Ferraris in a Florida barn... | FerrariChat

Ferraris in a Florida barn...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meeyatch1, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    About 10 years ago probably, there was an article in either Car & Driver or Road & Track magazines about a guy named the 'Mysterious Mr. M' who lived in Florida and had a whole barn/warehouse of old Ferraris socked away. They would not say his name, or the exact location (just that is was in Florida), but they showed a few pictures of like 20 Ferraris sitting UNCOVERED in this dusty old barn just wasting away. We are talking he had a P4, a P3, several Ferrari race cars, and some Ferrari street cars, and they were just sitting. It was sad, yet strangely intriguing. They wrote a whole article about the cars and the strange owner. Does anyone know which magazine issue this was? I would love to find it, but do not know where to look. I know that soon after the article somehow the IRS found out about it and seized the P4, P3, and a couple others and were auctioning them off. It was a big deal at the time. If you know this issue, please let me know.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My God the IRS actually did something useful ... :)

Pete

3. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

I hope someone knows the article...it sounds like an urban legend until you see the pictures and read the article...it is unreal.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've always been curious to find out the story of these cars.

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
  6. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    HOLEY MOLEY! COOL!

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    :::GASP!:::

WOOOW...!

8. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    WOAH!! Where the heck did those pictures come from??

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    for some reason those pics look creepy to me

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    It is the whole idea of something so valuable in such a delapidated state....it is so unusual that someone would just leave them there...plus they kind of look like they are staring at you.

11. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    No...not creepy. That is the ultimate artisitic statement. Take THAT Pebble Beach!

12. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    What's that say in the second picture... "I LOAN NOTHING" ??? weird..

-R

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I saw these pics quite a while ago.It's a tragedy really.I don't have one yet there are a bunch rotting in barns never to see the street again.Sad.

15. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    ...all the cars are raised up...like anticipating flood waters or something. Where is this picture from??

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    these set of pics are a couple of years old, even though they just appeared as a "recent find" in one of the popular classic car mags. this "find" is referred to as aladin's cave in many articles. they belong to a man from new jersey i believe who isn't selling them as he plans to restore them when he retires. at least that was the story about a year or so ago. these cars, however did make it onto ebay. i do not know if they were sold. wayne previous outlined the history of these cars in a previous thread. as for the florida find, i don't recall having heard of that before. unless the cars are the ones that harley cluxton finally convinced an owner to sell, the lot included the p4 s/n 0844, which was still in can-am racing spec.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Aaron, all I know is that one of these cars was sold on Ebay by a "Mr. Badger." who is now in New Zealand. You can still find him on Ebay if you search for mrbadger under the seller name. Nice guy. I talked to him once about buying an older british car.

Let us know what you find out.

DrTax

18. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    heres the Info on "MrBadger" i got form EBay WHY MR.BADGER?
    Guess what, It has nothing to do with badges. *************************************** It has nothing to with any sports team. ************************************** There is an English children’s story called “The Wind in the Willows” by Kenneth Graham in which all of the characters are small animals. **************************************** Years ago, I spent some time in England. Myself and the bunch of yobs that I hung out with decided that we needed “code names” and so, we each took on the name of one of the animals in the story, which ever one seemed to match our persona the best. As I was not quite as whacked out as most of my friends, I won the title of wise old “badger”. The name has always stuck with me. When I registered for eBay, that name was already taken so I simply added the “mr”. Now you know! *** mrbadger*** My real name is Derek Durst, What does THAT matter?

also did a internet search and found this dont know if its him or not (maybe just someone with the same name http://www.theautomobile.ndirect.co.uk/p00_04_69_1.htm

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    WOAH!! So you got the guy to sell the old Ferraris??

20. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I would think that IRS agents are car nuts too ;)

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    True story. First name is Walter. Will leave it at that.

22. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    #22 Meeyatch1, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    THAT IS IT!! I remember his last name now too!! Do you remember which magazine it was in?? I would love to read it again.

23. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    i have seen what you guys are talking about. i had a friend that i went to school with and he said his dad had a couple of ferraris, so i said prove it. well we drive way out to st cloud florida and into an orange grove. middle of friggin nowhere. 2 daytona coupes one dayton hard top convertible, a couple 330's, 512 bbi boxer, a racing boxer, and some others all in cargo containers. i am looking for the article on him and when they seized some of them. my friend said that his dad had ferraris all over the world, i pressume hiding. it seemed really shady. i am gonna try and sneek back and take photos. it has been years since i have seen him or the cars.

walter medlin anyone heard the name?
    Orlando Sentinel
    [Walter Medlin]'s P-3, one of nine in the world, and the P-4, one of three in existence, are valued at $3 million to $10 million each, according to conservative estimates by Ferrari experts. The 308 GTB has a rare fiberglass body and is worth between $75,000 and $100,000.

okay i have convinced myself to go back out there. grandma lives near by. wish me luck guys

24. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    That seems like a pretty high estimate.What were these guys smoking?

25. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    this was going down in the early 90's. was that during the f car bubble?