How much for 60k service? | FerrariChat

How much for 60k service?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vinny, Nov 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    I am looking at a 86 328 for sale. How much should I expect to pay for 60k mile service including waterpump.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Same as a thirty K....just kidding.

In the archives at ferrarichat.com it's in there. You should expect around 5 to 6 k.

Vincent.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Vinny

Of course you have the option of doing the work yourself at massive savings, even taking into account high priced parts, you will also learn a great deal about your car which will add to the enjoyment of owning it. There are many archives here and people on line that will help you. A good compromise would be to get the garage to do some of the harder things such as changing the cam belts and you do the more straightforward routine stuff. I do everything my self on mine, they are only cars after all !! Even if money is no problem (not the case for me) it is good to know about what you are driving, it could prove to be very useful if you break down somewhere, and will also help you when you deal with garages if they see that you know what you are talking about.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Vinny,

JUST been there with the 308 here. Assuming the 328 and 308 are virtually the same in this reguard... Anywhere from $4k to $6k. It really all depends how in depth you want and what may need to be done. Basic fluids and belts are on the cheaper side, yet what if you want them to change a few more bearings if they were never changed before? How about your oil and fuel lines, are they the originals? And suspension bushings? And...

There is always the odd person (like me) who really wants the fine-tooth comb service and willing to make sure even the smaller details are looked at. Always looked at it this way: Pay Now Or Pay Later. Guess i always err on the side of caution.

Another thing to remember is that since they ALREADY have all these labor hours and the car is apart, they are already physically near or at other parts/pieces that you might want changed/fixed/tweaked.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    To underscore what peajay said, if you do it yourself, the savings are huge. I've done it twice. You can get plenty of help from any number of knowledgeable and helpful people on this list. There is nothing magic about it. It's just a little time consuming.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I say, do it and you'll bond with your car, have pride in telling people ... I did this, that, and the other on the car. Last year, when I did my 1000-mile tune up (after a full rebuild), it involved:

Oil change and filter change: 30 minutes
    Coolant change: 1 hour
    Change spark plugs: 30 minutes
    Valve adjustment: 2 days (Laying on the engine, measuring gap, pull out offending shims, go to volvo dealer, buy correct shims, re-install)
    Valve cover gasket re-install: 1 hour (cut, trim, Hylomar)
    Removing the offending AC compressor stuff took ... 2 hours. Then it proved to be ... unnecessary unless you are doing a belt too.

Cost was affordable: $50 oil, $20 splugs, $50 gasket set, $15 for a 2-3 shims, $10 for coolant.

I remember the cam belt change took only a couple of hours but with the engine out. It would probably involve 8 hours of labor if done with engine inside the car. If you are wanting to replace the timing gear seals and bearings, then ... all bets are off. That, as they say, is beyond the scope of this message.

The total replacement of all the hoses of all kinds took quite a bit longer, like a whole week. Finding all those hoses took some time. But it was pretty easy to do with the exception of the brake vaccuum hose and heater hose. That, again, is beyond the scope of this message.

The water pump episode took longer, but I chose to rebuild mine instead of replacing it. First time rebuilding a water pump means you have to learn the ropes. Replacing the water pump alone is not bad.

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    yelcab,

>>>..If you are wanting to replace the timing gear seals and bearings, then ... all bets are off.<<<

IMHO a 60k MUST HAVE seals, bearing, ALL belts, etc. What's the use of a 60k major service without new cam belts/bearings???

Curious...

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I believe most shops estimate 40 hours of labor for a thorough job. There are almost always other things needing attention, especially waterpumps, seals, and clutches. If you need distributer parts and wires, the cost goes up (not much labor here though). At 60K you may be lookinig at suspension and brake system parts replacements as well.

9. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Thanks guys for the info. The car Im looking at does need the major service, So what would a 60k mile car with service done be worth?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le

11. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I don't think it includes the drive bearings that drive the cam belts. It is best to pull the engine for these.

12. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Should be $2000 but is probably more like $4000.

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    308gts,

>>>I don't think it includes the drive bearings that drive the cam belts. It is best to pull the engine for these.<<<

Ahhhh yes, had this done during the recent 60k service. While not menditory per se, felt it was for the best (as was fuel lines, oil lines, etc). KTR European in MA spent over 60 hours on the car in total, yet am very confident the car is all set for a long, long time. Just the usual fluids for the usual intervles. Cheap, easy, and can do it myself :)

MANY thanks for adding the clarification.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Steve,
    Totally agreed. I do my own work so it is just ... free labor for me. I would do it too. Paying someone else to do it, though, would be more expensive and therefore ... discretionay.
    Enjoy,
    Mitchell

15. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Are you all mechanic's? I would say I a little above the average Joe. I have my own small garage setup with air comp. - tools, welders and etc at home but, could someone like me do this work or is it best to leave it to the pro's? Is there a 60k service package that someone offers?

Thanks,
    Sam

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    My mechanic here locally does standard 30K/60K service for $1500-$2500, presuming no surprises, and you don't mind if he takes his time at it. Someone from Memphis recently drove about 300 miles to bring their 308QV here to him at my recommendation and saved a bunch. Total: 2 weeks in the shop and $1800. He did my 30K almost 10 years ago, and my 60K will be done here in the next few months.

17. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    $1,800? Must not have been much of a service. I have checked out 3 places so far and their major service kit was just under $1,000.00. So, he only charged $800 for labor or didn't replace 1/2 of what needed to be, right? That was just for the engine too. There is still the suspension.

18. 308guy

308guy Rookie

May 9, 2004
    $1000 for belts, tensioner bearings and gaskets kit? That sounds like someone got reamed on that one. Call Rutlands next time.

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    30K/60K major service 308 parts rough costs:
    Belts: 2 @ $20
    Tensioner Bearings: 2 @ $120
    Cam Seals: 2 @ $70
    Cam cover gasket Set w/cam housing o-rings: $175
    Distributor end cam seals: 2 @ $15
    Hylomar - $5
    RTV - $5

Of course, if you haven't been doing items as regular in-between maintenance, you might also need hoses, other belts, spark plugs, etc...

20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    "regular in-between maintenance"?

We seem to be lining up in two camps regarding "regular" maintenance.

Depending on your perspective, the 15K/30K services are the "regular" maintenance, and there should be nothing "in-between" except fluid maintenance (gas, oil&filters, hydraulic fluids).

If the Ferrari isn't "regular" transportation, many people do just the basic maintenance, and deal with issues as they arrive. But people who use the Ferrari regularly may prefer to put more into the "regular" maintenance, and have less chance of having any issues in between.

But the "regular" maintance is 15K or three years, so if you're not putting at least 5K a year on the odo, you may have "in-between" maintenance, if you're putting off major/minor service to the miles, regardless of the calendar.

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Where's the "or three years" in the manual?

"In between" has included such things as plugs, wires, extenders, fuel filter, occasional hoses, thermostat, radiator recore and flush, fluids, brakes, and anything else that keeps my 308QV in top notch condition and ready for pushing it hard at track events.