Computer Virus Problem... | FerrariChat

Computer Virus Problem...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 134282, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Anyone else have this problem...? i didn't want to hijack Rowan's thread, but it jerked me to post about my problem here... Our office techie hasn't been much help on this one...

Apparently, some two or three weeks ago, my computer contracted a virus... Which, in turn, APPARENTLY turned off my virus software, Norton Antivirus 2004... Now, merely clicking on a folder to open it or trying to open Internet Explorer results in some window that pops up that says there was an error; i have to options, send a report or don't send... It will usually come up at least twice (now, of course, i don't open any folders and don't use IE) but sometimes it comes up more... Our techie tried playing around with stuff but to no avail... He even had me reinstall windows so i could then reinstall the virus software, but that was equally as futile... WTF happened...? Anyone else familiar with this...? Just wondering if i'm the only one... If not, what did you do to finally correct/fix or otherwise repair the problem... It hasn't hindered work since i can still get into folders and access their contents, i just can't click on the folder, directly; and not using IE, well... well, damn, that's been a bit of a gift... :)

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Any number of viruses turn off anti-virus software.

I'm wondering if your Boot Sector is infected, since a Windows re-install didn't help. Boot sector virues are also somewhat common. What do other folks think k about doing a FDISK /MBR to reset the Master Boot Record?

No guarantees, but here's a suggestion

1. Do a cold boot from an UNINFECTED floppy disk that is Write-protected.

2. See if you can run Norton from the hard drive and scan for viruses.

2a. Alternate. Dou you have the Norton Emergency diskettes that came with the product? Run these and see if it finds and detects anything.

3. If you find one, go to a clean machine and get manual cleaning instructions from Norton or MCAfee site.

You really need to fix this; especially if you are on a network, as the potential is real that someone is now able to access your PC remotely.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Share the hard drive out over the network to perform a network scan on it, scan it from a boot floppy/boot CD.

Symantec anti-virus products are sometimes bootable, you can try to boot off of a later copy and see if you can perform a low level scan.

Once you identify what is on the computer, boot up normally, go to Symantec's anti-virus database, search on the name, and download a fix utility if it exists.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html/

The utility might run in Windows or in DOS.

Good luck!
    Sunny

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, ok some of this computer jargon is beyond me... Boot sector...? How do i boot from an uninfected floppy that's write-protected...? How do i know if the floppy is uninfected...? How will the machine boot from something that's write-protected...?

Norton scans for viruses... i think we even got the name of this one (don't remember now)... It's just not doing anything about whatever screwed my Explorer...

Our techie is far more knowledgeable in these things than i am... If he couldn't figure it out, i certainly can't... To be quite honest, it's been a real stumper for all of us...

Yeah, we're on a network, but it's peer to peer (i'm thinking that might make a difference but i'm not sure)...

Our techie suggests that i call Windows or Microsoft or whoever and talk them and try to get some advice from them directly... i'm just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this before...

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    What version of Windows are you runnning? I have a good idea on fixing it (since I had the same thing happen to me). Believe it or not, once Norton is attacked and shut down, you can not sccessfully reload Windows until you remove a file from Windows Media Player 9, then reinstall Windows.

Let me know your Windows version, then I will point you to a link with some help.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm getting the excat same thing!! When ever i click on a link on this sight I get an error message and then it kicks me out of IE. What is this thing?

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have windows XP 2001. So the media player is causing this?

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    That was the problem with mine (Windows Me) and MAY be with yours. Seems a file in Media Player 9 prevents you from relaoding Windows because it conflicts with Norton Software.

I have posted problems before to the following newsgroups and have had 100% success. Even after hours on the phone with Dell and Microsoft. Some people know all the ins and outs of the software. Requires some searching or posting a new topic, but the results are great.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/default.asp

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    DES, drop me your # and I'll try to help you out this weekend.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sorry, folks, i have no internet access over the weekend, so i didn't see any of these replies until now...

We just recently installed Windows XP Pro about two or so months ago...

11. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had ciadoor which I had a hell of a time getting ride of.I used this forum if it wasn't for it I would never had got rid of it.I had to shutdown the process running before i could run the virus programs again.

http://forums.net-integration.net/

12. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Carbon,

Shoot me an e-mail and we will work this out.

Pat

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Sent... Thanks, buddy...

14. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Did you get my e-mails back?

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Just got them; sent one back to you from a different address... Thanks...

16. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    IMHO Try this:
    There is a nasty virus that puts unwise.exe on your computer. DO a search for it and delete it. One of our machines found 9 copies. it caused a redirect on the search when you open explorer.
    Hope this helps
    George P.

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Be carefull, files named unwise are used by various programs for uninstalling. I count 8 files named unwise.exe on my computer and it looks like all of them are legitimate. There have been several virus hoaxes that have made the rounds telling people to delete files that your computer needs. Unless you are sure what is a virus it's not a good idea to start deleting things.