Who else has a problem driving too fast? | FerrariChat

Who else has a problem driving too fast?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sherpa23, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have only had my Ferrari for one week, and I have driven it 4 days for a total of 260 miles. Each time I have had it on the highway, I have not been able to resist pushing the gas to the floor at least a couple of times and hearing that wonderful engine wail all the way to about 7300 rpm (I don't want to take it to redline at 8500). The problem is that by the time I slow down, and am well into the triple digits. And when I slow down, it's to somewhere in the 90's. Now, I have always had a clear road when I did this but I know it's not the best thing to do. I am pretty responsible person and I usually drive only a little above the speed limit but this car is so nice a higher speeds that it's hard not to go fast. So what I want to know is: Will this wear off after a while or should I get used to this and gear up with a V1?

2. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    i am a chronic speeder. i made it from seattle to san fransisco 2 weeks ago in under 12 hours for 800 miles. stopped twice for gas and pee'd at the gas station. you do the math. i only speed in the ferrari on backroads. not on the freeways. around seattle they pull you over if you have a smug grin and look like you are enjoying yourself. now my motorcycle is another story. suzuki 1300 hayabusa. I-90 bridge. 3am. gps readout 197mph. that was last summer before the race cams were installed. will break 200mph this summer. so yes i do have a problem. BTW no tickets. no radar detectors. im not bragging. i have just been really lucky. KNOCK ON WOOD.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I (myself) do not have a problem driving too fast....it's the guys with the black and white cars that seem to have issues.

DL

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    everyone else drives too slowly, we need a speed limit of 90, no kidding. Every car today can do that, dont you all think that is a reasonable speed? Or maybe a special LP that indicates that you are allowed this speed as you have taken a special test...something, 60 MPH is first gear!!!

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    hell when i drove to the bay area a couple weeks ago my 4cyl chevy S10 would buzz along at 85mph with no real issues. 60mph is a joke. cars now can stop alot faster, corner better, and get better mileage then the cars 30 years ago. we need at least 80 mph limits. 60mph puts me to sleep.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    How do you define "too fast"?

I have a problem with people who drive beyond their ability to control the vehicle. Alas, there's quite a few drivers around my neighborhood who hit that that point as soon as they put the car in gear.

The problem I have driving quickly is that it only takes about 50 seconds to come up behind Zippy the Wonder Slug -- someone with no place to go, no time he has to be there, and no comprehension that anyone else might have to get somewhere this year.

This is only a problem because the towns have been painting out all the passing zones. So you get long chains of cars, with one dweeb up front trying to remember where the gas pedal was, followed by a bunch of tailgaters. And people wonder why insurance rates are so high, around here.

The weird part is that those same tailgaters suddenly become the slow one, once they get out front and don't have a bumper to follow. I guess looking where they're going really slows people down. :(

7. udalmia

udalmia Guest

ive had this talk with a lot of people, is there anything such as SAFE SPEEDING?

i think there is.. if the road is vacant and you have 100% visibility there is no reason why you have to move at a snail's place.. i still remember the ticket i got for going 35 on a 30mile road at 3 am...sheesh

8. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I too am a habitual speeder.:) While I don't cruise the highways at 100+, I do regulary exceed highway speeds by 10-15 mph.

9. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I have seen this before. Get ready for an assault on the existing speed limits. The Highway Patrols of different states continue to skew statistics showing speed as the cause of most accidents. Driver inattention and lack of skill are actually the major causes of most accidents. If a guy runs a stop sign 10 miles an hour over the limit, it is usually reported as a speed related accident. I used to love driving a lot more when I didn't worry about getting a ticket. Santa Monica and the CHP are really cracking down around here for the past few years. The state needs the money I guess. I wish I could pay 5 or 10 grand for tags and drive as fast as I want. I know...dumb idea.

10. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Im always driving fast no matter with car it is!!!!
    I like racing on roads with many corners and some straight roads.
    But not a long time ago they wan't it slow the maximum speed of traffic down because of high traffic in holland with 10 mph!!!!
    If you drive slow you only get more traffic!!!!!! so this is a very bad solution, i hope the don't do this!!

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I'm someone who likes speeding in highways or in country roads.

BTW maybe I will buy a Nissan 300 zx next year or the year after. Can't wait to drive that car!

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I'm still laughin at the suzuki joke. I bet that with those west coast drugs you can get that thing up to 250mph at the drop of a hat. Keep up the fun here we all like it. Oh please turn off the X-box when you go out.

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

If you keep going that fast, sooner or later you'll get caught. The price of that little adventure will be more than you're willing to pay, I suspect. In California, go over 100, you'll probably do some time, get your car impounded, etc. Second time, more time, bigger fine.

That's why there are tracks. Most people don't learn this, they have to be taught that its not a good idea to do this. Pavolian treatment.

Art

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't have a speeding problem...

I just drive fast on the road....and the track

no problem!

Ciao

Dino

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    In a Ferrari or other exotic, one always looks better driving the speed limit or with the flow, below the speed that will get you a ticket. Let the ricers and the jerks that are late to work drive 90-100. If you had enough class to buy an expensive car, you should show enough class on the road to reasonably obey the laws.

16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    right you are sir. the only problem is that those of us who know this still have to pay for those who are learning it. speed is relative and the track is the place to do it.

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    A day under 100 is a day without sunshine!!

Ciao

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im always flying. So far, the longest i went was from Atlanta Georgia to Scottsdale Arizona, 2200+ miles in just under 24 hours. Just stopped to pee and gas.

Oops, forgot to add, this was when i bought my Lotus and drove it home.

19. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    To answer your questions, I would say Yes, and Yes!
    When ever I drive my F40, I love to hear and feel the Turbos doing their thing! After 6 months it still puts a big smile on my face when ever I drive it. It is easier to resist on city streets, but a clear freeway on ramp or a strech of open freeway just begs for triple digit speeds. The acceleration is awesome. Then it is easy on the brakes back to acceptable speeds.
    The thought of selling the Car crossed my mind for a brief moment when I was thinking what a shame it is that this car can't be driven the way it was designed to be driven. Then I think of all the F40's sitting and not being driven at all. The injectors plugging as the gas gets old and the rubber rotting away..... I guess I'll just keep driving until it's time for a rebuild. I do need to get out to some track events. I also plan on running in an Open Road event this year to bring her up to 200mph...
    As far as a V1 goes........ absolutly. If it saves you from 1 ticket it has more than paid for itself in fines and an increase in insurance.

Rick

20. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    #20 jbrosseau, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    do you mean to say that i cant go that fast or that i do not own a bike that will do that? well here is the bike and its owner(me). sorry dont do drugs. and i dont need a xbox with a garage full of toys. also plan on turbocharging the bike so the bike you see will be a 300hp bike. also just for your info the world record for a street legal bike is 247mph held by a 500hp suzuki hayabusa. if i am taking this wrong then my bad. if not then get the facts before you try and bash someone. later. joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I got a 90 mph ticket today. Hooray!

22. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    the simple fact of the matter is this. as long as there are vehicles(cars,motorcycles,etc) capable of well over triple digit speeds there will always be those wanting to push the limits of their cars and themselves. i agree that tracks not eh streets should be the place to play, but the problem with tracks is that they are far and few between. and some people refuse to pay what in some cases is a small fortune to snap off a few laps. and whats more is some people know the risks in crashing or getting tossed in jail for having a little to much fun. but give some credit to those of us that when we do play on the street have enough sense to go out on roads that we cannot hurt anyone but ourselves. just because some people are happy with 65mph does not mean some of us are happy with 65,75,80, or even 100mph. some of us just have to push ourselves and our vehicles a little harder. life is too short to live by the rules all the time. and im pretty sure Mr. Ferrari never ment for his cars to just go with the flow of traffic.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Hi,
    My name is ARMEN
    and I do have a speeding problem

24. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Armen- you may have the hardest temptation to speed than all of us!!

25. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hello,
    I have a speeding problem
    My 91 civic won't go over 50 mph
    Can anyone help me find more power?