Gephardt must think he's Castro... | FerrariChat

Gephardt must think he's Castro...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by maranelloman, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

This is either one of the scariest, most totalitarian thoughs I have ever seen in a Presidential campaign, or an astounding lack of Constitutional knowledge by a veteran Congressman.

This was said to Wolf Blitzer on CNN, by the way: I saw & heard it, and literally could not believe my ears.

And the media's "look the other way" pass because he is a Dem and not a Rep is true hypocrisy:

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/6/24/110311

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Nope, not really. He was questioned on this on Meet the Press yesterday.

Maybe you should turn to something other than FOX?

FWIW, he couldn't really explain himslef. Sounds like a FUBAR to me.

Luke.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Don King was right about politics... :D

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    It is amazing what the media will print and not print. They can be very powerful in their slant on the news.

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

He's not going to be the nominee anyway. The press did report this as stated above. Start watching something other than Fox, and other looney right wing crap. Or if you insist, at least watch something to counter balance this. News Max is about as radical right as I've seen, makes Fox look almost liberal.

Cheers,

Art

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Art, you & Lucas need to do a better job of reading my post before you start your immediate knee jerk reaction.

Since you are incapable of reading, allow me to reprint for you looney left wing crap artists:

"This was said to Wolf Blitzer on CNN, by the way: I saw & heard it, and literally could not believe my ears."

Duh.

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

No one denied he said it. The post was addressed to the comment about the media, not what he said.

Art

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Huh? It sure seemed to me like you were making two points, Dave:

1) that the liberal medial was ignoring this story. -- which I, and you yourself to a degree, debunked as it aid on CNN and NBC.

2) that you were surprised to hear him say such a thing. --which I agreed with by relaying his unwillingness to clarify his staement on Meet the Press.

Where's the knee jerk?

Luke.

9. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I think Dave was just alittle shocked that a major democratic candidate (and possible president) stating he would bypass a Supreme Court decision he disagreed with didn't get HUGE coverage. I mean really... if Bush had said this there would be an uproar (and rightly so).

Brad

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Well.........

To support MM here.......

The "radical right" (see what we are called when we nail there sorry asses to the wall) wing are the only ones up to speed on Wesley Clark's trial of lies about Iraq among other things, as an example and he is running for the same office.

The "mainstream media" hasn't even mentioned a thing that I can recollect.

Dave is right IMHO.

11. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Sorry for my delayed response. Yes, this is EXACTLY what I meant. Thanks, Brad & KDS. The liberal media (and Fox, too, for that matter) is burying this totally. If Bush had said this in 2000, he would have been torn a new one for months. Sure seems like a double standard in the press when there is a (D) after your name....and this case is a perfect example.

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

Bush's comments? come on! There is an entire book about his mistatements! All of these guys make mistatements, and the press does report it. The radical right, as kds calls himself has a hard time with the real news, so they make up their own. Read Franken's book. Specific points of reference, specific instances, not made up. I read all the stuff, its the only way to get a good perspective and a balanced look at what's going on. Fox doesn't report half of the stuff that is occurring in the middle east, but over reports liberal issues they can make fun of. Various Arab news ignore the conservative point of view, but do report all the stuff that indicates Bush made a mistake. Read it all, get a "fair and balanced" look at the world. Read only that that reinforces your own preconceived notions, and you'll speak a dialogue only with those who you agree with. There are both sides, too bad some of the folks on the right can't see it that way.

By the way Dave: It been almost a year: no WMDs, and plenty of proof that they cooked the books? Comments?

Art

Art

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Gephardt's comments? come on! There is an entire book about all of the left's hypocrisy! All of these guys make mistatements, and the press does report it, but usually on page 83. The radical left has a hard time with the real news, so they make up their own. Read Franken's book and laugh your butt off at its absurdity. Read O'Reailly's books if you want another perspective. Specific points of reference, specific instances, not made up. I read all the stuff, its the only way to get a good perspective and a balanced look at what's going on. CNN doesn't report half of the good stuff that is occurring in the middle east, but over reports conservative issues they can make fun of. Various Arab news ignore ANY point of view that is favorable to the US or Israel, but do report all the stuff that indicates Bush made a mistake. Read it all, get a "fair and balanced" look at the world. Read only that that reinforces your own preconceived notions (like Franken, Art? BWHAHAHA!!), and you'll speak a dialogue only with those who you agree with. There are both sides, too bad some of the folks on the left can't practice the "tolerance" of opposing views that they self-righteously preach about.

By the way Art: When it has been a year, as I said (May) and if there are no WMDs, then I will say that they cooked the books. Why are you jumping the gun by 4 months? Comments?

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Doesn't matter anyway.. CNN's reporting that he's pulling out. Sucker. Of course I went back to their website 2 minutes later and the "breaking news" bar that says he's pulling out isn't there anymore.

By the way it's kind of funny that you say the "liberal" media looks the other way when in fact you saw the story on CNN, and someone pipes up and says they saw it on NBC... you really should be reading something other than that extremist filth. That article you posted obviously has an agenda, and the author has a chip on his shoulder the size of Iowa..

-R

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Robin, you're like the rest: don't know how to read or don't want to when you disagree with the point of view. They looked the other way & buried the story. If Bush had said this to Wolf Blitzer, we would STILL be hearing about it this evening, and you damned well know it. And rightly so!!!! So stop trying to put lipstick on the pig--IT'S STILL A PIG!!!

I love the tolerant liberals & their labels: "extremist filth". LOL !! Thanks for proving my point.

As for this comment of yours: "That article you posted obviously has an agenda, and the author has a chip on his shoulder the size of Iowa.."

I agree. They ALL do. It's just that 90%-95% of media writers have a LEFTIST chip on their shoulders. I posted a rare one with a rightist chip. HOWEVER, you are ignoring one key thing, Robin: chip or no chip, that author posted a FACT...and that was my point. The FACT is that, had the speaker of that comment been a Republican, we would he hearing about it until kingdom come.

16. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It's late and I don't feel like digging through the archives for this stuff right now, but I know there have been times in the past that you and others have completely brushed aside some statement because it was written up in an extreme leftist news source (Slate.com, CNN, Franken, have been specifically trashed). All I'm doing is pointing out that your nice little article happens to be in an extreme right news source. What makes that better than the left leaning one? Is all 'liberal' news crap, while all 'conservative' news the gospel truth? Do you think this news source or Rush Limbaugh jumped all over Bush when he said "there ought to be limits to freedom..." I'm so sick of these labels.. I actually have a hard time watching most political analysis these days because all they do is bicker about whether its liberal or conservative..

I happen to find the conservatives particularly annoying since they like to ***** and moan about how liberal the media is. Oddly enough, these same people are doing their *****ing and moaning on Rush Limbaugh's show or somewhere on FNN, both of which have had leading market share in their respective markets for years. How can they sit around *****ing about the liberal media when the cable news network and talk radio shows that serve as their platform for *****ing have the highest ratings and are both completely conservative??? And do they not know about the Washington Times, WSJ, Weekly Standard, etc??? Sounds like a lot of babies whining to me. Which of course is no different than a lot of the lefties as well. I wish they'd all just shut up and report the news.

And if you must know "liberals like me" are registered independents who will most likely vote libertarian this election ;)

-R

17. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Ah. found it :D

-R

18. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

I've read O'Rielly book. There is a fact or two in it. Have you read either Franken's or Moore's books? I suspect that you don't read these books, and frankly that's a shame, because neither side is totally right, regardless of what they say.

What I object to about the far right is that they believe that everyone who disagrees with them is evil. I know that to be a crock, and would hope that you realize the propaganda is out there. Ann Coulter is a prime example of mindless drivel without a whole bunch of reality. O'Reilly is one of the best, and there are times that he deserves to be read. In my humble opinion, though, he's a little too self righteous. We all have flaws, and his refusal to admit to his is a demerit in my opinion.

Art

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

I forgot to mention the WMDs" They've stopped looking for them. Withdrew the team either late last month or early this month. I guess they've given up. Your thoughts?

Art

20. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    You're almost no fun to argure with Dave cos you say things like the quote above. How can you state an assumption as "FACT?" LOL.

The truth is you can only ASSUME that the story would have been buried, you can't know that for FACT! Details, details...

Luke.

21. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

I love that you said this! Franken addresses this by saying something like "well, if a liberal media bent exists it must not be working since we have a consertivate president and congress!" Get over it!

Luke.

22. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Art,

I've read Coulter's book, as well as O'Riley's first book and I have read Moore's and Franken's and they are basically all the same.

Both sides are rabid liars that twist the facts to epic proportions. Yes there are facts touched upon by both sides but for the most part it's ideological dribble blown way out of proportion. Coulter's book is a prime example. Her whole book is based on a subject that is so uninteresting and irrlevant that it makes the book downright boring and defeats her purpose.

Franken's book isn't any better. And Moore's book doesn't even deserve mention. The guy is a complete moron. Look at his Columbine movie and all the false **** he fabricated or changed to suit his stance.

Listen to him on TV interviews, the man can barely spurt out an educated answer. Tim Russert asked him some questions about the Democratic candidates and their positions on certain issues and he couldn't respond because he didn't have any idea what their positions were. He answered the questions by pointing out Bush's weaknesses.

Of all of them O'Reily is closest to being half accurate, half the time.

What Gephardt said is truely ignorant and an abuse of executive power, but let's be honest here, Republicans and Democrats have abused executive power plenty of times.

Look at Bush wanting to give illiegal aliens, legal worker status. Where in the Constitution does it say you can break the law and then be rewarded for it. That is just as bad an abuse of the system.

Imagine I rob a bank and they President says, we'll change the law so you can legally keep the money you stole.

I find it quite humerous to listen to all the political biggots on either side, who do nothing but attack the other side with their extremist political views which they view as writen in stone like the ten commandments handed down from God.

The far right and the far left can't ever conceed that the other side has anything to offer.

While I am a conservative, I do think that some areas and issues that Democrats support make sense.

I still believe that little differs the right from the left. The right wants to regulate my moral values and the left wants to regulate my business values.

Just my 02 for the week.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Art, I have read Moore's book. Not read Franken's. I agree--neither side is completely correct on anything. I have no interest in reading Ann Coulter. She is very smart & spot on in many things, but just too damned hysterical for me---same as Franken. Please remember that the following sentence from your post can be easily & just as credibly altered to read: "What I object to about the far left is that they believe that everyone who disagrees with them is evil."

24. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Art, I have read Moore's book. Not read Franken's.

I've read it. Utter trash. Not surprising that someone from the left coast would use that to promote his points. Exactly why the supporters of same are going to lose huge in November. Remember that simple phrase: Lose huge. :)

25. ART360

ART360 Guest

The basic point is that for the most part we're polarized, and comments about the media being this or that indicate that maybe the media probably gets it right most of the time by pissing off both sides.

On another note Didn't Bush make an outrageous comments about congress at one point in the 2000 election? I seem to recall it, but can't find it.

Art