Word on Maserati running at Daytona | FerrariChat

Word on Maserati running at Daytona

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    As promised I have found out just a little about the Maserati of Risi Comp that is going to run at Daytona.
    1. The car that was tested was the prototype used to develope the Trofeo and Trofeo light. It was a very tired car.
    2. They will be running a brand new car for the race.
    3. They have been working very hard to set the car up for the Daytona track.
    4. They will run this car only for the Daytona race and then run the 360GTC for the entire ALMS series and Lemans.
    5. They think everyone will be totally surprised at how much faster the new Maserati will be over the one they were testing.

If they run as consistently as usual, I believe we could see a Maserati on the podium. It remains to be seen.

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Audiguy,

Thanks for the update. I was in FOW's shop last week andd they were working furiously on the car. Claimed to have found another two seconds testing at Moroso where they tested for two days.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

3. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I received word just this morning that they believe that we will all be surprised at how much faster the new car is than "the other Maserati that will be running in the race".

Hmmmm, could "the other car" be the FOW car? And if it has picked up two seconds, the "new car" should be even quicker than that. This could prove to be really interesting for Porsche. Last year the Risi Comp car was running about 1 second off the Porsches and still finished 2nd overall including having some F1 problems during the race. It goes to prove that a well prepared car with an excellent crew does not necessarily have to be the fastest qualifier in an endurance race.

4. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Imagine how well they may have done if they hadn't had all those gearbox problems (through no fault of their own). I still don't know why they chose to use the F1 box unless the rules specified they had to.

As long as we don't get another GT class Porsche overall win, I'll be happy. I was happy for Buckler but now let's see a DP or GTS win.

Jon

5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    They were forced to run the F1 box. They had intended to run the manual and Ralf and Anthony were really stoked about being able to but at the last minute they were told they had to do the F1. Perhaps if they had had another week to develope the F1 before the race, the outcome might have been different. After Ralf had problems early on and lost a lot of time, he got it going again and was posting the best times of any GT car on the track. I was loving watching him move up thru the field before the gearbox did it again.

And remember, they finished 2nd overall for the season against all the Porsche competition. Not bad for a privateer car. They do not get factory support. It is just that Mr. Risi has an extremely good crew that he has assembled over the years and takes the time to test the cars and develope them completely.