speedline 355 challenge wheels | FerrariChat

speedline 355 challenge wheels

Discussion in '348/355' started by Doody, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm a big fan of the 355 challenge speedline wheels. but i can't find any information about them online. i can't find a speedline site either.

i'm curious to know what sizing they come in, etc.

any pointers most appreciated.

doody.

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.

Doody,

The official 355 Speedlines for the Challenge series are made of Magnesium and come in white only. I seem to recall they weigh about 19 pounds for the rears and 17 for the fronts (not light for a race wheel) and come in 18 inch diameter only.

Front and rear offset: 60mm, 80mm respectively. Rears were 18 x 10 and fronts were 18 x 8.

I think Rob S. told me that they were originally introduced on Peter Sach's 348 Challenge and used there in the last year. They were official gear on the 355 C's from 95-99 though the spoke design was a slight bit different from the ones Peter used on his 348. In all other respects they are the same.

To put them on a street 355 you need longer lug bolts or convert to a stud setup. Some Ferrari dealers were selling titanium conversions but they were something like $500 for a set.

SL Competition in Florida was the last place selling them but I think they are out of production. Speedline did make a knockoff street wheel with different dimensions in silver.

I had these wheels on my street 355 with the conversion (aftermarket bolts) and they worked fine for about two years. Some people claim they are not strong enough for the street but I figure if it can go bouncing over curbing at the track at 100 mph it should do fine on the street.

Used sets go for $1500-$2000. The higher number is usually for unused or street ones.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Just a couple of points to follow-up on Jon's most informative post.

1. Longer aftermarket wheel bolts are indeed needed; your standard wheel bolts will "work", but there isn't enough thread grabbing the hub. Doh. Longer bolts are available from Ferrari, but they are something like $20-25 A PIECE. I got a set of aftermarket bolts from a well-respected spacer, spring and bolt manufacturer, for something like $5-6 a piece. :)

2. I was concerned about strength on the street as well, because I had heard the same thing about how the Challenge wheels are magnesium and too brittle for street use. Then Rob S. clued me in by pointing out that the stock wheels are made by Speedline and are also magnesium....

Like Jon said, used sets are generally available in various classified forums (ferrariads.com, Ferrarimarketletter.com, the FCA classifieds, etc.). IMHO, the stock wheels look better than the Challenge wheels, and lots of aftermarket wheels are available too. But the Challenge wheels are relatively light, they are "official", very easy to clean, and you can refinish them in whatever color you want. :)

vty,

--Dennis

4. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Doody- I purchased my F355 Challenge wheels new from www.garedcars.com almost two years ago. I don't remember what I paid then, however I recently received an e-mail (advertisement) from them listing several items on sale, including the F355 Challenge wheels. I don't know if they are still on sale of if they even have any more left. Just an FYI.

Bighead-I had no idea longer bolts were needed for the Challenge wheels. FOD mounted the wheels when I purchased the car from them and never recommended using longer studs. Which bolt manufacturer did you go through if you don't mind me asking?

5. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    From my archives:

>When using Speedline Challenge wheels on a Ferrari 355 (or 348 for that matter), the stock bolts aren't long enough for the wheel -- there is only a 1/4" holding the bolt on, instead of the 1/2" for the stock street wheels. Actual 355 Challenge cars use a stud/nut solution. So, I needed some new, longer bolts.

The required bolts are 14mm x 1.5mm thread pitch, conehead, and 2.5 inches long.

A couple of options:

http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/appguides/app_search.cgi?make=Ferrari&qt=studbolt&model=F355&submit=Search%21&thread=Choose+Thread

http://www.ecstuning.com/HR/support/how_to_mesure.html

I ordered a set of new H&R lug bolts (HR141560FER, 60mm, M14x1.5 ) from ECS, for $4.95 apiece (plus shipping), in lieu of the ~$70 or so that Ferrari charges PER BOLT.

Prestige wheel also sells bolts that look as if they'll work, but they are $8.97 apiece. Part# 20-4316-C 14mm 1.50 RH Dacromet 60mm Shank 83mm Overall.
    http://www.prestigewheel.com/Image204211c.asp

Dear Mr. 92_348ts, a different solution is to shave the back of the Challenge wheels a bit. FoW did this for a friend when they sold a set of Challenge wheels. I was surprised, as it seems to me that the new bolt path is the better way to go. Go out to the garage and measure the total thickness of the Challenge wheel, v the stock wheel. Good luck!

vty,

--Dennis

6. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Dennis.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    How hard/involved is it to put the new bolts on?

8. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Take a socket, unscrew your current bolt, then screw in the new bolt. Torque to correct spec. Voila!

Of course, if you're swapping wheels, you'll just do it when you put the new wheels on.

vty,

--Dennis

9. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #9 348paul, Jan 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Okay, I am probably a moron for asking this but going by your description, Dennis, am I right in thinking that on Ferraris the the bolts screw on through the wheels as opposed to having mounting the wheels onto bolts that are pressed into part of the suspension/brake rotor assembly and tightening them with nuts?

Sorry if this is a totally stupid question.

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    And no, I didn't read the owner's manual yet.

12. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yup. The 355 uses a lug BOLT set-up, where you put the wheel onto the hub then run bolts through the wheel and into the hub. Huge pain in the a$$ to center the wheel properly so the holes line up. Much easier if you use a "helper" extension (which a friend of mine had made up, or you can buy from a lot of places for cheap money) - screw it into the hub first, then slide one hole of the wheel onto that stud, then screw in 4 lug bolts, then unscrew extension, then screw in last lug bolt.

The other system you describe, using wheel studs and lug NUTS, is used on the 355 Challenge. Simple enough conversion, if one wants to do it. Dunno what the advantages/disadvantage are. Though it is much easier to mount the wheel with the Challenge set-up.

vty,

--Dennis

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Yep. Sounds like a real pain in the ass, no doubt. Well, I look forward to it.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    See my post on "Buttonwillow raceway update" under the southern california section of FC. I'm car 53 with the last set of official white speedlines sold by Sl comp. My car is an 91 348 and it did not need longer wheel bolts. In fact the rear bolts with the355C wheel hit the parking brake mechanisim on the last thread of the bolt just barely. They are too long!, not too short. The wheels also say competition use onyl. These are not a DOT approved Item. If you use them on the street and have an issue with them you are liable since you are not using a dot approved product. The road challenge cars have a different challenge wheel claimed to be just thicker paint and more clearcoat. Who knows the difference may only be a sticker.

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have 2 sets of 348/355 Challenge wheels on my 348. One set I painted silver for the street and the other I left stock and put slicks on them for the track.

They are brilliant wheels. They got rid of so much weight at the corners. The car turns in so much better with a much lighter feel. I was also able to fit much wider rubber...any difficult handling problems are cancelled out. I think they look so much better than the stock wheels, and with the 348 you can fit big brakes because of the increased diameter. Overall a great addition!

As far as reliability.....I have used them for 8-9 years with zero problems. If you can get them....buy them. But get the lighter race versions.

Ciao....Dino

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Ingenere

What size tyres do you use FRONT ? AND REAR ?

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am putting on the street versions of the wheels. However, I was told by the person getting them for me that they also come with the longer bolts.

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I should mention this:

If you're changing from stock 355 wheels to Challenge wheels and are still using your stock lug bolts, CHECK TO MAKE SURE that your bolts are long enough. The stock bolts ARE long enough to seat and hold the wheel on, and it's easy to think that everything is all right. But the amount of thread that engages the hub is actually NOT LONG ENOUGH. So you think you're fine, and the next thing you know, you're being passed by your rear wheel. Better safe than sorry, especially if a whole set of new lug bolts is only $120.

vty,

--Dennis

19. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia

This is all very confusing. I have 3 355 speedlines (white of which 2 front and one rear). Recently found a spare rear, though this is silver. Bought it as I cant find anymore of the white ones (all purchased brand new). Now wondering if I am going to have a problem....