F1 and roadcars... | FerrariChat

F1 and roadcars...

Discussion in 'F1' started by bostonmini, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Just out of curiosity, because we all know that F1 success and involvement in the sport is really one of the main claims to fame that Ferrari has, do you all think that roadcar sales are effected if the team falls off the podium? I wonder what the status of the Enzo project would be if the team wasn't so successful, in other words, when they say a tribute based on success, what would the car be without that success? Maybe they wouldn't do it?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do believe that most people want to be involved with winners, and thus road car sales have been helped by the recent F1 success, and probably has a lot to do with all the hype and hot air being exchanged about the Enzo.

Pete

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I tried to make that point in the "Why isn't the Gallardo not selling" thread and was outshouted by the Lambo boys. That by itself wouldn't surprise me as it is their only way of defense, since Lambos have no racing heritage that is worth anything. But it really got me puzzled when Ferrari owners questioned the point of racing heritage.

Maybe they should turn in their keys and buy some Pontiac Grand AM?
    :)

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Ferrari Formula One didn't do so hot in the 80's and early 90's. Didn't stop people from buying their road cars or dampen enthusiasm in them. 288GTO was released in '84 and the F40 in '87.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I like to see them win WC, but I'm quite happy as long as they're in the game trying. I have lots of respect for Renault, Jaguar and Toyota despite their mixed results. I have little to no respect for a sports car manufacturer who isn't even in the game. That's just lame. And I think had Ferrari quit in the eighties, their reputation and with it the sales would have suffered consequently.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree, and I also believe that potential sales if not real sales have increased with their recent success. Lets face it Ferrari have never been a Minardi in F1 and thus always been up near the top which puts them in a special place within motorsport enthusiasts heart.

Thus even if not winning, they are usually competitive in F1 which is the peak of motorsport ... pretty good place to show you can do the business. Winning is just the icing on the cake.

Pete

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

Well if that is the case i am the Key Master. Just send the keys and cars over my way and i will see to it that they finad a good home :)