dealer markup | FerrariChat

dealer markup

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by orthopod, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. orthopod

orthopod Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    I am considering putting a deposit for the upcoming 360 successor. I assume it'll be here in 06. My question is: Are dealers allowed to charge huge markups or are they required to sell at MSRP? And if I don't like the car can I easily change my mind?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I'm pretty sure you can take your name off the list and get your deposit back if you don't like it. There will be enough people on the list anyway - they won't care.

3. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'd be very careful about putitng a deposit on any car unless it is refundable AND, you have that in writing. Case in point. I bought my wife an '03 E320 Mercedes from Lancaster Mercedes in PA. I drove an SL55 and was reasonably impressed. I put a "refundable" deposit on one and got on the waiting list. Subsequently, I bought a 360 Modena and asked for my deposit back before my number came up. That was Christmas. I'd have to sue to get it back. Now, this was a new car dealer. Do they care if I buy the next new Mercedes elsewhere-no.

Just be very careful. Even a "reputable" dealer can screw you. By the way all you guys in PA. The salesman at Lancaster is Joe DeCarolis and the sales manager is Tony. Caveat emptor.

Ken.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I can only tell you about the policy where I have my deposit. The deposit guarantees me that I will buy the car for MSRP and that my place in the list is guaranteed. No moving up or back. The deposit is non-refundable but my understanding is that I can move it to another model if I want.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I have also seen people "prosper" from selling their reservation spots. Watch ebay , especially when a hot new model becomes avl. I saw an auction reach $10,000 just for the opportunity to purchase the first 350Z Roadster at a particular dealer for MSRP. Whatever.