Optima battery for a 360...do they pop in? | FerrariChat

Optima battery for a 360...do they pop in?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tubeguy, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    and if so...do you have the model number? Another f-chat member had to use some spacers.

TIA!

2. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    I'm looking for a good replacement option too. I guess I let mine to a bit long without use, and the trickle charger hasn't been able to get the battery to hold a charge.

So what's a good replacement? And for that matter, anyone have a quick set of directions for replacing the battery?

Thanks
    Dave

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "Stockpro" (andrew) did some checking for Kuzi and found that Optima said they don't specifically make a battery for the 360, so you are probably going to have to adapt one of their existing units. I think he said Optima was concerned theirs may be too tall.

Most of the FNA dealers are recommending Interstate batteries, apparently they have something that will bolt right in, and seem to work well.

From what others have said, it sounds like anything is better than the stock Fiamm battery...

4. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    Thanks Dave, I'll look into Interstate...

Dave

5. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Isn't there a safety issue regarding the use of non-gel type battery for the 360? When my FIAMM battery died on the 360 Spider, my dealer used a Bosch unit temporarily because the FIAMM was out of stock due to big demand from many dead batteries for the 360. Although the Bosch had better capacity it was switched out after the OEM FIAMM became available.

My understanding is that the gel type battery is safer in a crash situation (ie. acid leaks). This is especially important for the 360 since the battery is INSIDE the car.

Aren't the gel type FIAMM used in the US models?

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I, personally am not an advocate of batteries. I find it more effective to charge my cars through the wall outlet :)

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would recommend checking the archives for details on 360 batteries, there has been one or two threads on this in the past month.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Without wishing to hi-jack your thread, I am a big fan of gel batteries. Mazda fitted a gel in the Miata precisely because of hte concern it would rupture in a crash (it was in the trunk, near the antenna). A good size front end wallop in a 308 will likely nail the battery too (it's down by the rack).

The PO of my car had fitted the wrong battery, not secured it properly etc. Awful mess to clean out once vibration had caused the battery to start leaking.

What do the challenge cars use?
    Philip

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima is not a gel cell, but uses spiral wound cells. More info here:
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp

Supposedly this technology has no liquid electrolyte like a gel cell, yet has other advantages over the gel cell technology....

I had an Optima in my 308 for almost three years, no complaints.

10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks Dave. I did not know that.

11. Gambler360

Gambler360 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Wake Forest,NC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan scoggins
    I just had my battery go out in my 2000 360 Modena. Rather than paying a boatload of monery for a piece of crap battery from the dealer I just took mine out (after turning off the main power switch) and took it down to batteries plus. They told what kind to replace it with which of course I did and it works like a charm. I have had it in there for over a month and a half. I drive the car about twice a week at the most and I have yet to start the car and notice any significant drop in power with the starter. If anyone is interested I will get the specs off of the battery tonight and post them in the morning.

12. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    I for one would certainly appreciate the specs or p/n of the battery, Gambler. And a stupid question, the battery's under the footrest in the passenger footwell, correct? Other than switching off the power connector, any tricks to removal I should expect?

Dave

13. Gambler360

Gambler360 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Wake Forest,NC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan scoggins
    Tracknut,

I will get you the specs tonight. The battery is behind the upright panel at your feet on the passenger side. As for removing the old battery I simply turned off the main switch under the front hood the disconnected the battery terminals and took piece of crap FIAMM(sp?) out and left it in the recycle pile at Batteries Plus. If you pull back the carpet at the top of this panel it will reveal the two phillips head screws that hold the panel up. Simply unscrew them and pull back the panel to reveal the battery. The rest of the setup is just like any other battery.

Check back tomorrow and I will have the specs posted then. If you don't see them tomorrow just email me to remind me at [email protected]. I have a lot going on tomorrow so the chances are pretty good I may forget to post them.