308 brake master cylinder compatibility across the line | FerrariChat

308 brake master cylinder compatibility across the line

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Does anyone have any information about the compatibility of the brake master cylinders used in 308s in the carb, 2v-injected, and QV models? There's a QV master that I'm investigating and I want to see if it would even fit.

For what it's worth, it appears that at least the reservoirs were different, as the one here on ebay does not match my reservoir on my 1978 308.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34199&item=2454558011#ebayphotohosting

(Note: The eBay one is NOT the one I'm researching.)

--Mike

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    FWIW Mike, the part number for the M.C. on a GT4 is:

111338 (U.S.A. & Japan. Euro cars used: 106361, England: 106362 and Australia: 111339).

If others who own the models you mentioned post their part #'s, maybe one or two will match...

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mike,

The 308 GTB/S had the same master cylinder as the early 308QV's, however sometime in 1984 the 308QV'S changed over to the later type which had the different reservoir which had the low fluid light float incorporated in the reservoir.

The cylinder advertised on e-bay is the later type.

Technically there shouldn't be a problem fitting the later type on your car, but I would be wary of buying a secondhand part that needs "servicing" as the parts are very difficult to get.

MW

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interesting.

Ferrari (owners.ferrari.com) has this part labelled as a Brake Servo Assembly (left hand drive), quantity required 1. $361 USD... Not cheap, but not ridiculous.

Now, this part is 133576, which is listed as superceding 106361, 111338, 124514.

I looked up the parts for my 1978 308. They are:

1. Reservoir: 108802

I couldn't find the master cylinder alone in the parts manual. In fact, it looks like the Brake Booster and Brake Master are sold as a set ("assembly), which I've confirmed elsewhere in my research.

This "ServoFreno" or Brake Servo assembly is part number 111338 for my car, which matches the part number Peter lists for his GT4.

So, am I correct in thinking that the $361 buys me a new brake master cylinder AND booster from Ferrari?

This strikes me as a good deal for both units.

--Mike

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mike,

Don't forget they ARE secondhand and you will need to source and purchase the parts for refurbishing them - so maybe not such a good deal as is would seem !!

MW

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Agreed... I'm eyeing the Ferrai UK / owners.ferrari.com deal right now... Malcom, do I have it right--the booster and master come as an assembly?

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My experience is a rebuilt MC from an old car isn't frequently sucessful unless you resleeve it too, and even then it's tricky to do right. At this point buying new is usually best. Perhaps you could find a MC that fits a Ferrari from somewhere else? The Nissan MC fits a Europa quite well and EBay will have it at 1/10 the price of a NOS Lotus (Girling) part.

Ken

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Mike, when I looked up the numbers in my Parts Catalogue, the item number pointed to the entire assembly of booster and M.C.

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mike,

Correct the assembley come complete, you cannot purchase seperately.

MW