Sat in the new Quattroporte today | FerrariChat

Sat in the new Quattroporte today

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Agent Smith, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I was at the Detroit Auto Show this afternoon and had the chance to sit in the new Maser sedan. What a cool car! I would definitely take one over a S class and certainly over a 7 series. The price was less than I thought too - it starts at $90k. Very sharp - very classy - and sounds like it will be a performer.

2. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i was just about to pick up a 7 series but the maserati looks very very interesting, when is it hitting US shores?

3. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
    I saw it during some acceleration tests last year.

Really wonderful sound, not a Ferrari's sound, but much better than a 7 or S series....

I liked the design and interiors, too. ;)

4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Around September.

5. udalmia

udalmia Guest

damn!
    my dad's current jag which he has on lease agreement of 12,000 miles has already done 15k, he wanted another 4 door quick.. we may have to go with the bmw 7 :(

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    The other cool thing was all the ways to customize the car when they order it. I guess it's like the Coupes, but you can pick the outside color, the color of the seats, the carpet, the dash, and the steering wheel. The door handles were especially interesting. They look like a traditional grab handle, but when you feel on the back of the handle there is a button. One light click of the button is all it takes to open the door. It was just a really interesting design - I had never really seen any other handles like that.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The big question for me is: how is servicing / cost of ownership / reliability? Does it need a $$$ 30K service like Ferrari?

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hey guys, I may sound predjudiced but before you get a new 7 or an S class, look at the A8L Audi. BMW has bought back over 700 of the 7 series car in NOrth America this year due to electronics problems associated with the I-drive. Check up on it, it is true. I was with BMW for 17 years and Ferrari/Maserati for the last three before coming to Audi in May of 2003. Give the A8L a drive. The MMI system is much easier to operate than the I-drive. It is total aluminum body and spaceframe, 330 hp 4.2 liter V8 and the interior will blow away M/B and BMW with its fit and finish quality.

Whether you drive an A8L first or last, drive one. You owe it to yourself. All wheel Quattro drive standard and a whold host of other features. Free maintenance for four years of 50,000 miles-----check it out.

9. udalmia

udalmia Guest

had a look at the A8, for some reason it doesnt grab me, the design is too old

10. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    I frickin love that car(the A8). We bought one for the lot a couple of weeks ago and with the big wheels that thing looks awesome. Did not get a chance to drive it as we unloaded it the next day, Audi decided to come out with some dealer money and we did not want to loose our shirts. I will say this though, now that I sell Lamborghini I will have an Audi in my garage soon!

Chris

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i evaluated the A8L extensively when they first came out, and have to say that i really would like to have bought one.

i encountered some problems that did not make me comfortable. for the most part, they rushed it to market early, IMO (though for the life of me i couldn't grok why given the 7 was already out and there wasn't anything obviously coming down the pike elsewheres).

i spent quite a bit of time test driving the car on three separate occassions. it is HUGE but really doesn't feel like it. the interior is very nice; spacious, open, comfortable.

there were various problems with early cars (check the archives at audiworld); lots of nitpick features that cars in that price range should have weren't there; various features were available in europe but not the states; lead times were 2X or more the competition; dealers at launch were being very dicky about negotiating; etc.

my guess is that the MY 2005 cars will get their act together (hopefully).

finally, it just didn't have the kick to it i really wanted in a car that heavy. it was zippier than an S500, but not zippy enough IMO. the S8 should be nice BUT it's purportedly going to be build on the standard (ie: not "L") wheelbase which means it'll have basically the same rear leg room as the A6. it's decent leg room, but one of my BPC was that the kids couldn't kick the back of my seat :) .

i'm very much looking forward to some seat time in the QP.

doody!

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The motor is chain driven, so no, there is no 30k service.

Someone mentioned waiting weeks for parts; that is not the case anymore. Parts are usually overnighted, so cars rarely spend more than 1 night at a dealership.

13. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    This is correct - the engine does not need to come out in the new Masers. Oil changes, are of course, not cheap. Getting parts does not seem to be a problem - Once I had to wait a couple of days to replace the the cover to the headlight washer. No biggie. And my customer service experience has been fantastic.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Oil change and 12 month service was $250. Not too bad. This included pick up and delivery, a wash and a loaner car.

15. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Funny, I spoke too soon. Fearing I was getting taken to the cleaners, I re-checked my AMEX bill - $400 which also included mounting of my snow tires (and the car wash ofcourse). The number that stuck in my head was $700, which is the figure the salesperson quoted me when I test drove the car in 2002. I guess he was being overly conservative. I should check my statements more carefully...

16. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    where is your dealership located? the closest to my location is Houston. You are pleased with the car?

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My dealership is WWOC in NY. They are great. I like my Maser very much and it's my daily driver. (In deep snow switch off the ASR)