The Harley of Ferraris | FerrariChat

The Harley of Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by shmark, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've heard the 456 described as gorgeous, sensuous, bloated, old man's car, masterpiece...but this is a first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455218100&category=6212

"Just like motorcycles, often new and young riders start off with overpowered rice rockets; however, once the rider’s tastes are refined they prefer to ride a Harley Davidson. The 456M GTA is just that, the Harley of Ferraris. "

I'm not sure which way the insult is going here, but there's an insult here somewhere...isn't there?

Mark

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'd say the Lamborghinis are more the Harley of exotics. Ferraris are more like Ducatis.

Ken

3. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I'm with you Ken.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Motorcycle analogies
    To me the Viper is the Harley of exotics.
    And the Ferrari whopper 4cyl torque monster racers of the 50s are the Harley of Ferraris

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Saw it a few hours ago - he did a nice job of posting pics on a link.
    http://www.carad.com/eBaymotors/viewPhotos.cfm?listing=997736

"Just like motorcycles, often new and young riders start off with overpowered rice rockets; however, once the rider?s tastes are refined they prefer to ride a Harley Davidson. The 456M GTA is just that, the Harley of Ferraris."

Limited to Ferrari - not other marques - it's still not the best analogy in the world, but this GTA is clean.

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

The rear wheel offset is way wrong on that car - looks horrible IMHO.

Greg

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've always thought that Ferrari was the Harley of automobiles. Like Harleys, a Ferrari is expensive to buy and maintain, looks great, sounds like no other , not the fastest or best handling, BUT, has a mystic that makes everyone want one and most people turn their head when one goes by.

8. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Didn't notice the offset until I read your post Greg. Yeah, it really looks odd.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  10. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Sorry, I can't tell if The Harley of Ferraris is supposed to be a compliment or an insult.

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If I had to pick the Harley of Ferraris, I couldn't do it. It's just too apples/space shuttles, so different I can't wrap my brain around it.

You might make a case for the 4-cyl Dinos being compared to the Harley flat-track racers, but even that's tough.

Mark

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Harley of Cars? Hmmm, I think I'd have to go with the Hummer H1. Loud, obnoxious, cruiser/bruiser.

The Ferrari of Motorcycles? Too easy, take your pick: Ducati, Aprilia, MV Agusta.

The Porsche of Motorcycles? Pick any Japanese crotch rocket.

Mark

13. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I'm biased here since I own both the Harley and Ferrari, but I would consider the remark as a compliment. I see that this vehicle is listed in CA, but here in the Midwest, such a statement would be intended to mean you've reached the pinnacle in vehicle ownership.

One could try to take the statement for more than face value, i.e., attempt to take it to the next level. The next level above the Harley would be a hand-made customized chopper, much like you see on the Discovery Channel with their wildly popular programs featuring shops like West Coast Choppers and Orange County Choppers.

The next level above the Ferrari doesn't exist though...

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I wouldn't be caught dead or alive on a harley.Complete lack of technology,nothing ever changes.Unless you mention the german harley.They do have a few things alike.Both typically hold their value better than there respective cycle or car counterparts.Neither are known for great reliability.Both have loyal followers that overlook the shortcomings and focus on things like heritage and mystique.In the end I l love ferrari's to death regardless of their practicality.The harleys just do nothing at all for me.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    My opinion

The harley of cars is the corvette.
    Living on a once great heritage is shared by both,

Years of relying on a faithful following without bringing anything new to the table FOR DECADES (both)

Dedicated near fanatical following sometimes made up of people who have never owned one or ever hope to own one (ok fine Ferrari is there too)

Technically Stunted overpriced under performing relic that will continue to sell dispite disapointing product (corvette and Harley)

Has a reputation that far exceeds its abilities (Harley and vette)

Shows some potential of getting back to building (bikes/cars) instead of building "Brand Recognition" VRod C6.....

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, the NEW Harley VRod is a big change, so is the Buell bikes now owned by Harley. I have to agree with what you are trying to say, but the VRod is a big radical change for them. Yep it still is a 45 degree twin but it is water cooled and I believed 4 valves per cylinder with overhead cams!!!! I believe the engine was designed for them by Porsche ... but I could be wrong.

Plus the use of a carbon fibre belt instead of a messy oily chain to get the (lack of) power to the rear wheels is new technology.

I probably would never own a Harley, but I could own a Buell and have much more respect for the company recently now that they have been brave and moved into the 80's :)), maybe 00's) with technology.

Pete

17. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I think Porsche was involved in that engine. The VRod is a much cooler looking bike than conventional Harley's to me. Harley was one of, if not the, first to use Kevlar belts for final drive. Having said that, I'll still take a Ducati. Buell designers need some symetry lessons. They are so goofy looking to me.

18. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Indeed porsche took Harley's rather unsuccessful AMA superbike engine and did all the development work on it.It was in the special they had on tv.

19. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    About a year ago, Discovery ran a program on the VROD's birth - what a mess. The designers were saying 'Yeah, this thing has 130 Hp; we never dealt with anything like this before and need to invent new techiques for putting all this power into a bike.'.

What a dork (geez I haven't used that in a while).. Hmm 130Hp in a bike what other production bikes exceed 130Hp.... I think none.... but oh wait.... hey I almost forgot, the Japnese have been doing this for 1 millllliiioooon years!

I ran into Scott Russell @ Road America a fews ago when he was racing for Harley - he was openly commenting on how poor the VR1000 was.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Harley is the BEST at what it does...period. That's why all the jap companies are trying to copy its looks and sound. They still have been unable to do so yet. Like Ferraris, if someone has to ask why you own one, they probably wouldn't understand the answer anyway. Sure they're faster, better handling, cheaper, higher tech., and quiter bikes out there, but they're not Harleys. I have owned my 1992 Fatboy for over 10 years now and it is still worth more than I paid for it. So the market also agrees that Harleys are the one to own as well. To call Ferrari the Harley of cars is a hugh complement that I'm not sure Ferrari deserves. After all, there are a lot more Harleys made every year than Ferraris for an even smaller market yet they still hold their value better than Ferraris.

21. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, they do look nice and sound good.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The shields are wrong as well.....

DL

23. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    What's interesting is Harley makes a vastly inferior product to say the japanese.The average person doesn't know a Harley from a honda or anything else from my experience.Kinda like someone saying nice mustang to a ferrari owner.But if a harley is what you want I say buy it we only live once.Might as well enjoy it.

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    aawil, "inferior" in what respect? Certainly not in styling, sound or sales. Sure they're not the fastest, but they're not designed to be. Like it or not, Harleys like Ferraris are as much status symbols and fashion statements as they are motorcycles and motorcars.

25. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Inferior build quality and engine reliablity mainly.Although I think their more reliable now than a few years ago.My neighbor is always working on his.I think his is a early or mid nineties.Most of there styling looks dated to me, maybe it's just me but you see a new one and some of them look like the were designed in the 70's.I think they sound like crap myself,like they have a ignition problem or something.But I guess some people like it.Not to mention that rediculous shaking that they have which is a by product of the engine not being balanced.I don't think sales will ever be a problem for them as of course they sell very well.Frank I apoligize if I offended you since you do own one. I wasn't really intending to attack them or anything.Just stating my thoughts on them.