Are 308 muffler halves separate? | FerrariChat

Are 308 muffler halves separate?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 4re gt4, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I've got an aftermarket ANSA muffler - I suppose the stock ones are similar. Is the exhaust from each engine bank kept separate? Or is the exhaust intermixed?

In other words, if a CO meter is inserted (ouch!) in the left side, does it measure exclusively what's happening in the rear bank? And vice-versa?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I asked that same question a while back and the response was 2 seperate mufflers (so to speak) inside the muffler can. This came from someone who cut a stock one open to peak inside.

3. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I suppose that's why my car sounds like a 4 cyl. Stebros sound more like a V8, so they must be one single muffler. However, they wouldn't give me the opportunity to sniff the banks separately.

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Hans, you can't use the individual analyzer ports to measure exhaust mixture?

5. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    The stock muffler intermixes the gases with more flow on one side than the other...Patrick

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The 328 muffler I have, I had cut off the entrance pipes, and I could see the gases entering left and right meat in the middle and escape through a hole there inside the muffler. Outlet is similar.
    Try this: Close the left or right outlets with a cloth or your foot and notice the engine is still running on 8, not 4, and the double amount of flow escapes from the other side that you didn't close.

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Doh! What an obvious answer. Plug up half and see what happens.

Peter: My sampling ports were welded up long ago.

8. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    After Flowbenching a Tubi that was off of Stewart Chungs sharp 308, i can attest to the fact that air pumped thru one side, in this case the rear bank side, It clearly came out both, althou as Irecall It favored tha passenger side.
    HTH
    Kermit