stradale power? | FerrariChat

stradale power?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bostonmini, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Did anyone ever come to a decisive conclusion as to whether the CS was short on power?

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    No. Thomas is due to re-dyno his Stradale with higher octane gas... current hypothesis being that the Stradale is tuned for higher octane gas and has engine electronics capable of adjusting down automatically with lower octane gas... so, no knocking, just loss of power. However, that is just conjecture... Thomas should soon be dyno'ing again from which we'll learn more.

Even with that, though, we only have hard data from one car and soft data from magazine numbers... but many other things could explain the slower than expected magazine times... not the least of which is that most magazine reviewers are CLUELESS about how to properly launch the Stradale... between the F1 and the Launch Control.

I'll get mine on a dyno when it arrives... but that won't be until March. I'm hoping someone from Europe will throw their Stradale on scales and on dyno... it'll be VERY interesting to compare.

Besides not being sure if its short on power, its also not clear just how long on weight it might be. We need hard measurements.

3. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman

4. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, if you could feel the 6% power difference between 400 and 425 separated by 3 months, then your butt-dyno would be better calibrated than most real dynos. ;)

Is that 98 RON? Or 98 RON+MON/2 (US Octane)?
    What octane petrol was in there before you added the 98?

You say that like you drive it hard at lower RPMs. Why do that? ;)

Indeed! All the "who'd win on what track" arguments aside, if you're not buying a full-prepped racecar and conforming to some org's rules, all that really matters is:

How does it make you feel when you drive it?

That's what its all about for me!! Lightweight, great balance, great chassis, delicate responsiveness, beautiful sound, and lots of g-forces in all directions... and to do that on smooth tracks, undulating roads, and less desirable road surfaces.

I wish I had a 350-mile 4-day date with a Stradale to shorten the wait for mine... how'd you get that bit of fortune??

5. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Don't actually know whether RON/MON- its called shell Optimax here and its supposedly the best you can get.

I didnt say that I drive it hard at lower RPMS. Its just not that torquey in the lower bands

Here in London there is a club called P1 international(website) www.p1international.com. I'm a member and they have justed added a stradale and a gallardo to their fleet. Will check out the gallardo soon.

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    No I did not complete a dyno run but I hope that I get it done next week - sorry

I am currently running the car on 76 100 Racing Gas. I started with different mixtures with the hope to zoom in on one that delivers best performance. I am somewhat blocked by the bad weather in Seattle and are not getting enough miles to train the engine with the new gas. However I did get 200 miles on close to 100 octane in yesterday - got impatient :)

I had another dyno run scheduled for Friday as part of the Xbox guys recording the CS sound for a game. When I saw how much stuff they hooked up and the number of folks running around I decided to do the run another time.

The promised me a recording I can publish and I hope it is the one in which we run the car up through the gear and down – the down-shift sound and engine blip is intoxicating – there is nothing I have heard that sounds like that ... They claim it has been close to the loudest car they have recorder for all the folks that are worried about loudness - looking at their faces when the exhaust opens up – funny.

98 octane pump gas in the UK is RON – not good enough to show noticeable difference – the MON number and the Sensitivity is what counts

Although the dyno indicates differently I feel a significant difference in acceleration and engine responsiveness between the CS and Modena. However I always have the car up in the RPM range and the race mode with improved F1 shift might have to do a lot with it.

“Brian C. - That's what its all about for me!! Lightweight, great balance, great chassis, delicate responsiveness, beautiful sound, and lots of g-forces in all directions... and to do that on smooth tracks, undulating roads, and less desirable road surfaces.”

Don’t sweat it – the car is all you expect and more – I bet you can do things on the track you have not done before - I don't get exited easily but the CS does it for me

7. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Hi Thomas,

Did you notice my report on my first experience with Race Mode on.

I have to say I was quite shocked when I first heard thoses pipes fully open.

I don't know how to describe it but I tried.

Brian,

You will not be disapointed. Promise

Wazza

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6213

8. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Hey Alex/Stradman,

He told you the exhaust was "Lighting Up".

Is that for real.

You mean you actually get those little flames out the back.

This I must see.

VERY COOL.

Wazza

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    yes I read it - nice - I am now in race mode all the time - sort of adicted - I only use normal mode if the car is cold - worst thing is that I developed this urge to run through the I90 tunnles in Seattle - if you have heard the F1 cars going to the tunnle in Monaco - close ... very close - sort of the Stradale Tunnle Syndrom - what a show

10. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thomas,

Did you ever get those HP , Torque numbers from the Euro Manual
    I know you asked me some time ago and I completely forgot what with
    Xmas/New Year.?

Wazza

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    no - but F stated that the CS has 425 HP and that the 409HP in the US owner's manual are an error - great if you could look into your owner's manual

in the end I only would like to have a baseline for my car - I am starting now to do a few mods and without validation on a dyno things get hard

12. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Arrgghh!! You all are making me jealous!! Dang it FNA, FedEx me that car already!! :mad:

13. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Hang in thier Brian.
    A cold shower should bo the trick.

OK Thomas.

I can't find any BHP nos. anywhere in the book
    so i'll just give you what i've found.

Type F131 F
    No. of Cyllinders 8 - V90 Deg.
    Cylinder bore 85 mm
    Piston strokw 79 mm
    Piston displacement 3586.2 cm3
    Compression ratio 11:1
    Max Power(97/21/CE) 305 kW
    Corre ponding engine speed 8500 rpm
    Specific power 85 kW/l
    Max torque(97/21/CE) 373 Nm
    Corresponding engine speed 4750 rpm

Performance 0 - 100km/h 4.1 sec
    0 - 400 mt 12.1 sec
    0 - 1000 mt 22.0 sec
    max speed 300 km/h

Kerb weight 1290 Kg or 2844 lb

Anything else ?

Wazza

14. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

sounds good - this matches with the workshop manual - thanks

now the only question that remains is how you get from 305 KW to 425 HP! - that proove is left to the buyer

15. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Good question.

Your presuming 305 kW = 425 BHP.?!?!?!?
    good luck

Remember. I'm the thick one.

Over to someone more inteligent.

Wazza

Ps. enough for one night. I'm off to bed before you start called me "sad" for being up at 5 in the morning.

16. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What mods are you planning?

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Doesn't help. ;)

Well it least some parts of the world get a lightweight Stradale! You only have to carry around the 22lb of catalysts.

We've got to carry around that 22lb plus another 154lb. We have to figure out what the 154lb of cr@p they've added to the US model is... so we can remove it ;) ... but that's another thread.

Well, since you asked... how about weighing your Stradale (with full tank)? Perty please! I wonder if yours is equally fatter than Ferrari is quoting. Or whether the EU vs. US delta is actually even bigger than the 154 lbs the Owners' Manuals indicate.

Thanks!! ;)

18. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    - Challange type of air intake + Tubi air filter
    I have the Challange air intake but did not like the way it is attached to the inlet (on the left side) - so I decided to go for the RM Racing air intake that mirrors the Challange one but has a third attachment point - I'll plan to installe tomorrow (and take some pictures)

- Cats & exhaust
    I tried to get the P car europipe guys to design an exhaust for the CS - not sure if you know their stuff - I would let them drive my car for an exhaust design - they want to focus on P cars because they think the effort to design an exhaust on an engine dyno is to high for the 360 - they are that serious! - but they gave me a lot of good hints - what I want is a larger 100 cell cat + improved piping

Heiko and the Capristo(sp?) guy are working on something too and I try to convince them to keep the SC by-pass valve

- ECU's
    I just started to dig around

360+ HP should be possible!

19. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Have you seen the Imola Racing 360 in the most recent Forza??
    They supposedly have found 80 extra HP from fuel cooler, cat heat shields, sport exhaust, a sweet looking intake box, high lift cams, and ECU mods. Just think if they can do the same or more on the Stradale... 500HP!!

Need some independent verification of all that, though. I've tried contacting them... but still waiting for an answer.

20. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Brian,

I hear you.
    You asked me before about getting it weighed.
    I havn't forgotten it's just going to take a while.

Wazza

21. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thomas,
    On an earlier post somewhere you were looking for
    pictures of EU cats and sensors.

here goes.

If these are not right let me know what you need and i'll get some more.

Wazza

22. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
  23. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
  24. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
  25. wazza

wazza Formula Junior