Darts...? Billiards...? Scrabble...? | FerrariChat

Darts...? Billiards...? Scrabble...?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Erik's Pinochle thread reminded me of this thread that i wanted to start...

i've always liked billiards but was never good at it... Picked up darts from my uncle; with a little practice, i think i could hit a few bullseyes, still... Scrabble, though... There's a game i used to play, literally 6-8 hours a night, EVERY night...

i always like threads like this 'cause i find out who does what and i think a lot of folks here are into some pretty diverse extra curricular activities... Anyone here have any billiards/darts/Scrabble stories or enjoy these games leisurely or on a regular basis...?

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I miss darts big time. When I lived in the Santa Clara Valley, I was on several teams for over ten years. Now in Hooterville, there are no darts.

3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I used to shoot pool 3-4 hours a day. Now I play once or twice a year.. I've moved on the big stuff like Scrabble, Yahtzee, and Trivial Pursuit. Scrabble is truly one of the best games ever. I'll have to search around to see if there's an online version...

-R

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Robin, yes...! There IS...! i just don't remember where... i think it was through Yahoo, i'm just not sure... Trivial Pursuit might as well be politics for all i care, i never fair well at it... Scrabble was always a favorite of mine... If you ever find it, let me know, i'd love to play...

5. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I saw some crazy people on ESPN2 playing scrabble. The announcers said that they studied their dictionaries 3-4 hours A DAY! Wow, that is pretty intense.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ah, memories... LOL... i never studied for that long, but my partner and i played definitions into challenges... Meaning, if one of us challenged the other's word, they challengee would have to know the definition of the word (if it was, in fact, in the Scrabble dictionary) in order to remain on the board... We became so accustomed to 7 letters, we eventually moved up to 8; then 9; then 10... Then back down to 7...

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Darts - finally picked up a cheap set of darts at academy a few weeks ago and have been playing more and more at the local pub with friends. I'm not great, but not bad and improving each time.

Billiards - been playing for years, nothing serious. Honestly, I'm only good after a few drinks.

Scrabble - sure, but only every so many years.

What I really dig to play? Chess.

8. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I taught my wife how to play chess a few weeks ago. She promptly kicked my ass the first game, and regularly beats me. She has a very logical mind, is also really good at logic puzzles.

I can spank her at Yahtzee though.

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i got a really nice dart board for christmas years ago and i have yet to put it up i keep wanting to but for one reason or another i wont do it. I do have a pool table though and i spend alot of time shooting pool.

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Peter;

I thought you lived in Bugtussle!!!! :D

My personal favorite is playing Twister.......

Naked with my girlfriend ;)

Rob

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Scha.....Buy a decent set of darts if you like the game. It will do two things:1) Improve your game 2) You will have a cool set of darts! I have two sets, both tungsten steel. One set are hammers (The tips go back into the shaft about an 18th of an inch on impact. This keeps the dart from bouncing off the wires. Both sets were around $200 (with a leather case of course!)

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    peters - I'll look into it somewhere down the line, but for the time being, the $10 set from academy works. one day though... I'll indulge.

prohydro - it's good to hear that she has skills like that. you have to love women who know how to think and challenge you. ...well, I do at least!

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I play billiards and darts. I don't play darts near as much as I'd like to anymore, but I get to play billiards a couple times a week.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    JARTS! You guys remember that one, I'm sure.

15. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What a coincidence! My favorite is playing naked twister with your girlfriend! ;)

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

17. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
  18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I thought this was going to be a british games thread for a second there. Billiards to me is a game played with one red ball and two cue balls (one with a white dot). Played on a full size snooker table (12ftx6ft). It was popular before snooker, but was relatively easy for an advaced player such that breaks might last several hours.

Needless to say it lacks a certain *immediacy* over Pool.

Darts and Pool are both games that should be played with beer - I particularly like 9-ball, and if you've got a few friends, the darts game "Killer" is a great fun game.

I also love scrabble, and if you like that I can recommed a similar game called Upwords. Same principles (7 letters drawn, make words etc). But you can build up on top of words eg you could covert Lawn to Pawn, by using an L. Its a little faster and appeals to my geometric mind.

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I used to play a lot of monopoly growing up all the time. Now, I play a lot of card games, pinochle and texas hold'em mostly.
    Erik