With Or without the Grill? | FerrariChat

With Or without the Grill?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #1 360CS, Jan 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im thinking of going to put the Carbon fibre rear grill on my 360 spider, Im not really sure if I prefer the colour coded stock item. I like the look on the 355 but not sure on the 360.

Whats your views guys STICK or SWAP??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    That's the black grill accross the back which you can see the engine through, right? If so, then personally I think they look fabulous.

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Yes but im thinking of putting the Carbon fibre one?? So Which is better Carbon fibre or the Challenge Mesh gril??

Its a tricky decision.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Personally, i prefer the Challenge mesh rear grill; have to admit i haven't seen the carbon grill on a car , only in pics.
    Joe,have you seen carbon grill on a car?
    T

5. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Only in pics Tony, but it does look swank.

However I saw a 360 at brands today with mesh and it looks nice too???

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Maybe a dumb question but will carbon fibre "wear" as well as the mesh grill.What's diff. in price between them?
    T

7. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

I suppose the carbon fibre grill can scratch, but so can stock item, Carbon is 200-300 more expensive.......

Its a difficult decision to make.......not as bad as the one Steve,s trying to make tho...lol

8. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Joe

I have not seen the C/F item but the mesh grill does look extremely good. The proper ones are powder coated and really durable.

Difficult decision !!! Nice one to have

J

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Its a difficult decision to make.......not as bad as the one Steve,s trying to make tho...lol[/QUOTE]

It's a tough life for that lad!

Re your grill, is it defo carbon and not mesh you want ? At least with mesh, you know there'll be demand on Ebay if you decide you don't like it.
    T

10. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    It's the mesh one I am thinking of..fab.

11. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    We need some pics of the CF grill on a car! The mesh ones look good on both the 355 & 360.

12. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Joe,

On Manu's web Site there are two types of Carbon Grills.

One with the little holes just in the centre section and one with the little holes right acrross like the metal Chaelenge ones.

Which one were you thinking of ?

I definatley think you should go and check them out first.
    In fact let me know and if you like I wouldn't mind coming with you to take a look as I also might be tempted in a carbon grill myself.

My concerns are.

Is the carbon grill going to take the pounding of the engine cover not only being occasionly slammed against it but also from vibration.
    You'll notice on most 360's the top of the grill section can get a bit scuffed just from the constant vibration of the engine lid on it.

Also heat. I can't remember on the standard 360 but on the Strad there is a lot of heat build up around that part of the engine (probably from the exhaust), so much so that on the Strad alot of tin foil is wrapped around the exposed areas of the underside of the engine cover (above the exhaust) and, Actually on all areas that might be affected by the exhaust.

Question: Is the carbon material more or less affected by heat?.

On the Strad carbon is already used in place of metal down the sides of the engine cover window. Perhaps this statement of fact already says something about the carbons heat resistant heat qualities as this area certainly gets very hot after a good run out.

Or the fact that carbon was not originally used as the material of choice for the grill says something about it's lack of heat resistance;
    I don't think so. I think it was more of a styling issue.

Anyway these questions need to be asked.

If you fancy a run down to Manu's to take a look some time soon let me know.
    I also want to take a look at some other carbon bits to check out the quality, Like the door sills and jams.

Wazza

13. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Was wondering why you were checking out the carbon bits quality. Do you have a problem with them in your strad? On the strad car that I drove ten days ago the sills look good to me.

14. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Hi Alex,

No problems with Strad AT ALL.

The carbon bits look so awesome I just want to get more.

I know that adding bits and pieces to the car is going to upset the pureists.
    But I think it's just adding my mark to the car.
    I can assure you I'm not going to add furry dice or any thing that looks boy raceish. I'm just tweeking it here and there.

It seems to me that when the car was first concieved someone at the top ordered the car sent down to the carbon bits shop with the strict instructions not to return until the car was completely covered head to toe in carbon.
    Except I think they missed a bit.!?!?!?!.

So hence the interest in a Carbon Grill, Door sills and centre internal light hub. and anything ales I can think of.

In fact I'm having the wife sculpted in carbon too just to save a few more Kgs.

BTW Alex I know the waiting's dreadful but worth it.

Wazza