Drive them all the time | FerrariChat

Drive them all the time

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mondial86, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I know thst some of you never drive your cars in the rain ,and never with salt on the road. I try to avoid bad weather as well but sometimes it happens. my friend took these pictures in col. last spring and I was happy to see that there was salt all over these wonderfull old and new cars.rember it can be washed off .DRIVE THEM ,CLEAN THEM!
    DAVID

2. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
  3. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
  4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here are 2 pictures of wet Ferraris from last year's Whistler event.

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    They didn't melt and work just fine the the wet stuff.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have a little 924 and I don't drive it in the snow or rain.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    maybe some people don't drive them not becuase they don't want to get them dirty but because they are not confident enough to drive in the conditions and maybe subconsciously or consciously are afraid of crashing and causing a lot of damage (?)

8. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I'll admit I don't drive my car in the rain because I don't want the extra cleaning effort it entails. Yep, american laziness at its best.

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I don't drive in the wet:
    1) Because it's no fun.
    2) Too much time to clean it afterwards.

IMO, driving in salt is crazy. Where are you going to wash the car when it's freezing outside? The salt becomes a frozen blob on the underside that you can't hardly get off unless you have hot high pressure water, and who has this at home? As the salt sits on the steel, it slowly eats away at your precious car. If you stop at the car wash, you still have the drive home which puts MORE salt on the car.

10. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Fortunately, salt's not used around here.

11. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I would never drive the car in salt. But rain would not hurt her I guess.

Ton

12. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I won't be concerne about driving the Ferrari in the rain if I were alone on the road. I try not to drive mine on the rain, because there are too many clumpsy drivers in the road when it rains.

At least here in Spain and in Southern California is that way.

- Julio.

13. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Yeah, I never understood why owners refuse to let the car see rain. I think Ferrari understands that there is rain in this world and designs their cars accordingly. Thats why they have windshield wipers. In fact I drove it last weekend in the rain and my friend took a pic because he couldnt believe what I was doing...

14. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Nice Mondial! What year is it?

Ton

15. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
  16. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I drive it under the rain, but only when I am sure I am not going to be in a major traffic area or highway while rainning.

Can you imagine how it feels to be in the 405 near LA under heavy traffic and raining, sitting stoped in your Ferrari surrounded by tons of SUVs with moms driving around you with a cup of coffee in one hand and a mobile phone in the other and children jumping inside their cars!!!

It gets really scarry!!!!

Julio.

17. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    My Mondials a 1985. Here's another pic my friend took. As you can tell, Im not happy that he's making such a big deal of the fact im driving in the rain.

18. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Sorry, I did not pay enough attention to the name! It was obvious to be an '85. I drove my 328 in the rain a couple of times and it did not make any difference. Just have to watch the throttle.

Ton

19. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I agree. You're sitting at a stop light and you hear that sickening sound of a car with locked up wheels on a wet road....followed by that thud. I used to drive my 355 with the top down in the rain through Topanga Cyn road here in Los Angeles, then put it up when I got to PCH. It was great. This was VERY early in the morning.

20. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I have just had a very frustrating weekend of blue, sunny skies but roads covered in salt - so didn't take the chance.

I also think you'd be crazy to go out in a Ferrai in salt, especially in anything pre 1980... (By the way, does anyone know if there is an Italian word for 'rustproofing'...?!).

Also, I wish the owner would take the mudflaps off that lovely 330 GTC...! :)

John

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    NO, er, what is that? :)

Pete

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My 275GTB,308,and TR were daily drivers and I drove them in rain and snow. I drive my new Maser coupe daily as well. These shots were taken on the Colorado Grand and when you use your car on any event it gets messy. Cars like these get full service and cleaning after events so it's really no big deal. When I took my MK-IV to Goodwood it got so muddy that US customs wouldn't let it back in until Agricultural Dept signed off as it had too much "Foreign soil". Taking it apart and cleaning is all part of it.

23. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yes. It's pronunced ga ra ge.

24. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    #24 TOM B, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm off to Sears to buy some drill bits and hacksaw blades. I promise to wash her when I get back. About a gallon of Griot's Speed Shine and some 70's rock on the CD player. Three hours later she'll be good enough for 1st place at Cavalino. Well, maybe not, but at least you won't need a tetanus shot after riding in her. :)

I love driving my Ferrari !

Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    It's kinda' rugged and cool looking dirty.