Thumbnails vs. full pictures | FerrariChat

Thumbnails vs. full pictures

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bobafett, Oct 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Thumbnails or the full picture?

1. I like the confounded new thumbnails

2. I much prefer the old style full image

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Personally I prefer the latter. Thumbnails that you have to download / open in a new window are no good.

--Dan

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    you dont have to download them. Just open them.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You can still post full images - See my post in the showroom.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey, if you're going to have a poll, at least have non-prejudice text. :)

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Another thing is without thumbnails, if you post two images, then both are just a link. No way to show them all inline yet.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    BIG pictures. :D

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Simple things with the new software seem to require more computer knowledge than I have......it seems to have a lot more options, but simple things, like a full size picture don't seem as easy. There's a lot of grey on the screen too even with the red/yellow color selected, I could do without that.

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Full-size images all the way! The thumbs are a PITA.

Just my 2 Lire. (obsolete I know)

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rarely do I get that emotional, but these thumbnails are real stinkers. Hate them all the way. I have setup my account with photobucket.com so I can still post pictures directly. Monochromatic thumbnails, c'mon, who came up with that crap! Horrible.

What this will really do is slow down people to post pictures. I'll be thinking now twice whether I really want to add a photo or not given all the hassle. And that's a real pity. I love photos, mine and other people's.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why?

The posting of the picture is exactly the same as it used to be, in fact slightly more intuitive. Assuming they post so it displays as a thumbnail.

I hated the idea at first and had some trouble posting my first 'test' picture but now I have got it working (different PC was required) and I cannot see the problem anymore.

Yep if I am actually interested in a picture I have to click on it and wait for it to open in another window ... but considering all the pictures that I am not going to be interested in, this method probably saves my time.

Pete

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Why?

Well first of all if I post a picture the board turns it into some ugly monochromatic monstrosity. If it would leave it in real color and just make it smaller, I wouldn't mind.

Second in order to post the real picture now I have to first upload it to a different site and then reference to it. That takes quite more time than just loading them all into the message as we were able to do. Now Rob even mentioned that he will take that feature away as well. Great, we'll be left with monochromatic crap. Sad.

I hope I'm missing here something, but that's how I see it. And that plain sucks.

I can deal with a lot of change, but loosing color pictures is half the fun IMHO.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Remember that once somebody clicks on the thumbnail they will see the TRUE colour picture. Also the thumbnail picture is hosted by Rob's site (yes I thought that you had to host elsewhere too, but I'm wrong).

Thus what is wrong with the thumbnail being monchromatic ... who cares, if you want a better look click on it. On my computer it only takes a second or 2 to display ... :) , but it would take longer over a dial up.

edit: Also we never used to be able to display a picture hosted elsewhere before ... now we can which is actually useful too, ie. you do not have to make a copy on your own computer and then upload it to display a picture you found on another site ... say.

Pete

14. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Monochromatic makes you have to download the picture, taking up space/performance on your comp (I think so at least), and is a general annoyance.

I wouldn't think that load time is a concern of many, and if it is they can wait. Get with the program! The future is here, no more dialup.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, please look at my post in the "Updates" sticky thread. I've turned off the thumbnails for you to try it out.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Testing ...

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I just put a limit of one image per post. This will keep all images displayed and inline. In the future I will work on allowing more images per post displayed inline like the old board.

Is this acceptable James? :)

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to be too much of a whiner, but one pic per post still doesn't cut it. That's is fine for threads like "Show me your Ferrari", but won't do us any good for events updates where people come back with say 20 pictures.

But you are walking into the right direction, Rob. Keep going, atta boy!
    :p

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rob,

When you do multiple images, do they show up in horizontal order, or can you hit the carriage return and have them show up in line. For example:

IMG1 IMG2 IMG3 ...

-vs-

IMG1

IMG2

IMG3

--Dan

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well you can't do multiple images now, but when I do set that up there will be a carriage return.

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401

Dan check that thread... all I did was use the img tag properly and on the next line do it all over agian. Total of ten times the first post, and eight the second post. Seems like it puts an image per line (can I say that?)

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    vraa, how the hell did you do that? Multiple pics in one email? Tell us please!

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Can't do that anymore. That was probably done with the IMG tag, that's very bad because it's displaying the image from another place and once it leaves that place it leaves FC and we have an ugly Red X.

All images will be store on FC.