any TRACK in NY/NJ where i can just pay and drive?(no instructor) | FerrariChat

any TRACK in NY/NJ where i can just pay and drive?(no instructor)

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by giandu, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. giandu

giandu Rookie

Dec 10, 2003
    any TRACK in NY/NJ where i can just pay and drive?(no instructor)

2. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
  3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The Turnpike! As to closed tracks, I am not aware of any. Atco has a drag strip open to the public if you are into that, however, Ferraris are not about drag races.

Ken

4. YellowMaranello

Jan 7, 2004
    Mount Holly, NJ
    Full Name:
    Pete Gold
    Englishtown Raceway is currently in the process of building a closed road course. I'm not sure when it will be open though.

5. EricImports69

EricImports69 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I heard about that E-Town rumor...I think its true..Im big into the import scene now cuz thats all i can afford..no F-car yet. But everytime I go to E-Town event there is always Ferrari's, but just not racing..

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Aerial Photo - Anticipated completion in late Summer, 2004.

7. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes, depending on your experience level. Some organizations I run with allow "pay and drive", if you're qualified. Are you?

vty,

--Dennis

8. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Guys, the pavement has been down since late 2001. I snuck out on Thanksgiving that year for a few slow laps in the street car (ssshhhhh!) I have heard various stories. One is that they never got the right approvals to put it in.

Regardless, it IS NOT SAFE. Period. There are several places where an off track car could easily intersect another part of the track. Worse, the "backstraight kink", which is a good 110mph corner in anything fast, exits 10-15ft from a fence, then the access road to the dragstrip!

It's a pity. There are some cool elevation changes not obvious in the pictures and a banked turn too. They posted a drawing of the course before breaking ground and a friend of mine photoshopped it to point out the dangerous bits. Either they never got his comments or they ignored them.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  10. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    If this tracks gets "LEGALLY" approved for anything it'll just be for karting. The track, as mentioned, is VERY unsafe, several cross over points are easily achieved, meaining if you run off course, you are just about going to die no matter what direction you go.

The problem was they did not build these legally really, they bypassed the normal stages you go through when designing and building a normal road course...Its really a pity, because if they did this properly and got maybe twice the land, it could have made a lot of money, having regional scca races and whatnot.

Don't plan on this opening for a while. Hopefully this thing will be open for Karts, so we can all go shifter karting and use the track for something.

But definitely don't plan on driving a car on there :(