I need advice on the Keys for vacation | FerrariChat

I need advice on the Keys for vacation

Discussion in 'Florida' started by SMS, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Well, on a whim last night I booked tickets to Miami over Valentines day weekend to get my wife out of the snow of west Michigan. Plan is to spend a couple days in the Key West area, problem is I've never been there. Any tips on itinerary from the Florida guys? How about accomodations for the nights? Any exotic car rentals there? We get to Miami @2pm thurs and leave Miami sun am.

Thanks in advance, Bill

(this is what we're getting away from)

2. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    If you want a very private resort try Little Palm Island. This is a very expensive resort and spa on a private island off Big Pine Key. Checkout their website www.littlepalmisland.com.

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Debbie, looks great but you're right, a little pricey. (I've not been saving up for this trip!) Have you stayed there?

4. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    We have stayed there three different times. My husband and I like to scuba dive and Loo Key is a great place and is close to Little Palm. We go in the summer when the rates are lower. Last year when we were their Jeff Burton, of NASCA fame, was also there. He is a very nice guy with a very very nice boat! I think you would still call that floating house a boat!

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    There is the Eaton house, a BB, they have their own private garden that is world famous in the heart of Key West. Have not stayed there but heard great things.

We will announce a Key West Ralley in the next few days. March 6 to March 7th.

When you are here in Miami you can rent an exotic. There are two rental places. Can't give you rates. No idea.

Martin
    305-867-7740

I am in Miami Beach.

6. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Thanks for the tips!

7. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    bill, Is that Spring Lake? I thought there would be more ice right now. When my wife and I were there 5 years ago we stayed at the Lightbourn Inn ( B&B) It was nice but not fancy. Great breakfast.

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Yeah, there is alot more snow and ice now, the photo is a month old or so. Ice sailboats were out this past couple of weekends.

Thanks Cavallino Motors, we're now booked at the Eaton.

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

SMS... the wife and I stayed @ Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key abt 2 yrs ago - It was a fantastic experience. Flew into Miami, rented an Eclipse convertible and made the 1.5-2 hr drive. I think it is mile marker 61. We did parasailing, kayaking, snorkling, and the Dolphin encounter among lots of nothing.

http://www.hawkscay.com/

10. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    The drive from Miami to Key west is great. Worth the trip just for the ride alone. Key west is very relaxed (a little too relaxed for me), you will have a good time.

11. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    I stayed at a lovely litle B&B in downtown Key West a couple of weeks ago. The prices are reasonable and the people there are lovely. It is called Courtney's Place.

Their website is: www.courtneysplacekeywest.com
    Their Email address is: [email protected]
    Their Phone number is: 800-869-4639

It is NOT Little Palm Island (which I love) but, then again, it doesn't cost like LPI.

For those that have been there, how is it that you never seem to see any staff at LPI, but they are always right there when you wnat something????

Scottie

12. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Scottie,
    I was at Courtney's Place over MLK Day weekend and have to agree completely with your comments. The place is wonderful, and the staff is unobtrusive but there when you need them. Some of the neighbors are a little interesting though.

TWS

13. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    this weekend we have a meeting in Sanibel Island on the Left Coast for a lunch cruise on the Gulf of Mexico. See Sarasota threat.

On Saturday we meet at one of our Squid brothers house to discuss the future of the Squids.

Martin

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Make sure you take her to the Bull on Duvall Street, on the roof they have an open air bar that features full nude body art. These nude people, ussally ladies but not allways, lie in these lounge chairs whilst being airbrushed in art...interesting concept, I could just see one of these beauties painted as a 288 gto...

15. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Nudity and beer....now that is a strange concept. I guess that will be a stop on our next Key West Rally. :)

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nudity and beer works but an interesting way to do Key West is to headquarter on a boat.

Having done the drive-stay-at-hotel in downtown Key West versus the boat approach, the stay in downtown gets a bit stale because the town just seems like one bar-tshirt shop-restaurant after another. When I did the eight hour (one way) drive to Key West from Tampa in the 80's, it struck me that had we wanted to drink and eat all day in the blazing sun, we could have gone to Ybor City.

It was very fun to hear my colleague return Key West's finest alcohol products back to the city water department all night long after a day of mixing media (so to say).

The real lure (if you will) of Keys is whats happening out in the water as Debbie pointed out, world class diving, fishing, boating, etc. On an impromteau sail boat trip down from Tierra Verde, the experience was all together different. Catch and eat dinner on the boat, enjoy the beautiful
    water and pop into town to see the t*t$, etc. at your leisure, return to the basin where the real parties are going on after hours.

If you cant get a boat, at least rent a waterscooter, charter a fishing excursion and get out on the water for a day or two. You'll be happy you did.

BHW

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    We just got back to Michigan and it's -1f today. Had a great time and the weather was perfect. Delta Airlines on the otherhand, sucks. Anyway, already planning trip #2 to include more time on the water, maybe even take our own boat and drive down. Only saw one Ferrari, a red/tan TR with polished wheels parked at a marine store. Another observation, Hwy 1 is the only place I've ever been where EVERYBODY drives the speed limit, even in the 35 mph zones!

Planned to look up Cavallino Motors but time got away and we got back to Miami too late.

Thanks again all for the tips,
    Bill

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The ONLY way to do the Keys is on a boat, unless you really enjoy hanging with a bunch of fat drunks. 25 years or so ago, some of the lesser known Keys were interesting, e.g., Little Pine Key, but today it's all a zoo.

Barton is right. Get out on the water. This changes everything. Just remember, don't fool with the lobster traps unless you want to end up as bait in one!

Dr "Conch" Tax

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! There's A REASON everybody drives the speed limit!

Don't ask me how I know.

Speedy "Watch out in those bushes over there" 308

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a great brother-in-law, in Tavernier.

Best part of my first marriage, wish I could have kept him!