DON'T flash your high-beams warning of police! | FerrariChat

DON'T flash your high-beams warning of police!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Apparently it’s a crime. White Plains has an open straight road in which the speed limit should be well above the 30MPH allotted by the city and they always have police camping out- trying to find the out-of-towners who don't know of their hiding spot.. I was in a great mood today because the break in weather allowed me to take out the BMW before I left for school- so after spotting the cop, I flashed my brights at the on coming traffic warning them..

To make a long story short, he ended up pulling me over right next to my house accusing me of "obstructing government ^%*&" (something of that sort)- which apparently is a class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail.. I pointed out that it was my last day before school and I lived right up the street and after having some words with my father, he let me go...

Figured this might help some guys on the board out and keep them out of trouble.

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That is a BS offense. He is just bullying you. You can easily put up a posterboard with an arrow saying "Speed Trap" and there is nothing they can do about it other than a littlering fine if he is being ******.

You are allowed to flash your lights as a cautionary warning to traffic for what ever reason you see fit to alert them of, being slower traffic, accidents, potholes, roadkill. Next time if he cites you, fight it.

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    What a c0ck-knocker!!

Luke.

4. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Ha, that's retarded man, sounds like bs too. Fight back next time.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Just say you thought you saw a friend passing by ...

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The cop is wrong this wouldn't and hasn't held up in court. Just as Paul Revere had a right to say "The British are coming" You have a right to Free speech. It's the same reason you can have a radar dectector. It's been fought in court and the state has lost.
    That said fighting it in court isn't a whole lot of fun.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    BTW
    Cops also don't have the right to enter private property without a warrant. If they shoot radar from a private driveway without the permisson of the owner of the property or a warrant it won't hold up either. If it happens to you go to court, ask to see a copy of their warrant, ask for a dismissal. If the Judge doesn't grant it appeal. Eventually you will win. No one is above the law cops included.

8. Prowler

Prowler Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Glendale,Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matt

get in touch with his CO and make a complaint about harrasment.i was once pulled and no ticket given for the simple reason of lane changes.i made 3 lane changes in a mile strecth of road anf the cop pulls me and gives me some BS about weaving in and out of traffic.he said that "we"..the general public is allowed only so many lane changes per certian distance.ilaughed in his face and told him to get get the book to show me in black and white where it says that.he said if i wanted to be an ass and trying to get a ticket he'd write one for me...i told him to do it and i'd see him in court.he said that this was a friendly warning...i told him that the next "friendly warning" was coming from his CO.i got his name and car number and complained for harassment.

he was probably trying to make his quota.....next time,stand up to him.make him write stuff up...complain about it then go to court.

9. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I have heard of the flashing of lights to warn of police radar traps called "obstruction of justice"!

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    " no law..." Seems to trump that. Free truthfull speach in a public forum can not be abridged by ANYONE.

11. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    They tried to outlaw flashing the high beams here in PA 7 or so years ago.

Went pretty high up in the courts before it got thrown out.

I did get flagged for this once. Told him I was testing my high beams.

I then drove up and down that strech for a half hour flashing my high beams donig a public service. Eventually he just moved on.

12. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
  13. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    "no law..." Seems to trump that. Free truthfull speach in a public forum can not be abridged by ANYONE."

Didn't the Supremes just uphold the Campaign Finance law which does just that? Prohibits you from criticising a candidate 60 days before an election?

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i wait until they are behind me, i turn on my lights so they dont see my tail lights going on and off, and i flash oncoming cars with my brights to warn them of radar. i only do this during the day, flashing anyone at night is not a good idea.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I don't think it does. Neg. adds are running today in Iowa. Election is tommorow.

16. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    In drivers ed we were told not to in rural areas because here in AZ people have been shot because they think headlight flashing is gang related.

17. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

I do/did that..

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Urban Myth

19. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    I think this went to court a few months ago in the south. The driver argued that the police were there to "protect" and by flashing his lights in an event of free speech he was in fact slowing some drivers down which in fact did help protect and therefore he was accomplishing the same as the officer only in his "free" way. He Won

20. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    If he went to pull me over for that he would have a fun police chase on his hands :)

21. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Pigs suck.

I had them pull me over once just so they could check out my car. what c*cksuckers they are.

22. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Jim,

Your advice about a warrant is interesting. I have a conviction from last year where the officer was standing in the parking lot driveway area of a local zoo catching speeders.

If I can get it overturned (may be too late as I admitted guilt) you get a free dinner at any place in NYC of your choosing.

FYI: maybe in CT it's different. You point about the right to have a radar detector is a good one but the good folks in CT and my own state of VA have banned them anyway.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jon
    It depends on whether or not the Zoo is privately owned and whether or not the zoo had given permisson. Getting it overturned may be tough after the fact.
    From what I understand the ban in CT has been sucessfully challanged.
    Best

24. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Jim,

It's a small private little farm park (not a large government owned zoo). I'll speak to the owner tomorrow.

Regards,

Jon

25. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Quite true in theory, Napolis, BUT not in practice. Here in corrupt massachusetts the constitution does not go for much. I will cite the fed case where much worse goes on and the courts back it up. Mass is the most corrupt state in the country surpassing even LA and NJ where lifelong corrupt political HACKS get away with any constitutional transgressions.
    T

GOOD for you oppie20.