550 Upgrade: 19" Rims & MovIt Brakes | FerrariChat

550 Upgrade: 19" Rims & MovIt Brakes

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bjc138, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    Just picked up my 550 from its service. Took the opportunity to replace the original wheels with a set of 19" rims (from 575 options list). Also replaced the brakes with MovIt ones (http://www.movit.de/htm/380fr.htm). I found the original ones faded during a few track days this year and since I was replacing the discs anyway...

Hope to get to Magny Cours in a week or two to try them out for real.

Only allowed 1 pic per post: Rear.

2. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
  3. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Very nice.. thanks for posting.. they look great!
    Just gave me another idea to spend money on.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    they do look really nice :) and they show off the new brakes really well. Did you find that the factory breaks overheated?

5. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Very nice,

I have a 550 and had the same trouble with the brakes.
    Basicly 12 laps and in as the brakes were cooked.

I would be very interested in how you get on with the new ones.
    Keep us posted please.

Also which tyres did you go for?

Thanks
    Wazza

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Top notch! 380mm (15"!) brakes should haul you down right quick!

Best!
    Ben.

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I just got 18" modular for my 360 and looking for similar 19" 's 575M wheels for my 550.

Where can I get those in a better deal??

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Good Lord! Those are AWESOME!

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Can you post a pic of the entire car with the modular wheels ?
    Maybe a 3/4 front view ?

Good luck at Magny Cours !

10. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    zjpj: Found that the originals brakes faded after 7 or more hard laps. The clincher for me was at the end of the Adria raceway straight when the pedal reached the floor!

wazza: The tyres are Pirelli P-Zero 305 rear and 255 front.

shelbee: My deal was a good one. Right place, right time to exchange my originals for the upgrade.

amenasce: Here's a pic of the car from the side, as requested.

The were two other high points: 1. I took a beautiful black Stradale for a blast on Swiss roads, through a tunnel at 7k rpm...absolutely magic! Those brakes and that exhaust....will post my impressions later... 2. I visited a motorbike collection that must be seen to be believed. There was an original Ferrari motorbike (one for the historians to describe!), 2 Maserati bikes and countless MV's, Moto Guzzi's etc. I was speechless!

Two low points also though: 1. Got flashed by police radar at 150kmh+ on my MVF4 (no place for the V1 on it!). 2. Handed over my MV as a trade-in for the Stradale that's due in 4-5 weeks time. I hope my license is still with me when the car arrives (see 1.)!!

11. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Indeed they are awesome, gorgeous and the whole lot of great adjectives that cna be showered on them. I have heard from an owner who claims that these wheels are a pain because the leak air and you have to keep checking the tire pressures. He even had to take one wheel in to the dealer to have it repaired because it was leaking too fast. Any comments please? I would love to buy those wheels and have been looking for a set on EBay.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    bjc138

Thanks a lot ! the Modular wheels are amazing !
    Stradale , swiss road and a tunnel ? WOW !! that must be like heaven !!

13. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Bjc138,

I definately want to hear your Stradale review.
    I have one coming at about the same time.

Wazza

14. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    they look awesome. damn i love red calipers.

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Loosk absolutely awesome. Glad to know the 575 wheels fit.

How are you liking the ride / feel with the new wheels? Also, how are the new brakes for daily use?

--Dan

16. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    Dan,
    The feel with the bigger rims/wider tyres is slightly different, can't quite put my finger on it but it seems to track more directly. I've put over 200 miles on it since I picked it up and I went for a 'spirited' drive yesterday in 8C degree sunshine. The brakes are impressive, to say the least. There's a beautiful initial bite and predictable pressure application that slows from 180kmh to 30kmh in an instant (over and over...). Lots of brake dust on the new rims and, given the brakes track focus, they're surprisingly easy to live with in normal driving situations (hardly a squeal).

Anyone that tracks their 550 should seriously consider this upgrade...you will not regret it!

-- Brian

17. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    GREAT LOOKING CAR. am thinking about upgrading the brake as well. Just a qucik ?. Did you change both the F & R brakes or just the F? How much did the brakes cost you?

thanks

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think the 550 brakes are a weakpoint, even if you don't track it. In fact, I'm almost afraid of tracking this car because of the brake fade...I expect a few hard laps at best.

--Dan

19. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I ended up buying the set from Ferrari UK good deal, one of them had to be return because of the factory defect and they sent me a new one, unfortunately I had to pay shipping both ways

20. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian, gorgeous, just gorgeous. The thought of the stradale in the tunnel at wot gave me goosebumps!
    Dan, I put in all new fluid, upgraded to Ferodo 2500 pads and had no problem running around Thunderhill all day. Brakes were true and strong.

21. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dan,

Not true. With the proper fluid & pads, the 550's brakes are just fine on track. I track my 550 regularly..in Texas..where it is H-O-T. I use Ferodo DS2500 intermediate pads (street & track, they work great for both) and Casdtrol SRF fluid. No fade, no problems, no worries. And the car stops again & again & again.

22. gl911

gl911 Rookie

Jun 5, 2004
    Luxembourg
    If you want good prices on Movit brakes, e-mail [email protected], this the mail address of the MD André Schoreder of accel.lu who resells and installs these brakes. They also happen to be resellers for Pagani, Mosler, Koenigsegg, TVR, Wiesmann and a bunch of other stuff. Check them out at www.accel.lu (Just saw that the site is in French, but still cool)

G.

23. gl911

gl911 Rookie

Jun 5, 2004
    Luxembourg
    Btw, I dod not want to start a debate, but fact is that even with more aggressive pads, improved flexibles and higher temperature (racing type) brake fluid, the brakes will still suffer given the size of the contact patch, vs the weight to decelaret - simple physics. In my Tuscan Racer I drive Spa in 2:44 - which is not exactly slow - and have driven all of my cars there including Viper GTS (brakes cooked and disks warped), 996 Techart TT (brakes cooked), 996 GT2 PCCB (disks broken!!!) if I look at the good experiences, 964 RS with std brakes very good, 996 supercup very good, TVR Tuscan with AP Racing very good (all light cars).

So as far as I am concerned, I won't take any chances and update the brakes.

Just my 2 c.

24. shelbee

shelbee Guest

25. gl911

gl911 Rookie

Jun 5, 2004
    Luxembourg
    I know this is a Ferrari site, but I wanted to share a couple of pictures of one of my TVRs with the Movit upgrade ;-)

http://www.movit.de/htm/tvrc.htm

PS: Didn't know there was a dealer in the US, but they are worth the $$$