308 gearing | FerrariChat

308 gearing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jimangle, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    For those of you that have turbo charged your 308's. Did you do anything to the gearing? I feel that my 1979 308 is geared low enough as it is, and any mods done would be restricted because of the low gearing? Is it easy to gear the tranny higher or differential higher?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jim
    I have no direct experience. Mark E. or one of the other guys should post.

I have talked to the guys at QV London (who have raced a bunch of 308s/328s, won the Maranello Challenge series 4X in the UK and had the cars they prepped come in 1, 2, 3 in the Classic Series in the UK for last year - impressive indeed). Anyway, they've modified them for track use with dog boxes et al (and put DCOEs on a 308 before, but that's a story for another day).

I caqn't speak for them, but from my dialog with Mike, their general experience seems to be the gearbox is the weak link of the power plant. As far as modifications usually go, they described the most common modification typically being lowering the 5th gear ratio. Even at Road America (the fastest track I have driven in the MidWest), I'm not pulling max RPM in top gear. Mike (of QV) tells me the same story is true at the UK tracks and there is a big step from 4th to 5th.

If you've got something specific in mind, why not give them a call? They've been more than happy to share their experiences with me and I think they'll guide you in a suitable direction given your needs and will either access the part or make it for you.

HTH
    Philip

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have posted about this a few times and there is a lot of info in the archives about this

basically the only thing you can do is go to a straight cut transfer gear set which increases vibration and wear but gives you about 8-9% longer legs.

that is for 308 and 328 cars--for 348 cars i do not know--but I do know that there is a real shortage of 348 transaxles because all the 348 challenge cars eat them up like candy--they are seriously weak.