Why is the Saleen S7 so much lighter than the Enzo? | FerrariChat

Why is the Saleen S7 so much lighter than the Enzo?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Jameel, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    I purchased Road and Track’s “Best Sports and GT cars” issue yesterday. I was comparing weight and dimensions between the S7 and the Enzo (~3200 lbs) and I was surprised to see, the S7 (~2800 lbs) weighs 400 lbs less than the Enzo. Why?

Other than the Enzo is a V12 and the S7 is a V8 I don’t see much difference in size.

By the way, the Enzo recorded the fastest ¼ mile at 11.1@133mph, it posted a 1.01g and did the (700 ft) slalom at 73mph. That quarter mile time is very impressive for a production car. The 133 mph shows how much this car will pull past the ¼ mile and/or from a roll.
    Oh and it record 3.24 secs from 0 to 60mph.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Air bags..?

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I think they left reliabilty and comfort out. They weigh a lot.

4. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    i remember reading an article when the enzo first came out, that they (Ferrari) were a little disappointed with the weight of the Enzo bc they were shooting for about 100-200 lbs lighter (i dont recall the exact figure). they said this was due to the exta reinforcement that had to be added to meet crash standards. this along with the extra comfort and luxury over the S7 is most likely what adds a lot of that weight.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    All that F1 engineering adds weight.

6. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    Just out of interest, does anyone have weights for the Carrera GT, Zonda, Koenigsegg, SLR, etc? And don't different manufacturers quote figures based on different criteria? One I do know is the F1 - I believe that weighed in at 2500 lbs, which is very impressive.

7. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    According to Road and Track article. The S7 has A/C, power windows, power locks, LCD screen (for the rear mounted camera). Wouldn't the S7 have to meet crash standards?

8. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i was just watching this Top Gear episode where they were comparing old vs new cars and the weights.

http://www.nissanzx.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/TopgearOldvNew.wmv

not really sure on the weight thing though. i mean, both of them lack in luxury. like allen said, it could be all of that f1 technology. it could be the active aerodynamics or something along those lines.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i read a similar article in Evo about that they also stated emissions or something played a slight factor for them going over there target weight.