clamping off heater hose? | FerrariChat

clamping off heater hose?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I'm curious about this. If the long heater hose were to burst on the road, would it do any damage to the car by just crimping it off to inhibit any coolant flow to the damaged part of the hose? Theoretically, does one really need that hose for the coolong system to function properly ( presuming one didn't need heat).

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Doc if you burst a hose youve already done damage to the engine or you were driving watching the temp gauge so you MAY save the engine,
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO,DONT CLAMP OFF A HEATER HOSE ON A LAMBO OR AN FC,get it recoverd back to the technicians who do your work, or if its DIY job you mucked it up,so change ALL YES ALL the hoses and pray it's ok good luck,
    Dale.
    PS,heater system will reduce coolant temp-physics.

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree with Dale to a point.....if the heater hose is not an integral part of the cooling system......meaning it simply branches off the system and is not necessary for the circulation path, you could block it off. But if the cooling system was designed to use the heater hose as part of it's function then no, you should not block it off. If the hose bursts because of age or damage, hopefully as Dale says, you are watching the temp. gage. Or if it's daytime you will probably see steam or another motorist will alert you. If the hose is in good condition but bursts because there is too much system pressure then you have a serious problem. On my Testarossa the heater hose branches off of the water pipes from the heads and is not essential for the cooling system to do it's job. So rather than be stranded I would attempt to block it off if I had no other choice.

4. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Wouldn't the coolant start a fire?

5. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Blocking of the heater hose is the same as turning off the heater control valve - no problem. Unless your car overheats with the heater off, then you have a greater problem than you think!

6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks for the input. I haven't had that problem: this was a theorestical Q--I was just wondering if that would good enough to get home ( assuming the coolant was topped off after the mishap), in the event of a burst heater hose. I thought that i heard somewhere that pinching off that hose was essentially the same as running with the heater valves shut. Anyway--i hope none of us has to test it out someday!