mice have moved into my car...advice? | FerrariChat

mice have moved into my car...advice?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferraripete, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i have a car that has been in the shop for 11 months. i was visiting it today and have noticed mouse droppings all over the carpet and under the bonnet. i have not really assessed any possible damage as i was so fuggin pissed off i had to leave the shop.

has this happened to anyone ...what was the result...damage?

what do you do to fix the rodent problem?

advice appreciated.

pcb

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    MOTHBALLS!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Seriously, though, mice stored dog food all over the engine compartment of my 750iL.

So then I basicly put mothballs everywhere in my garage.

I mean EVERYWHERE.

Never happened again.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    GET A CAT FROM THE ASPCA

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mothballs work, but also may make your car smell bad. i use a two-fold approach. An electronic sound device that does a sweeping very high-pitched frequency (about $15). This annoys them.

i also have the VERY VERY sticky sheets stuff on the outside edge of my garage as mice and such like walking on outer walls. They get stuck, can't move, and eventually they die.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Traps. The more the merrier. I like the spring type baited with peanutbutter but could they kill the mouse . The stick type work just as good but let the mouse starve. Don't use poison...they'll die in your car. I have tried using mothballs and found the mice just removed them from where they lived/traveled.

7. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Get a cat, and keep him in your garage.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH

I've used this system before when I had rats in the bodyshop. Worked like a champ. One of my old employees left a discarded pizza box on Friday afternoon. When we came in Monday morning it was never touched. I put these things all over the place & still is the best way to keep vermin away.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Three options:

1. .50 Cal, Tri-Pod mounted Machine Gun.
    2. Zyclon-B gas.
    3. A big fuggin' hammer.

Have fun!

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Mothballs........

To kill the mice however, you'll need traps.

Interesting mice story.

A few years ago an owner of C230 had his car towed in to the Benz store I was working at for a "no start" complaint.

As I was walking thru the shop talking to a mechanic, I saw one of the guys exclaim, "hey look at THIS !!" when he came out from under the hood and held up his hands which were fistfulls sunflower seeds !!

Apparently, the owner stored a large bag of said seeds in his garage and the mice, craftly little bastards that they are, started storing them inside the air intake box of his car. There must have been 1-2 kilos of seeds inside the system.

Darndest thing that I ever saw.

11. riconijhof

riconijhof Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rico Nijhof
    Just take the car out for a 120 mph drive with the windows open. They will blow out, lol

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mice are fond of sports cars becuase it is easy for them to jump from the floor into the chasis and make cozy nests.

Go to the hardware store and get a bag full of old fashioned traps and put them all over the shop, in the car and four under the car near each wheel. If you have any animal food in or near the area, get rid of it. In a few days, no more mice!

Dave

13. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I did a pre-emptive strike. I put poison all over outside around my house, any time it empties I refill it. Decon is awesome. Use traps inside at first. Buy several types; sticky, the old style snap shut ones and a live trap. Place them along the walls and make them in the shade (put a piece of cardboard angled over them) this seems to draw the mice in.

I haven't tried the sound thing, but I think I might go pick one up.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would check the car over very well before leaving the shop. Mice can do some serious damage to wiring, they like to chew on it. Hopefully nothing has happened to your car.

15. mrrou

mrrou Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ask them to leave