sponsors have seen this thread, yet...? If they can't do anything, can they point vref in the right direction...?

14. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Carbon fiber guys said they have the 348 panel, but the 355 panel is still in development.

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ah, i see... & i can only imagine that if Ferrari wants $1,400 to replace your part, STOCK, then they'd only want more to replace it with a carbon fiber replacement, IF they even had it to begin with... Sorry, buddy... Let us know how you fair...

16. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a 96 spider with 8k miles and always garaged and it has a mint interior except it is starting to have this same issue. To replace it with the same thing for that kind of money would be rather pointless if it would happen again. I would consider a carbon fibre replacement but don't know how they would get it to illuminate from behind. Just one of those rediculous quirks that should not be an issue.

17. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Sounds to me like FNA shld step up and provide the parts n/c. Labor is always another issue, but so many cases of that adhesive surface failing leads me to believe inferior materials is the cause. Just not acceptable no matter the car 8 years old IMHO.

Your interior looks gorgeous otherwise!

18. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    If you want to 'go stock', try Ted Rutlands/Maranello Auto Parts in Atlanta - they part out crashed cars, and this part of the 355 is probably safe from any injury that might befall the rest of the car in an accident.

19. Is the Firano console the same as the regular 355 console. ?

20. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    my 97 spider shows no signs of bubbles, but maybe because it has spent most of its life in climate control. Its got about 11k on it now.

21. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    $1400??? Did I read that right??? :eek: What does that buy you? Just the panel itself or the entire console?

22. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
  23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 95 456 does *not* have this problem, however it is the only one I have seen which does not.

And, in the service records, the original owner had it replaced three or four times before the warranty expired. I guess the last one was a good one!

24. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I think this is the right attitude: the only way to force Ferrari out of complacency on quality is to make them feel it where it hurts.
    Dealer network will whine, bean counters will scringe, QA people will have a stronger case against procurement & engineering, and mgt will be forced to take action.