Going to Germany next week to buy a 993Turbo or 355 | FerrariChat

Going to Germany next week to buy a 993Turbo or 355

Discussion in 'Europe' started by J.Seven, Jan 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Hello everyone, I´m new here.

I´m going to Germany next week to buy a Ferrari 355 Spider or a 993 Turbo. I know they are totally different cars, but I´m going to drive them both and decide which one pleases me most. I´ll go to see a 95 355 Spider in Munich. Car had the major engine service (engine out) done in summer 2003, it has 51000Km and two previous owners. Although I prefer black/beije on Ferraris , this one is red with black interior. Dealer told me I could make a compression ratio test before buying it. Is 51000Km to much for this engines? Are the clutch on theses cars to heavy to operate. The clutch on the 993TT are hidraulic, so it´s very smooth and pleasant to operate it. 993TT gearbox is also very smooth, how it is on the 355 Spider? I´ve test driven three 993TT round here, that´s why I know this. Thanks is advance.

I will see 993TT in Dortmund area, specialy one with factory power kit of 450Hp, it will be a wonderful week I hope. I´ll bring the car by road to Portugal, so it will be a 2600Km trip on a beautiful Spider or a 450Hp 993TT

J.Seven

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nice !! Have fun :)

Could you post here what you will have to do to take the car out of Germany ?? Im planing to buy a car in germany and bring it to France but i dont know exactly what i will have to do to bring it to france.

I think you have to pay a tax to have a temporary license plate after you bought the car and until you passed the frontier..

3. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    You´ll have to make an insurance (250 euros), minimum 15 days counting from the day you bought the car.This insurance had the same validity as the transit plates you will need to have to bring the car to your country. You have to take your car with the papers to Dekra, so that they can check the chassi number and so on. Dekra will be the organism that will give you the plates. This all process (insurance and transit plates) takes around 1 to 2 hours and than your free to step on your right foot and have the pleasure to bring your new Ferrari to legal top speed on those Germans autobahn ;)

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thks for the info :) but....it wont be a Ferrari :(...Well some pple call them a little Ferrari..it will be an Alfa GTV V6 :)..

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @J.Seven,
    this are fantastic news, congratulation.
    About the 355 Spider, Munich/Germany:
    Is this a private sale or a dealer. If it is a dealer please let us -and especially MALFARK- know which dealer it is! It could be very helpful for you....ask Mark here on board:D....he has realy done his own experiences with a dealer in Munich!

Good Luck!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

6. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Hi Wolfgang, I´ve been surfing this site for more than two years, I come here every once in a while. The new board form is more attractive.
    I had a Boxster that I´ve sold in December. When I saw the 355 Spider on 1995, i thought to myself that that was the most beautiful modern car at that time, and I still find it one of the most beautiful. Now that I have the chance to own one, I can barely sleep ;).

The dealer is:
    S & T Sport- und Tourenwagen Handels GmbH
    Würmtalstrasse 117
    D-81375 München

It´s a official Ferrari dealer, any special that I should know about them?

Ps- Very nice pictures from your trip to Egypt :)

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    J.Seven,

thanks for the compliment regarding the Egypt trip. Yes it was so wonderful and we enjoyed it very much.

The reason I have asked: Who is the dealer/seller?
    Mark a.k.a. Malfark has been badly ripped buy a Ferrari dealer from Munich. But NOT S + T !!!!!!! Thats just another sadly story and highly documented in the old board.
    There is nothing special you should know about S+T. I have never heared any bad storys about him or his cars.

Good Luck for your Ferrari purchase..its the right choice!!!!!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

8. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    J.

There is no bigger difference than between a 911 and a 355. Both are beautiful cars but with a very different character. The 911 is the smart buy and the 355 is the passionate buy. The 911 is much more an everyday car and less expensive in maintenance. But........ it is not a Ferrari!

Goodluck

Ton

9. CAR Élite

CAR Élite Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Just my 2 cent...

At first, the numbers of kilometers on a Ferrari engine do not matter...as long as all services were done by a pro. i know owners with a car with more than 100 tkm without any problems.

the 355 clutch is a bit more sensitively than the one on the 993 tt. but it is not really heavy to operate. the 993 gearbox works perfect, the 355 has some problems when cold in 1. and 2. gear and it can not be handled as easy as the 993 one's.

now concerning your two cars...

i would never ever buy that spider you saw at S & T. at first, the car had a front crash (normal car price - 10 000 €), second it's a 95 (had some problems with the roof, etc.) and one of the first spiders delivered in 95.

a 355 with such a high mileage AND crash should not cost more than 60 000 € - so the price is fair. but think about kicking out 10 000 € more and get a younger car with a better mileage. my old 96' one e.g. is sold for 71 000 € with 15 000 km. you can find much better cars above the 70 000 €.

oh, check the leather when you nevertheless want to visit the spider at S & T! sometimes it's in a real bad condition.

the 993 tt...there is not much to say; very worth-stably, mostly good condition and very little problems. only one thing: do NOT buy a car with a power kit other than the original porsche kit (408, 430, 450 hp). most "tuning cars" have damaged gearbox, clutch and engine...too much is not always a good deal ;)

www.car-elite.com

10. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    J.Seven,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your excitement with us! As Wolfgang said, I had an interesting experience with a prominent German dealer. Take a look HERE starting at the bottom of the page.

Good Luck!! MARK

11. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Very sad news. I just receive the service book and papers from the car, and contrary to what dealer had told me, the major engine service(engine out) wasn´t done on 2003, as he first told me, but it was done on 2001 :(. There are one service made on 96, another 98, another in 99, and finally one more in 2001, this is strange.
    Received some pictures of the interior, and leather seats have some scratches and dash board is pealing from the passenger side :(
    The dealer told me that the accident was only a bumper and nothing important, nothing related with suspension and mechanical parts, I asked if he has pictures from the accident, and he told me that he didn´t. He also told me that I could perform on their own garage a compression ratio test.

I´m so dessapointed, the first pictures and info I got the car seemed to be really good, but from the pictures I recived today the story is not that good. I could saw that there are many stone chips on the front and so on. I had schedule everything with this dealer after the first conversation, but now I´ll give up this car :(

Car Elite I appreciate you comments, thanks.

J.Seven

12. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    I would agree....walk away from it. Patience - the right car will materialise! Have you looked at the 22 x 355's on being offered by Kim Dennig? Go HERE and check them out.

Cheers, MARK

13. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Wolfgang, Do you know these cars?

ONE

TWO

THREE

Cheers, MARK

14. J.Seven

J.Seven Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Malfark, thanks for the link, but I´ve seen some of those cars at the original dealer, and some of them are far cheaper than Dennig are asking. Thanks anyway.

J.Seven

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hello people! J.Seven I wish you all the best! the only way for ME to help would be to offer you my 1998 355 Triple black spyder i have for sale with only 8500KM ALL original 10000%. And lots and lots of Porsches. Problem is.....my dealership is in Canada :(

Hello from Canada! I wish all you fanatics a very prosperous new year!

www.worldfinecars.com

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Mark,
    I just know this cars from the web! Haven`t seen or test driven one of them. I spoke to the Swiss dealer about the 512TR, saw (in the net) the great one with the 512M wheels but high milages and the other one with low milages in Germany.
    You remember it was a hard long search for my "beast". Are you serious on the way to change to a 12 cylinder????
    You are THE NAN for me! Go for it! And if you need any help, I`m here and we could drive together to some dealers for a closer look....maybe we could also ask R.F. for assistance. Just advice me buddy, you are very welcome!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

17. taunus

taunus Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2002
    Germany, Osnabrueck
    Full Name:
    Ansgar
    This car is offered by Tamsen in Bremen, Germany. www.tamsen.de
    This car is offered by Autodromo in Muenster, Germany. www.autodromo.de

18. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    J.

If there is something about a Ferrari that you don't trust then walk away from it. The right car is somewhere else waiting for you!

Mark,

Are you going for the big 12!

Ton

19. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Ton,
    come on lets talk about it!!!!!!!
    I`m amazed buddy, looks like you are realy on the way to buy a big 12?!?
    Are you going for the 512TR? Man what car!
    I`ll keep my fingers crossed!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

20. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi Wolfgang,

I really don't know yet. It is very tempting to go for the big 12.
    But I really love my 328. It is in an absolute pristine condition. And what should I go for? 512TR? 456GT? Testarossa? 512BB?

I guess that I have to think about it!

Ton

21. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Ton,
    easy answer, just go for YOUR DREAM CAR !

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

22. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Gents,

The thought of a 512TR has crossed my mind ;) Like Ton, I love my 328 and hope to get more driving time with her this year. Nevertheless, thinking ahead, I will keep my eyes open for a good TR.

If you spot one that looks good Wolfgang, keep me posted, and thanks for offering to view & drive with me :D

@Taunus - thanks for the links!!

Cheers, MARK

23. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Mark,
    you are always very welcome.
    Testarossa / 512TR / or any 12 cylinder = Real Males Toys!!!!
    Don`t get me wrong on this but its realy another world of driving IMO.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

24. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    I am still a 12-cylinder virgin I'm afraid.....I've never driven a 12 Ferrari or even ridden in one! My time will come...

Cheers, MARK

25. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Your time will come very soon!!!!!!!!
    You are still kindly invited to drive my "beast". I`m not kidding Mark, I would like to see you driving my testa and than I swore you, you will have damn f**** big problem to tell Debra: "I NEED A TESTA and can`t live without any longer."
    Thats what happened to me/Anja after my first testa drive.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI