European GPs in jeopardy? | FerrariChat

European GPs in jeopardy?

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Max Mosley is asking the European Union to get excemption from new legislation, which would allow law enforcement to take team members into custody after a fatal racing accident.

If this excemption is not granted, the Grand Prix in Belgium, Spain and England might not take place, where this law is already in effect. Other EU countries would follow.

Having seen what might happen after Senna's accident, this is not too far fetched. Of course it would also help Bernie and his efforts to get F1 out of Europe where tobacco advertisement is mostly banned.

I just hope they'll find an agreement.
    :(

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see another US event to either replace or join the Indy race.Not right away but eventually.

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    hopefully not in downtown Phoenix again since that track SUCKED!!!!

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If all European GPs would get cancelled (hard to imagine), then I could see another GP in the US. If we're only talking a few countries (as is currently the thread), I don't see the US on top of Bernie's list. After all support is low and tobacco ads banned (at least for all practical purposes).

I'd say Moscow, Turkey and some more Mediterranean countries are next on the list of expansion.

Personally I would like Phoenix. Heck I liked Las Vegas, Houston and Dallas. They're different, they're street circuits and currently we only have Monaco. They look Mickey Mouse, true, but it takes a 100% together driver to survive on them with his car intact. A lot more difficult than any road course where a misplaced wheel normally doesn't end the race.