Ask the Audience.... | FerrariChat

Ask the Audience....

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Steve275, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you choose ?

1. Keep 288 GTO

2. Buy 275 GTB/4

3. Keep GTO buy 512 BB

4. Sell GTO buy F50

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 Steve275, Jan 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys, (Still in Dilema),

Although decided against an Enzo - Definately ! Pheww,
    I thought I'd done with this, and you probably thought I wish I had, If you don't respond I'll understand....But somethings just need more time and thought, aswell as a little help???
    I'm sure most of you regulars saw the old thread and question, but for those who didn't here goes,
    I have a 328 GTS, 288 GTO, AM DB4 GT, I love all of them equally and I am passionate about each one for different reasons, I have owned a number of great Ferrari vehicles and now I'm thinking of a new dream car, 275 GTB/4, This for me would be the pinnacle of a long hard slog to get to this car, the trouble is to realise this dream I have to sell a car!The 328 is not an option !!! - DB4 used to belong to my late Father so I don't want to let that go, and I'm just not sure about selling the GTO. Any thoughts, opinions, and advice would, BELIEVE ME, be gratefully recieved ?

ATB,

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Steve

Its your dream, buy the 275 GTB/4 . Live life an enjoy it. I'm sure you will be sad to see the GTO go but look at the enjoyment of living the dream.

Mark

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Steve,

GO FOR IT and realize you dream!!!!

Steve, you have owned and driven a real 288GTO; who else can say this? Close this "book" and open a new one, a new dimension of driving a Real Vintage Ferrari 275. The 288GTO will be forever in you memorys but look forward and realize your new dream.

Good Luck & please let us know

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    One of the guys in the Three Shires FOC bought one of these (or one of the 275 variants, I can't recall). It's a lovely looking car, and has that wonderful classic car smell. However, I got the impression that he liked it, but didn't love it. One phrase he used sticks in my head "you really know it's an old car". If it was me, I'd want to talk to a few owners before I took the plunge, and risk rolling out of an icon into a something that looks great but is otherwise ordinary.

Having said that, people who know me will be pissing themselves that I can even spell the word 'restraint'. As I say, not as I do etc.

Whatever you decide, it's going to be great. And remember Steve, the people here are not representative of the wider community. You'll get sympathy here... :)

Kevin

5. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Of course you know its an old car, thats why they are so good. The driving experience is more apparent and you are not just rewarded by speed. It is the noise, the feel, the smell and all this is had every minute you are in the car. The sensations are much more in your face.

I guess you either like or loath the experience and it is purely down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I wish I had to make that choice!

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve,

After confessing your list of previous tipos you have to acknowledge that you are the kind of guy who is desirous of a varied Tipo ownership. Every car in your list is a logical choice, and I think many Ferrari owners when they reached the 288 would feel that they had reached the logical endpoint of the ultimate driving experience. Sure the EVO article put the 288 second to the F50, but the 288 has racing blood flowing through it's roadgoing veins (as does the F40 (inelegant styling) and the Enzo (woaah there, Lesley!)), but what exactly is the F50?

a) Road car?
    b) Race car?
    c) Pebble Beach Poseur?
    d) Kevlar pig with big motor?

Perhaps a bit of a, b and c. But d definitely in my opinion!!

So, given that you have a predeliction for changing Tipo, the question is one for the heart, not the head, and it is not so much "should I buy the 275", but more "should I SELL the 288".

The advantage you have is that you are selling near the top end of the iconic classic market, and as such you have no great fear of plumetting values; whilst the contemporary market may wax and wane, the values are stable within the ball-park in which you play. And with car like the 288 I'd be surprised if there are any "dogs".

The 275 is a safe bet; it's value will never drop. Either you buy it, hate it, sell it, look for a 288 to replace it, or, buy it, love it, thinks sweet thoughts about the 288 but enjoy the 275 just as much. Either way, your experience of the marque is enrichened.

Or to put it in other terms, do you own a Ferrari to experience the limits of the driving experience? If so keep the 288. Alternatively do you own a Ferrari to make yourself feel good about your life, your achievements, your experiences? If so then you will surely enjoy the hedonistic pleasures of living with a vehicle that was created when engineers and technicians used slide rules to design the mechanicals of a car, and the body was left to an artist. Classic ownership is always a compromise, but if you ain't getting you feet wet, you ain't living!

I didn't really mean to bang on so much, but I guess I'm showing my colours as a classic car fan.

I avidly look forward to hearing developments.....

Stig

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    How to follow Stig's eloquent post?
    Can't really, so all i'll say is it seems you have to by the 275 , if only to get it out of your system.If you hate it [unlikely] , just buy back the 288 ! Simple.....
    Tony

8. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    Without question - the F50.
    For those of you who haven't ridden in one or sat in it - it is beautifully built (unlike the F40) and a totally SHOCKING site to behold in the metal.. better still it is probably one of the best sounding Ferraris they have ever ever built and bereft of the relentless gimmicks the Enzo apprears to have. Steve you've already got a GTO (and to me the GTO/F40 are interchangeable) - so it's left to the F50.

Now about looks - well I think it looks AMAZING - how a supercar ought to look... but then I think there is more to it that than.
    To me a supercar is not a "work of art" but rolling thunder that makes you're heart beat faster - to hell with subtle beauty - if you want that buy a 288GTO (oops you already have one - see my point??)....
    I'm sure none of you agree - but then I'm still in my twenties....

Steve - you already own the most beautiful Ferrari they've ever made - it's time for a something different.

In time, age WILL necessitate the you buy an previous era icon like the 275 - something you can enjoy whilst just pootling around.
    But now, while you can -go out and get the maddest, baddest meanest Ferrari with the wildest performance and looks you can. ~325 car worldwide mean you don't really have to worry about depreciation either.

Edited to say - get a BB too... I LOVE that car........ not for wimps.

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Manu,
    Steve's already owned and sold an F50 !!

10. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    Why did you sell it Steve?

11. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Steve,

Ditto Stig!

The 275 GTB/4 is your dream car. 'nuff said. You can always buy another 288 in the unlikely event you don't get on with the 275...

No comparison really, but what happened to the 355 plan?

Robert.

12. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    What a wonderful problem to have. I say go with your heart.

13. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Decisions, decisions! I like Wolfgang's advice. Cheers, MARK

14. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I can't believe the results on this poll, A 30, 30, 30 & 10 % Split !!!

You Guys........Thanks for all the great comments though, I'll let you know when I get back !

Cheers,

Steve

15. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Hi Steve,

I feel the need to add my tuppence (not that it really helps you make the decision), The 275 is no doubt a fantastic Classic car, as Manu rightly says you have the best Classic performing fcar already......where to go from here????

If youve had the F50, you will already know how good an Fcar it is, and I add with caution along side the Enzo these for me are the Ultimate Fcars as far as Performance and sheer racebread looks.

So its a choice of Ultimate Classic Car or Ultimate Performance race car....I think we are all waiting with baited breath to see what you will do...

Good Luck Steve with whatever your final decision..

Joe

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Tough call to choose between a 275GTB/4 and a 288GTO.

Personally I think although the 4 cam is a fantastic car they are slightly overvalued compared with Ferrari's of the same era (330/365GTC especially) and the earlier 2 cam's. Either 4 cams will fall or the others are going to have to rise in value someday.

The GTO will always be in demand due to its rarity.

17. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    There is only one option, and you know it!

:)

Ton

18. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    That's a very tough choice.

It's like being told by your Doctor:

We can save your leg but you'll have to lose an arm
    or
    we can save you arm but you'll need to lose that leg

"It's you choice son, I can come back later when you made up your mind."
    "Take your time to think about it". I'll come back in about a an hour".

THANKS ALOT.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
    You know your friends will be here to support you and you can always go to group therepy and couselling afterwards to cure that tic around the eye and the secret drinking bouts to deaden that certain guilt feeling.
    And those constant noises in the head whispering over and over and over again.
    sssshhhhhhh
    gto, gto, gto, gto, gto gto, gto gttotogogtoogttoototggotgttogtkillthemallgtogotgotgotgotmummymmummymmmummygtogtogot...............................................

19. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And those constant noises in the head whispering over and over and over again.
    sssshhhhhhh
    gto, gto, gto, gto, gto gto, gto gttotogogtoogttoototggotgttogtkillthemallgtogotgotgotgotmummymmummymmmummygtogtogot...............................................[/QUOTE]

Wazza, Funny Guy....LoL,

I don't want to keep you fella's hanging on forever, but I need to talk to a few people today, and I'll let you know my 'final' decision tomorrow. The poll has surprised me a little again - I thought most would have voted to keep the GTO, I didn't think that you 'modern men' liked the classics as much as Me & Stig or should that be Stig & I ?? Just out of curiosity, (don't get the wrong idea), I'm going to Zurich next week to view a nice Rosso 275/4, they've even said I can drive it....I'll let you know tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks for the help,

Steve

20. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve

Wahey!!! Up the "classics"!!

You could say "The King" and I......

Stig

21. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Would you make a good Anna then Stig ?

Steve

22. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve,

I voted selfishly for you to keep the 288 only because i secretly want you to keep it for a few years until i can afford to buy it from you.

I wish you had an option that said buy 275 and keep 288. I think the audience would have given you a unanimous reply ! Can't it be done ? You could buy now and finance the 275 with the current low interest rates. Keep them both for a while and then sell later in the summer months after you have made up your mind. If you're a little lucky it may be that the markets and also the summer bump up the prices a little so it may cost very little at all.

all the best

philip

23. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    By all means get a 275/4 but be clear as to your reasons why.

Fantastic shape and curves, lovely to look at and admire, great sound.

BUT completely outdated as a driving car. Terrible grip, useless brakes, doesn't match up to even a Micra. Powerful engine though, but see previous sentence. Let's face it, it's 40 years old and things have really marched on. When I had one in my 40s it reminded me of the Cortina I had in my teens.

To complete a collection it's certainly got its place.

As for the F50, well there's only two words: Wendy car.

288s and F40s are proper cars, hang on to them.

Badge.

24. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Steve dont get this one. More people have voted for you to keep the GTO, than keep the GTO and buy a 512bb! figure that one out...

25. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I am sorry I disagree entirely with this statement. Classic Sportscars are a fantastic driving experience and while things have marched on in 40 years much of that 'marching' has been to distance the driver from the real driving experience. I havent driven a 275, but my Dino is a fantastic car to drive it handles and feels far more exciting than the 2001 Maserati I sold to get it. It may not be as fast but that doesnt matter when you get the raw sensations of driving a real classic sportscar.