360 problems & PPI | FerrariChat

360 problems & PPI

Discussion in '360/430' started by ze_shark, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    A friend of mine is ready to make the jump on a 2nd hand 360.
    Based on what I gather from the archives, there are not that many recurrent problems on 360s. All I found, aside from the ABC of 2nd hand Ferrari buying is:
    - some battery problems
    - suspension ball joints: true ? how can it be diagnosed ?
    - broken door handles
    - the usual clutch problems on mistreated F1s
    - < broken ashtrays >

I also found the following (quote):
    - F1 pump (stranded): 12,000 miles
    - F1 relay(s): 15,000 miles
    - Grounding problems: 1,500 miles
    - Misc check engine light coming on requiring dealer visit: 4 times
    - Popping out of gear: 10,000 miles (new brain, etc installed)
    - Shift brain adjustment: 3 times
    (Apparently the car must have been a lemon).

Comments welcome & appreciated, want to look at the right stuff during PPI.

2. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    I have had two 360s and have had zero problems. The most reliable car I have ever owned.

Russ

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hi JC,

i had a recurring check engine light on both of my 2002 360s. they first thought it was a grounding issue, but that wasn't it. apparently a large number of 2002 360s had this problem and the final solution was to replace the ECUs with 2003 ECUs. they did this to both of my 360s and the problem was solved.

this is not exactly related to your post, but in the newer 360s (i think 2001 and newer??) there is an easy adjustment called PIS (point of initial slippage) that adjusts how the clutch engages in the F1 gearbox system. dealers can easily manipulate this parameter by simply plugging the car into their computer and setting a new parameter. apparently, they set this at the factory to some default value that is fine for most cars. but it's not always the ideal setting. for instance, one of my 360s seemed to slip the clutch too much while accelerating from first gear. also, when downshifting at moderate RPMs it would seem that there was a bit of clutch lag. nothing drastic, but enough to know something wasn't quite right. a quick trip to the dealer solved the problem completely and easily. the PIS adjustment has about 10 increments so they can adjust the clutch to be very aggressive or very moderate or some place in the middle. i prefer aggressive so they tweaked the parameter a bit and resolved my problem completely. please tell your friend to be aware of this in case the car he buys needs an adjustment.

best,

rick

4. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Good information!! Thanks

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Any other 360 owner experience to share for a good cause ?

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I've had 2 360s. The only problems I had were: bad battery and check engine light. I have an F1 and there have been no problems with it. The car shifts like butter. Also, on my spider the top works flawlessly. The 360 has been more reliable than my wife's MB.

7. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a 2003 360-F1 which is in storage for the winter. Only problem was one time I heard a loud clanging noise coming from right front wheel. Went straight to dealer but they couldn't find anything and it stopped making the sounds on its own but it will have to be checked again because it was a horrible loud noise. No other problems until last week when I went to turn the engine over briefly: Driver's door won't open, engine won't start, transmission doesn't respond to paddles. I hope it's just the cold weather right now but even then it shouldn't do it IMHO.
    Otherwise the F1 transmission has been perfect.
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari without a warranty.

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    oh yeah. one more thing that is very important. the horn on a 360 sounds like a ford or a buick :) you should immediately replace the stock horn with a 355 airhorn :) surprisingly this horn only costs about $100...but it is worth it if/when you ever have to honk at somebody. LOL. i'm only half joking. i have owned three 360's and i have replaced the horn in each of them...and when my stradale (same horn as a modena) arrives next month i'm also going to replace the horn :)

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Where would you purchase the air horns?

10. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i dont know about that i hardly ever use the horn on my existing car , i can count the times ive had to

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
  12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    There have been over 20 separate engine ancillary and internal up grades for the 360 Challenge cars since 1999.

If you're going to do lots of hard track work, get the newest car you can find, which has all the parts already, or make sure you budget for an engine freshen by someone who knows whats been done to challenge 360 engines.

13. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    What was the problem with the f1 trans popping out of gear? I have heard of this problem previously and am quite interested. Any information would be great.

14. Bel360

Bel360 Karting

Nov 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    No problems yet with my 10/2001 360F1, just also added third year of extra warranty just in case. (full factory warranty) Best thing to do if it's second hand

Bart

15. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&amp;Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    A few months ago, I saw some posts regarding the top on the spiders not working properly. Has that problem been solved?

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've got a few 360 clientele who drive their cars on an almost daily basis.

The only issues I have been "advised of/dealt with" are a slow leak in a hydraulic cylinder that caused a 360 spider top to stop in "mid cycle" and a few check engine lights that were rectified by good gas and/or closing the gas cap properly to seal the tank.

All the first hand experiences for me that I can pass on have been for the most part favorable. These are 2 year old cars with between 7-10,000 km.

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I have had zero mechanical problems in 2 years and counting. Also no oil usage as I broke in my car per manual. Good Luck
    The gas guage never reads over 3/4 full and I understand that is a known problem with a new sending unit required.

18. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    2001 360f1, 9150 miles. My check engone light has come on twice. Once was a purge valve, once was a loose hose. Typically it's minor. They replaced my battery for me. Nice.

The F1 shifter would grab/release causing lurching at takeoff on occassion. The only way to get out was go to 2nd manually. I have seem this on other 360's. So clutch adjustment is the trick. It appears the mechanism came two ways. One "self learning" and one manually adjusted. I think the later ones are manual. They were going to install that one for me, but the ones they just received will not work on my car. Regardless...it shifts like butter now.

Also...they had to roll my inner wheel wells as the tires when cocked would rub when backing up in certain situations. I know this is not uncommon...but doubt my M3 would ever have such a silly problem.

19. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Finally did due diligence today in test driving for an hour the 2000'360F1 a friend is about to buy. Red/tan 1st hand car, 15'500km (a bit less than 10Kmi), excellent overall condition, obviously well maintained.
    Had only driven 360s on a track before so a street/road experience was something new for me.

The car drives well, brakes well, the engine is torquey low down and pulls hard till the redline, sound is standard-exhaust-boring unless you pull the windows down.

The two things which did not seem right:

- clutch engagement from standstill is a disaster. Probably related to poor adjustment of the PIS (Point of Initial Slippage) refered to below in this thread by 720. If you feather the throttle, there is excessive slippage, if you depress more there is a jerky engagement. A steep uphill start is an embarassing experience, the worst sequential I ever drove. My 355F1 behaves incomparably better in this area (I think my Smart does as well
    >;-).

- there a couple of slightly noticeable hard points on the steering either side of the central point. Really weird.

Any comments or hints on these two points ?

20. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

well this is a very interesting post.

Actually, so many individuals posting on this board say how much 'better' and advanced the 360F1 is to the 355F1 but advanced it may be- better it aint!

In fact the drive by wire throttle on the 360 makes it far worse by direct comparison. Its only by 2002 onwards that the 360F1 was 'better' whatever one deems that to be. Ferarri changed the F1 system from the 99 version because of all the problems.

Also there were early paint problems with oxidisation near the fuel filler and mid rear wing and in addition the front wheels in certain circumstances try to destroy the front arches