F1 + 6speed in 575 | FerrariChat

F1 + 6speed in 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobracing, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobracing

bobracing Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    F1 + 6speed in 575 more photos and info please

2. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    for the track F1 is the only way to go.

for the street 6 spd is the only way to go. F1 is WAY too boring on the street. to compare get in your pickup and put it in first gear gen move the lever to 2nd. now you know the exhilaration of the F1 shifter on the street. 6spd is just way more involving and fun for a street car especially when you cant drive too fast on the street. F1 on the track? cant beat the fun there. I have both, F1 for the track and 6spd for the street each is wrapped by many different F cars. F1 trans in 360 Stradale is the most docile so far, very much for a lady. my 360 challenge F1 is all brute force, its a blast on the track.

360 or 550/575 with an exhaust and a 6spd on the street is very hard to beat the fun

ultimately you have to decide.

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

4. bobracing

bobracing Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    I Have a photo of a 575 with F1 and 6speed in the same car but i cant make it smaler so i can post it here maybe somebody else have this pic that can post it

5. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    #5 prova, Jan 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    #6 prova, Jan 18, 2004
  7. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    How do I get that?

8. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    maranelloman: of course on the track the 6 speed is "a delight, rewards you for good technique, heel toe" blah blah blah however the F1 car will kick the stuffing out of the 6spd car on the track because a human, any human cannot down shift as fast as the computer on the F1 equiped car. is the 6 spd fun on the track? without a doubt!! I prefer 6spd period. if I was serious about running on the track then the 6 spd is not an option.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wait wait wait. how do you dissengage the regualr 6 speed in order to engage the the sequential or to put it on auto. that has to be one of the coolest "options" ive ever seen. Wouldnt you have to have two completly different transmissions to get that to work though or what.how would it work setup like that.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    whoa! On the same car - someone please post an explanation!

11. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    How do you guys make photos smaller so that you can post them. I've tried but despite my photos being JPEG it won't attach to this forum because they are too large. How do I shrink them to fit?

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #12 Sfumato, Jan 18, 2004
    That MAY be Clay Regazzoni's car. He needs hand controls, and I believe
    he shifts with normal shifter, but uses hand controls for throttle/brake. He prob shifts, uses paddles for gas/brakes.
    He has hand controls in his SWB, has a school for disabled drives, and races a LOT of vintage events.
    Here is his F40 with hand controls
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Agree. I love the 360 in F1 but I think I prefer 575M in 6 speed. I drove both 575M in 6 speed and F1. I agree as Tim said too boring on F1. Nice to get a feel on shifting the gear on high HP car

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Saty away from anything that has an F! trans unless you have all kinds of money to throw out the window.

Why do they need the clutch in an f1 cars (street cars that is) anyway?? whay can they not just make it a quick shifting auto trans that you cintrol the shifts on. They do this with bimmer and others..why is Ferrari doing this the hard way? To replace the clutch in a 505/575 is not a small job,and with an F1 trans the changes are much more frequent if you intened to drive the car in day to day traffic

15. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    The bmw is not clutchless. Its clutch is also operated by electrohydraulics.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

My mistake then..but lexus and others are just modified auto boxes with the option of paddel shifting..Is Porsche not like this also?

17. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Until one misses a shift! OUCH!

18. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Tim,
    I have never driven on a track nor am I interested. You are right. The 6-speed using my good left leg is fun.

Never driven less than 12 cylinders

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Tim, I will bet that I am just as fast (lap times) at my favorite tracks with my 6 speed as I would be in an F1 car. Partly, this is beacuse of my extensive track experience in my 550 already, and with its transmission on track. But partly because of the delay the F1 system programs into the downshift as it matches revs. Honesty,. it is no quicker than I am with changes & blips.

But, to each his own..

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    how much extra weight does having 2 transmissions add to the car and how can you toggle between the two?

21. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    For all of you bemoaning the fact that Ferrari offers F1 electronically controlled transmissions, I'm sure you could petition the factory to bring back hand crank starters. Now that would take a real man, and how much more exciting!

Until you drive a really good paddle shifted transmission equiped car, such as the 575, you have no idea how good it is - on the street, on the track, everywhere.

I really enjoy my F1, and in sport mode the shfts are neck-snappingly fast. Great fun when you're up against a ricer or a p-car, especially those with manual shifters and redlines that come up waaay too fast for their drivers.

22. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I feel that the only way to go is with the six speed. I have driven both and feel that the f1 takes away from the driving experience.

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Uhh, no way David... I've never seen anyone who can downshift as fast as these cars in sport mode or race mode. In normal mode, maybe you can keep up.

I can't argue with the "its more fun to shift" argument... wholly personal opinion. I won't even argue with your assertion that you'd be just as fast in lap times... I am skeptical, but lap times are a "total package" thing specific to each driver. For me, I'm definitely faster with F1.

But no way on raw downshift speed... I can throw in downshifts in the middle of a slalom, hitting the left paddle just as my hands reach horizontal and the car has downshifted before my hands have left horizontal, never disrupting my smooth steering movement at the fastest steering point in the slalom! Try that with your stick!

24. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes, Porsche's tiptronic is a slushbox with manual control... and many other makes have similar manual controls for their slushbox. But they remain a slushbox! There is no equating a manually-controlled auto tranny (torque converter) with a paddle-controlled standard transmission (like Ferrari's F1 and BMW's SMG). Entirely different other than both lack a clutch pedal for your left foot.

25. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    If you created a car with both F1 and stick, you wouldn't have two transmissions! The F1 uses the exact same transmission as the stick.

In the stick, you have a clutch pedal connected to the clutch such that when you push the pedal down, it disengages the clutch. With the F1, the clutch pedal is gone and instead there is some hydraulics to do what your left leg would otherwise be doing... engaging and disengaging the same clutch.

In the stick, the stick is used to move the desired gear into place. With the F1, you remove the stick and add the paddles, which direct the hydraulics to move the same gears into place.

Same tranny and clutch... just different linkages to operate them.

To allow both on the same car, then, you simply need to make the linkages switchable. When you put it in F1-mode, you'd need to disconnect the clutch pedal from the clutch and connect the F1 hydraulics (or set up overrides). When you put it in F1-mode, you'd need to disconnect the the stick from the gearing and connect the F1 hydraulics. When you turn off F1-mode, you'd probably require the stick to be put in neutral position and switching it off would put the car in neutral as it reconnects the stick linkages.

It can be done, but would add a lot of complexity and would add some extra weight from having both linkages plus even more for the extra mechanisms to connect and disconnect the linkages.