The view $3k/month gets you | FerrariChat

The view $3k/month gets you

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by judge4re, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Life in the ex-pat ghetto.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sorry the picture looks bad, its better in high res (and when its not raining). The building in the middle is the Jin Mao tower. I can also see the top of the Oriental Pearl tower from the roof top.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Cool! How do you like Shanghai? I always wanted to take a trip there. Good vacation spot? People friendly? Easy for a non-Chinese speaking person to navigate around and have a good time?

My parents will probably be there before I will. My mother really wants to see China, and I'm thinking of sending them for their wedding anniversary next year. Any tips?

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I love it. Karen is still on the fence but willing to make the move. We should be fully moved by the middle of Feb. Very friendly. Extremely low crime for a city of 20 million. Beijing is more for tourists. Shanghai has some nice spots. I'll post pics of some of the major attractions. My manderin is improving, but I'm still a beginner. You can manage to see the sights without speaking the language and a good map.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The 88 story Jin Mao building. Had my 30th birthday dinner at the Italian restaurant on the 56th floor, after dinner drinks at Cloud Nine at the top.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Oriental Pearl Tower.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The bund from the top of the Pearl Tower.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow these are great, good luck to you and your wife!

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    thanks judge, very impressive!

I do a fair amount of business with some places in China, so it's a good "excuse" to go there with the S.O. (always wanted to go there anyways, just because it looks so foreign and interesting). My mom surprised me by exclaiming how much she wanted to see it when I mentioned possibly doing a biz trip there, so its good to hear from someone who'se "been there, done that" before I send a couple of old folks on a plane half way around the world :)

10. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Great pics man, enjoy it.

11. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Very interesting photographs. Thanks for posting them. How long do you plan on staying?

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    At least 2 years.

13. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Well Eric, it was nice meeting you here in Alabama. Years ago, I took a trip around the world but I missed Shanghai. It looks beautiful.

14. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Just don't do Xmas there. It gets quite "chilly". In 2001, my girlfriend and I spent Xmas there. I was working crazy hours just outside of Hong Kong so I rushed onto the plane. Now S. China is quite temperate so I was wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. Actually, being a SoCali boy, I'm in shorts year round. I grab a coat and my luggage and ended up in -30 degrees Celsius with the wind chill. It actually wasn't too bad. We hailed a cab and got to our hotel.

The look on the doorman's face was priceless when he saw us walking up to the door. He was bundled up in a cap and ear muffs and gloves and a huge long coat. He stood there stunned for a moment and then helped us with our bags. He just kept shaking his head. It was hilarious.

After we dropped off our bags, we were starving for dinner so we decided to go to a Korean BBQ place we saw as we were driving up to the hotel. I went out again in my shorts and the doorman just started laughing. It was a most memorable Xmas. Especially at the top of the Pearl Tower...in shorts of course...freezing your balls off. :)

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    judge,

shanghai is an awesome city. i was there last year and visited jin mao tower on several occasions for drinks as cloud 9. awesome view from the top (pic attached). will be going back in sept. for the F1 race. if you're still there we should meet up, there will be several of us attending from the fchat as well as the local FCA club. do you ever make it over to the area i believe is called the french concessionary?

16. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    no one likes a showoff

17. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    MORE PICS!!! MORE PICS!!

18. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I have a very important question. Do they drive on the correct side of the street...or the left side?

19. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Rudy,
    it depends which way you are facing...

20. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    they are left-hand drive cars, just like the states. in hong kong, they are RHD.

21. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    who's the showoff? judge is simply showing/telling where he's living for the next two years.