308/328 | FerrariChat

308/328

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rod, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi guys....girls?

I have wanted to purchase a ferrari for some time now, but like most have not had the "ball's" to do it!!! Untill now that is, I just can't go another summer and a F1 season not owning a Ferrari...
    My dilama is this, I do not have a huge budget as I also own several VW Beetle's (Cabrio's) and a few Audi Ur quattro's. I have the chance of a 2 owner 1982 308gts LHD (last owner 18 years)! red/tan with full history 50k miles good/excellent condition for approx 15k. Supposing that this car is A1 condition would this car cost a lot to maintain? Would I be able to drive it to Europe? I have heard that they are quite robust & reliable is this true?
    My other option is to hold off and buy a LHD 328gts.. but this may be another year or so as I guess I would be needing another 5-8K.. but the cost of maintaining? and is it that much of a difference? (apart from the 55hp)
    If any of you guys can help or if you know of any good value LHD 328's for sale? it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

2. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #2 360CS, Jan 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rod,

Go for it , you will never look back. Get the 308 keep it a year and then sell it and purchase the 328gts when youve saved a few quid.

Im a 360 owner and know nothing of the 308 "Stig" is the best guy or Chris they both have nice 308 cars and can answer your questions fully on ownership and maintenace, I have read that the 308 is really a reliable car and reasonably cheap to own/run.

Good luck and Welcome top fchat, you can get all the answers you need on this site, and everyone is extreamly friendly and helpful.

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Go for it sir..you won't regret it. I have had my 328 for 4 months and so far he (mine's a bloke) starts on the nail even when not driven for a couple of weeks, and has not cost me anything to keep running..that starts in March with the MOT/annual.

I was advised that £1,200-£1,500 pa should be plenty to keep the car serviced and properly maintained by a Ferrari approved dealer..I plan on using Kent High Performance.

Insurance you can get for £500ish on a restricted classic policy - I pay slightly more for a standard policy with Privelege (about £700 with full ncb) which is far more flexible on mileage, additional drivers, etc.

Consumption is not too bad - 20 mpg on a good day. Basically everything I thought that would make the whole idea completely impractical, so far hasn't! and the best bit - you get to own/drive a FERRARI! No better feeling than driving along with the top off.

You will love it.

4. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks for your reply... its one are the other, I was just a little concerned that the 328 may go up in value! I guess a good 308 for 15k should sell Quite easily. would you agree?

5. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Rod firstly welcome to the site. I know the dilema you face because I too am facing much the same thing. Im looking to buy fairly soon too, so have been looking round for as much info before I buy. Here is a stab at some of your points.

Firstly seems like the 308 is a good buy (on the face of it). Low ownership, and current owner for 18 yrs. You dont find many cars like that. Plus 50K mileage is fair, not excessive and not too low. Low milers can be problematic due to lack of use, so seems about OK.

Price wise it seems good too. Plus its in the right colour combo for the model. 4seaters like im looking into look better in darker colours. 308s look best in red. They dont call it re-sale red for nothing you know!

Even though you know the car, I would still get a PPI done. It will cost you a few hundreds of pounds but will show up any problems that might be hidden. Cost wise i've been advised about £1000 pa for the mondial which is mechanically the same as the 308. For a better idea check www.Verdiferrari.net/servicing.htm for their fixed price deals.

Will you be able to drive to Europe? Yes if the car is sound. It will be just as reliable as any car if you have it checked.

328 is a better car overall - Better mechanically, looks, and spec (abs etc). But look at your budget because 5K might buy you a 328, but it might be a 328 that needs 3K spent on it.

Other than that there is loads of info in previous threads on this site, and on other sites. Here is a link to the old FerrariChat site which has loads of thread on this topic. Go to the search to look up the info.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Adnaan

6. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi Rod,

Welcome to Fchat!
    I understand the dilemma. I have been there before.

The most important is to buy the Ferrari that you really want. And I agree with Adnaan on the PPI. When you are buying a Ferrari it is better to be safe because a bad car can cost you a small fortune (especially when you are on a low budget).
    If you have a good Ferrari you can drive it everywhere. I drove mine from Belgium to Italy and back without any problems.

Just take your time to find the right car. Testdrive them. Feel the difference between a 308 and a 328.

Good luck.

Ton

7. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao and welcome on this forum.
    This to add my little bit of experience.
    After a pattern similat to your (do I buy it? will it be too expensive? etc. etc.) I finally bought my 328 GTS in Dec. last year. Just a little more than one month but certainly I do not regret it.
    As far as my experience tells me (I have seen several cars before buying mine), hereafter a couple of considerations:
    - I do by far prefer the 308 as far as the look is concerned, but 328 is beyond any doubt a better car ovreall. Ton Visser is fully right: test drive both models before making your choice.
    - A couple of sites could be interesting for more info http://www.fugazi.co.uk/308/MainPage.htm is where everything is explaned on 308 and http://www.ferraribuy.com is perhaps the best place where comparing prices in europe.
    - I do not agree with Adnaan, I prefer cars with lower mileage. My car is a 1986 and just has 13000 miles on the clock. In this first month the only problem I have had is relevant with the oil coolant reservoir filler cap spring being too old (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4308). No other problem whatsoever. IMHO 50000 miles are not negligeable story, even if I agree that if properly run there is not a lot of chances that thay have worn out the engine

By the way enjoy yourself and have fun.

Ciao

Eugenio

8. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Can't tell you anything about 308/328 I'm afraid. But I can recount one story from a 308 owner. His car had done 7000 miles or something ridiculous. After he'd had it a couple of months he had a problem and needed to get the engine sorted. That's not the point of the story, this is: his piston rings were thinner than a cigarette paper. Moral: the mileage may not be genuine :)

Welcome, and enjoy your search. It's all part of the fun (and not unlike gambling)!

Kevin

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Just to clarify that im not anti low milage. Get yourself a low miler in good condition and its better than a high miler. However some owners on FChat have said that when they have bought cars that spend too much time standing, re-commissioning the car brings out many bugs and problems (eg worn oil seals, electrical gremlins etc). However you will avoid all these if the low miler has been looked after and not neglected.

Do a PPI and you will pick out any problems in both low and high milers.

10. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Hi Rod,

I got a 308GTB in March, which is a 2v FI car. I agree with the concensus that it's got to be serviced every year. I'm having mine done as we speak at a main dealer - most do fixed price servicing now so it's not too scary.

As for mileage, my engine and gearbox (in fact the whole car) was fully rebuilt at 76k, and runs as sweet as a nut. I actually won the car on a TV programme so I'm very lucky to say I didn't have the cost dilemma!!

I've heard that the difference in power is really not noticable, so personally I wouldn't worry about it!

BW

Mark

11. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Mark,

Was that you on the channel 5 documentary where they restored it to utter perfection?

Stig

12. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Mark

You lucky git! If you hadnt called im sure that car would have been mine! Just like im gonna win the lottery this weekend!!

13. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Hi,

yes that was the car !!! You'll all be pleased to hear I've had a major starting problem with it (being fixed at the moment). Apart from that it's great.

They also put us on Bruntingthorpe race track for a blast - got it flat out on the 2mile straight.

All faith in competitions was restored instantly !!!

Mark

14. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Cheers Mark...

Are you going to tell me that your the lucky guy that won the car on rebuild a classic car programme? I made 10 calls!!!!! I want the car more for the shape and the ownership... its a classic sports car!!! Not too fussed about 0-60 in 4 sec's!!!! But it has to be solid & reliable!

15. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Hi Rod,

Yes, it was from the programme Dream Machine. Apparantly the odds of winning were about 80,000 to 1 !!.

The bodywork is absolutely stunning, as is the engine and interior. Just a shame I've had such a problem with it hot starting. Tried loads of things, replaced starter motor, warm up regulator, HT leads, Rotor arm, dizzy cap etc etc etc. Ferrari now think it's the fuel accumulator.

Still shouldn't (and won't) moan!!. These things happen. I feel happier knowing I've contributed to getting it correct on the road!!

I love the GTB design, well actually I love both of them, I wouldn't argue!! There's a garage near me in northampton that's got a fully restored 308GTS carb with about 20k on it for £30K. I know he's had it for well over a year as I was interested at one point - well worth a look!

Best regards,

Mark