Vintage race photo question | FerrariChat

Vintage race photo question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Horsefly, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Looking at those vintage race photos in the Quiz threads got me to thinking. I have seen some references to the sports car races that were held in Stuttgart, Arkansas back during the 1960s. The races were actually held at the Stuttgart, Arkansas airport which was built during World War II as a training base for bombers like the B-17. I read one article about Jaguars and Ferraris running with all the other assorted cars during those races. Being a native Arkansan, I was wondering if any of you learned Ferrari experts with extensive photographic archives have ever run across any photos from those races in Stuttgart, Arkansas. I ran across a local guy who had raced a Maserati Osca down there at one time. Any photos out there? And was Stuttgart, Arkansas a well known track at the time, or was it just a regional outlaw track where anybody could race anything?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Looking for a picture.

R&T, November 1959, has this description: (and a course map):

Located 4 mi N of Stuttgart, Ark. (on US 79) off State Rt. 11. A 3-mi airport circuit of 75 to 150 ft. wide concrete. Has 10 turns and a 2800 ft straight. Course may be varied. Spectator facilities for 25,000 with ample parking. Lap record is 2 min 5 sec at 86.41mph; top speed on pit straight is about 140 mph. Sponsored by SCCA (Arkansas Region) and Stuttgart Junior Chamber of Commerce. Write JayCees for race information. Adequate accomodations in 20-30 mi radius; write Riceland Hotel (Race Headquarters), Stuttgart for all information.