Which is the best F-car to start with? | FerrariChat

Which is the best F-car to start with?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 62 250 GTO, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I was looking at the 308's and well... this is... well... not... um... I don't want to step on any toes.

From Ferrari dot com >>>
    308 GTB - GTS QUATTROVALVOLE

Engine:
    Transverse, mid-mounted 90° V8, light alloy cylinder block and head

Bore & Stroke:
    81 x 71 mm

Compression Ratio:
    9.2:1

Max. Power Output:
    240 bhp at 7,000 rpm; 85 bhp/litre

Fuel Feed:
    Bosch K-Jetronic mechanical injection

Front Suspension:
    Independent, double wishbones, coil springs

Rear Suspension:
    Independent, double wishbones, coil springs

Tyres:
    220-55 VR 390 TRX

Top Speed:
    255 km/h

I took a 924 {a little too low on the sports car scale for me} but very nice none the less. But I do need something to keep me awake at night.
    Any models to start with?
    TIA

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    What's the question?

3. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    This may sound like a stupid response but......

...the best F car is one you can afford. Too many people don't realize the costs involved and stretch their resources too thin.

Stick with your budget whether it be a 308 or an Enzo.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gotta agree with that Jon, you don't want the first major breakdown to cause the car to be parked for months, or worse yet, sold! Leave a cushion of funds for unexpected (but inevitable) stuff that might let go...

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

The best Ferrari to start with is the Ferrari you WANT.

For me, personally, it would be something sorta new, but not too advanced... An NNO shouldn't be my first... i would need to practice with the F1 transmission before i jumped into one of those... An older car wouldn't be too good, either... A 250 GTO would be something for later, down the line... :) The older cars are too temperamental in some ways and sometimes, i gotta go, NOW. i can't hang around and wait for the oil to warm up... It wouldn't be a Sunday-only car for me, i'd drive it everyday; everywhere... It seems as though a 355 or a 360 would be best for me, to start out... Maybe a 348, but i'm not too familiar with those...

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do I need intimate knoledge of these cars and a solid back ground in tinkering with Ferraris before I take the step up to the big boys club? My 77 924 is cranky at times and I must know how to settle it down. Same with F-cars??? I dunno. I was thionking about motorcycles last year {not anymore} and I was weary of getting the "fastest one" and killing myself. I thought it would be a good idea to learn the history of these cars before I jumped in.
    Question: Is there a Ferrari that I should start out with?

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E

What he said.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    348 is a good car but it's by no means fast. Sometimes I feel I can get out and walk faster. But they are faster then the 308/328 cars. But you would still be hard pressed to "smoke" a BMW or even a G.M

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    F40....yep, start out with an F40. :D

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    348 are also very expensive to maintain compared to the 3x8 cars. Engine has to be dropped out to change timing belt. The tensioner bearings are insanely priced,and you had better be sure that all the updates have been done to the car. The clutch if it still has the twin plate set-up will put you back a good chunk-ochange as well. Count on about $2000 just for the parts. Easy to change though.

12. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Mondial cabriolet's a good first ferrari...but then again i'm biased. Low maintenance and top down fun. Its all about what YOU like though, and you seem to know what your looking for.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mako99,
    a Honda Civic will do your 105-110 mph minimum... :) Are you implying you drive this fast on a regular, continuous basis? Or just a quick blast and back to 75 mph?

BTW, a sh*tbox 328 like I drive will do 150, but I have rarely have taken mine past 130. I take it over 100 all the time, but on vacant stretches of road....and just for a short burst.

14. tako

tako Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I started with 1/12 F50 hehehehe

15. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    You know that's an excellent suggestion. A near-end-of-model run Mondial Cab. is an excellent choice. I never used to be a fan of this model, but lately find the idea of a late Mondial Cab. crosses my mind.

16. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    A 308 is an excellent starting point. I bought my first 308 a few years ago, an '85 QV. I did sell it and missed it. I bought another 308 and this one I will be buried in. I can afford a more expensive model, but I really like 308's! Buy what you can afford, but make sure its what you want. If you REALLY want a 348 and can only afford a 308, wait while you are saving your money. Do it right the first time.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I always say start with the newest injected 308 you can afford. The next would be a good front V12 like a 330. They are not super expensive and you can actually fix it yourself since you can reach most all the parts without dropping the #$*% engine out of the car.

18. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica

19. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    How much money can you afford to lose?
    Start with a 308, Maybe $30k, It will hold its value well, But if you lose an engine or tranny could cost you $10k to $20k then you have $50k into a car worth $30k. Just something to think about.

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Most people never think about the maintenance issues. I've seen some people buy older 308's "as is." It was no surprise at all when they called with a problem. I've never seen a perfect ferrari without some issues. It's mechanical & italian. It will break. It just depends if you wanna play, you gotta pay if you want to keep it running right. Do plenty of reserch, it can take some up to a year to find the car you want.

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I would suggest a 308. They are,right now at probably the lowest they'll ever be. So,can only go up in value. Anything else still has some room to go down in value. 308's are easy to Service. A joy to drive. Look great,as it's pretty much the only Ferrari that the general public KNOWS is a Ferrari. Handle well. Yes,they are not the Fastest car out there. But,who cares! You won't when you are driving a real FERRARI!

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Do you need to know the mechanical ins and outs? No, not really. Some people don't know anything but the number for the tow truck and the mechanic. That's an expensive way to go. If you're handy, a lot of the maintenance on the 308 and 328 series can be done at home. If you want to learn how those cars work, go to http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/. Download and read the 308GT4 Workshop Manual and the 308QV/328 update for it. They'll give you a good idea of what you're looking at mechanically.

If you like the 2+2 of the 924, you may want to look at the Mondial cabriolet or coupe. The coupe is the least expensive way in, looks good and won't leak. Darker colors tend to work better on the Mondial 8 and QV -- I especially like them in black and blue.

None of the 3x8 or early Mondials are fast by today's standards, but they all make the right sounds and feel like a gocart.

Some will argue that newer cars are better. If you like to tinker that may not be true.

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Be aware that buying an exotic is like having an expesive pet. When it's sick you do whatever it takes to make it better. Dogs are not cheap when they have problems. Ferraris are in another universe from dogs. Your budget should be a major consideration. There are a lot of beater Ferraris out there because people get in over their heads. Have cash allocated for the unexpected. After that, get what you like!

Ken

24. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Neil,buy what you like and can afford.If all your'e interested in,like some of the guys here,is a fast car,then get a new Corvette with 400 horsepower,and none of the hassles.But if your'e like me, I just love Ferrari,it doesn't matter to me if it's the latest, fastest,etc....I've always wanted a 308,I just love the body style and in the QV,the interior toggle switches etc.Could I've gone with a 328 or a 348, sure but I like what I have.Of course it's a 20 year old car, so buy the best you can, but know that the maintennance can and will add up.Once you get it sorted out though, there's nothing like it.

25. robin1

robin1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Robin Masters
    308 GTS - The only real Ferrari. The rest are just Toyota wannabees...