Exotic Car wholesale | FerrariChat

Exotic Car wholesale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tifosi, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    One of the salesman - Vince of ECW in florida has joined the site and claims that a few (two or three) customers are responsible for the huge amount of bad press speading accross the internet about them over the years. He claims to have thousands of satisfied customers over the 8 or 9 years they have been around. In an effort get to the truth and help future ferrari buyers, I ask you to post first hand knowledge of both good and bad experiences with Exotic Car wholesale ( i know the archives are full of them) . Please do not post I heard from a friend of a friend that they did this and that - first hand knowledge please.

Thanks.

I will go first- when looking for my car I spoke to some folks there and found them pushy and uninformed about details on cars they were listing. Decided to look elsewhere - no harm no foul

2. mvespo348

mvespo348 Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    North New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Back in 1998 when I was looking for a 348 Spider I spoke to someone from ECW. He was trying to sell me a car they did not even have or own yet and wanted a deposit to boot. Well, the inexperienced salesman happen to tell me what state the car was coming from. Since not many F cars are around it is not that hard to track them down. I made several calls myself and found they owner and we made a deal. FWIW I wouldn't do business because it didn't feel right.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    tifosi - i'm not defending them 'cuz i don't know squat about them (other than that they are suspect in my book simply by the fact that they are located in FL - an unfortunate generalization).

however, your post is unlikely to have the desired goal. pleased customers rarely rush to post glowing reviews of the people they deal with. "pleased" is the expected default behavior, so there's nothing special to talk about. the people you're likely to hear from are (i) gleefully ecstatic folks who were bowled over with glorious wonderfulness and (ii) the folks who were pissed off.

if you're starting this thread with all honest intentions, i think you're unlikely to get a good response. if you're starting this thread to stir the pot, i think that pot has been stirred here already :)

my two drachmas, worth well less than you paid for them.

doody.

4. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    About 6 months ago they tried to sell me a car that they didn't even own. They would call me with "a great deal". I would ask for info on the car and they wouldn't have any. I would ask for pictures, they would send me the pictures of a car they didn't own. I figured out what they were doing buy looking at the properties of the pictures. The pictures came from a classified add. I went to the classified add and found the car these guys were trying to sell me. They didn't even own the car.

The worst part of these scum bags is that they wanted a deposit of $5,000. That's $5,000 I would never see again.

Don't trust these guys, they are running a scam. The laws in Florida alow them to get away with this.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Same here. When I was looking 3 years ago. I saw their ad in DuPont and called about a specific car. They told me that it had been Sold already,but could find me another one,and to send a deposit to "Ensure to hold it so that this one wouldn't be Sold". Instead,I found a car close by,and bought it. So,I can't say that it was a 'Bad' experience,per se. But,judging by the other posts,seems to be the "Modus Operandi".

6. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    Doody

In all serious I was hoping to give people who did not have a negative experience an opportunity to come forward. I agree that customers normally do not speak up when things go as expected but to me I have heard so many bad things about ECW that when one of the salesmen seriously claims the negative press is due to a handful of customers out of thousands - I am intrigued by the power of the internet to spread only negative comments and not good ones. In the end if they have so many satisified customers then more of us should consider them when buying an exotic.

Tom

7. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    as maybe we are beginning to see, lots of folks may not agree with their perfectly legal practice of requiring a deposit upfront as well as their practice of repping cars that they don't own but I don't view that as a negative experience unless deposits are not returned and or cars turn out to be misrepresented

8. 550

550 Rookie

Sep 19, 2003
    I bought a 550 Maranello from ECW (1490 E. Federal hwy. Pompano beach). in august 03. It was in Dupont registry. I live in NY and did not go to see the car in person. However, I had a car guy friend who lives in Pompono check it out. They did have the car on their showroom floor and everything went smooth. The car was in diamond cond. Would I do it again? NO WAY.

9. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'm not sure why some people feel that trying to sell someone elses car is such a bad thing. Anyone who knows anything about real estate sales knows that this happens frequently. A salesperson knows of a FSBO (For Sale by Owner) and either works with the owner beforehand or after an offer is written. And we all know that real estate offers require some cash down. I would expect the car sales people want buyers to show that they're serious enough to put money down and complete the deal if the terms are met - which is what the offer contract is all about. The sales person will be doing work that they expect to be paid for if the deal completes. Don't be fooled into thinking that a contract/deposit is just a formality and must be signed to keep the process moving -- It is a legal and binding agreement.

Those who sign offer contracts need to be aware that the terms they want need to be in the offer. If you haven't inspected the car prior to the offer you need to describe what you are looking for exactly. If you will be doing a leakdown test, you need to write down the limits that are acceptable. You can always change them in consideration of other things later if you want. If you don't do this it will be opinion as to what is good or not. Otherwise, the car may be considered to meet the contract by the salesperson and you will be considered in default of the contract and your deposit will be kept. (Some states have laws where you can change your mind without a reson for 24 hours or so).

It's only fair to both sides to be sure things like this are written down so that everyone knows the rules and targets. Either party can reject the contract but then both sides should know the repercussions of their decision.

10. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    When I had my Diablo for sale they called and said they had a buyer. They faxed me a signed contract to purchase the car. They indicated they would send a check, check never came. Same story for days, "we are sending a check today". In the mean time, I let my ads expire and turned away other callers. The bottom line is that they never came up with the money, and I sold to car to another party.

I assume they try to lock up a car and then work the phones to sell it. I don't have a problem with them trying the sell a car they don't own; I have a problem with their dishonest business practices. I'll never do business with them again. There are enough honest car guys out there; you don't need to do business with people who will lie to you imo...

11. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have visited the showroom, and if this sales person on chat would like to clean up their reputation I have some sugestions for him:

If the car is consignment represent it as such.

Build a side walk to the showroom, and add some landscaping.

have the sales people dress nice, and make sure they are well groomed.

do not advertise cars and say you have them on the showroom floor when they are not.

I have not bought a car from this company, but am a owner. I will tell you what my Father said after beeing in their showroom, who is looking for a 575. " Man I would never buy a car from that place "

Most of that comment has to do with the feel of the showroom and the condition of the building and surroundings.

12. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Out of curiosity, why did you say you would not do it again?

13. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    MY EXPERIENCE (1 TIME) WITH THEM, ALMOST PUT ME ON A PLANE SOUTH, AND WOULD ALLOW ME TO HAVE A JAIL SENTENCE...

BEFORE I BOUGHT MY TR FROM SOMEONE ELSE,TR.THERE WAS A 87 TR FOR SALE AT ECW .NO NAMES MENTIONED HERE WITH THE SALESMAN, ALTHOUGH VERY PUSHY AND SEEMED IGNORANT....

HE TOLD ME THAT A TR WOULD NE COMING IN 3 DAYS, BUT NEEDED A WIRE TRANSFER DEPOSIT TO HOLD THE CAR....I DECLINED, BUT WAS ABLE AFTER 5 EXHAYSTING PHONE CALLS TO GET THE VIN # IN QUESTION.......

FINALLY RAN THE VIN # THRU MY SOURCES, CONTACTED THE OWNER, AND BASICALLY HE TOLD ME " HE WAS KIND OF INTERETSED IN SELLING THE CAR, BUT HE MADE NO DECISION YET" .I SAID THANK YOU, MR XXXXX, CALLED BACK ECW, LEFT A PM WITH THE JERKY SALESMAN, AND TOLD HIM WHAT I THOUGHT OF HIM AND HIS JERKY COMPANY..NEVER HEARD BACK FROM THEM........

I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER BUY A CAR FROM THOSE ASSWIPES.........

.............EXCEPT FROM MR MARTIN.............SCREW EM.......

BRUCE

14. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I almost bought a car from them, but got a better deal elsewhere. I just noticed they really wanted that non-refundable deposit. After reading this thread I'm glad it went the way it did.

15. 550

550 Rookie

Sep 19, 2003
    I never bought a used car and didn't know the risks at the time. After reading all the negative posts it's not worth the chance.

16. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Bruce:

I do not know the dealership in question but I don't understand why you went and contacted the owner directly once you got the vin#? Were you trying to save some money? Is it the fault of the dealership if the owner of the car that was on consignment changed his mind?

Now, I do not like leaving deposits with dealers unless I know them well but it does not seem out of sorts if the dealer asked for a deposit to see if you are a serious buyer. I know there were posts where the dealer asked for a deposit from a client before they test drive a car.

17. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

Every buyer has to be assumed SERIOUS if he takes the time out of his day to come and see the dealer to talk, look and testdrive a certain car.

You never know who is "ready" and who is not, neither do you want to leave the impression you do not give someone the time of day so he will remember you when he is "ready".

A 10 year old that walks by your window every day and comes in to look at your car is a potential customer. Besides that you "make his day" by letting him sit, he will buy only from you when his time comes, and it will!

Time for testdrives, talks etc. is an investment into immediate or future business.

18. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    but then I may be old school :)

Disclaimer:
    This has NOTHING to do with the dealership in question, just rambling on about general behaviour of most dealers!

19. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Tell that to the dealer who had their F 50 taken during a test drive...I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the "old school"?? ;)

20. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Oh now that's not fair. They let the guy test drive the car with NO ID or DRIVER'S LICENSE. That's just plain silly. I had to give my driver's license when I went to test drive a VW Jetta, and that car is 1/40 the price.

21. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Noahlh

From what I recall the dealer did get drivers info but it turned out to be fake! :(

I am not trying to say anything more that there are a lot of people who are not serious about purchasing a Ferrari but they will try to get a test drive in the car which is a waste of time and money for a dealer. In speaking to my F dealer he has told me that the "joy ride" test drives has amost come to a complete stop when the dealer has asked for a $5000 fully refundable deposit from un known clients before a drive. But, he does not have any issues with fans of the marque to come in and take photos and ask as many questions as they like (time permitted). :)

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I'm sure "joy rides" decreased, but I'm also sure real business decreased as well.

Many times I have been a "serious buyer" for a various car, some of them pretty expensive. If I am looking at 5 or 10 potential cars - maybe more (I have no problem traveling to buy a car - even across the US), and if a few of these buyers want a few grand before they will even talk about the car, then they can shove it!

There are plenty of other things that show I'm serious. You can talk to a buyer a little bit and find out, in general, if they are serious. If they know the car and the market and ask questions that further their goals - like "do you have the records, why is the car for sale", etc, rather than "wow, so is it fast?", etc, then you can usually tell they are serious. Also, on a test drive, I have no interest in cruising the strip and being reminded by the salesman how hot the car is and how many people are looking at us. I want to have the radio off, I want to test the clutch, brakes, steering, suspension, controls, and I want to make sure the car "feels" right. There are enough of any car out there - even rare exotics - that nobody has to put up with "sorry you can drive it after you've bought it" or "gimme $5k which I may or may not refund"

F-that!

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Several dealings with them, inlcuding with Vince. First was several years ago, and directly dealt with Vince. They had a car, 2000 360, that my uncle wanted. We actually went as far as to send a buddy of mine out to look at the car, car checked out, and we were ready to buy, at a set price of 145,000 by the way. In the end, they could not secure the car, because the customer on the other end felt insecure as to how they wanted to pay the car off.

2nd time, a buddy of mine wanted a red/tan 25th Anniversary Countach. They found a car, which they substantially marked up. We found out who really had the car, bypassed them, and the car turned out to be bomb.

I would never, ever deal with them.

24. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    not that we have a statistical sample but let me summarize some of what I am hearing.

While not certainly not illegal a lot of folks don't care for their business model - ie a high volume broker working as a go between for cars they may not know much about. I would contrast this with some of the specialty brokers that many collectors use

second - you combine the above with what seems to be high sales pressure and pressure to get a deposit and people seemed to be turned off

25. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Let me give you some answers to some of the things out there:

Testdrives:

Obviously you try to avoid the guy that just wants to go home and say I drove one. Then you never know who that is. There is just NO indicator as to who has and who does not have money. See the "testdrive" at ALGAR.
    You will get a feel for the buyer as well. Does he ask the right questions etc.

Brokers:

We all know some brokers. In fact there are some highly respected brokers out there. Some deal exclusively in the Million Dollar collector cars. Those are NEVER bought by a dealer and put on the floor but 99.9% always brokered.
    There is nothing wrong with brokering cars. I do it, see my consignment section.