Who plays on www.PokerRoom.com? | FerrariChat

Who plays on www.PokerRoom.com?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know the chances, but the first poker room I entered TimN88 was there. There are like 10,000 people playing and I end up in the same room as Tim.

Pretty cool, we were playing Texas Hold Em with play money. They also have real money games and tournaments. Anyone else play there?

Tim got the idea we should have a FerrariChat.com room.

www.pokerroom.com

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Tonight i was playing online poker with a friend of mine who i go to school with. Im new at texas hold 'em so i was getting some practice. MY friend had to stop playing to type up a lab (which i should have been typing also!). A short while later, someone with the name 'rob328gts' comes into the room....
    Anyway, who would be up for a weekly game (play money, not real) at www.pokerroom.com?

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I definately didnt see this post when i just posted a thread of my own.
    The computer was really screwing me over. I didnt get anything. I had alot of flush possibilites, but didnt get any of the suits i needed on the river.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll merge the threads. I'm still playing, up to 8k now, but on table with people with 30k.

5. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i play at pokerstars.com

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Man, that last room was wicked. Average 10k pots, I lost it all on one hand. That was a good time, now I'll be tempted to play with real money. When we had the FC Atlantic City gathering I won all my money on Black Jack and lost some of it on Poker, although the Poker is more fun. I need to study the odds and strat.

8. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Something's in the air -- in the past week, 4 of my friends have emailed me inviting me to "beginner Texas Hold 'Em nights", and it seems like everyone's made a trip down to Atlantic City in the past month to play.

What's going on? Poker beginning to take over the world?

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    How about a game next sunday evening at poker room? I'll figure out how to set up a private room.

10. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Its Rounders, the WSOP being constantly shown on ESPN/ESPN2, and the WPT on the Travel Channel. It is awesome :) I want to learn how to play (well)

11. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Count me in, I love to play.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Consider me in - how many mofo's can be in a room?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There were rooms that had up to 10 last night. We'll need more than 10 though as you only get $1,000 play money and you can loose it all really quick. We'll need people watching and jumping in as players go "All In".

14. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I'm in.. Lets play for real $ :)

BTW- please refer me if when you sign up: "kennyherman". Thanks!

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    A friend of mine won $5k in one of their real money tournaments a few weeks ago. I think his buy in was $25.

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I play at Paradise Poker and Party Poker. I won 2 hold em tournaments last month with 358 people in each of them. Also came in 3rd out of 850 people, which still had a good pay out. The tourneys I play in cost 10-30 each. Good fun.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How long does the tournament take?

18. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    So is winning these pretty much based on how well you know the numbers since you can't really read people? I would also assume that you pick up people's betting tendencies and stuff as well... but mainly it is numbers?

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The ones with 350 or more people take 3.5 - 4 hours. I also play many one vs one tournys or 10 person tourneys. The 10 person tourneys take about 30-40 minutes.

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    These tournaments are basically this :

1) See flops cheap, don't call big bets without very strong hands. As the blinds go up (every 10 minutes) you can't play as many hands.

2) Wait for QQ, KK, AA and go all in. Some sucker will call you with A-6.

3) Need to try and read peoples hands by their betting. Did they just call pre-flop? How did they react to the flop? Do they have a strong hand and are slow playing you, or do they have a hand? Try betting for information.

4) As blinds go up, sometimes you need to steal the blinds. If you have a semi-good hand & are on the button, go all in to steal the blinds.

5) Get lucky! The game is not all skill! I know there was a pivotal hand in each tourny I won where I simply got lucky - Same goes for tourneys I got busted out in - Sometimes an opponnent just catches the miracle card on the river.

In the so-cal section, I was responding to a thread the other week and was playing a tourney at the same time - I got on a good roll and was first with only 80 people left out of 800+. I get busted out soon after that despite being the chip leader & came in 60th - It's a pretty funny read :

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5639

21. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I've been corrupted by fchat now... pretty cool site.

22. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Thanks for the tips. I have to ask - how long have you been playing? Also how much studying have you done and how well can you do odds/numbers in your head? I am just wondering how long it will take me to get going if I start to play. It really intrigues me.

23. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm in for Sunday, that'd be fun to get some practice in. Would like to learn how to play better.

My brother in law is 19, and has turned into a great Hold 'Em player. He regularly cleans up in the tournaments his friends hold, and when he was rushing his frat he would show up for their "rush" games and clean them out (usually a few hundred dollars a night). When he turns 21, watch out...

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those online tournaments for real money are probably ALOT different than play money games. People dont play the same way.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    TimN88, I wanted to play real money last night, but got frustrated with how hard it is and expensive (fees) to get money in your account. Anyone recomend the best method? Right now I'm going through the 3-4 day process to connect to my bank account.

I started watching some real money games and everyone was very conservative. Average $10 pots for $1-2 no limit Hold Em. When I was playing play money $10-20 our average pots were over $1,000.