308 Swaybar Size Question (Ferrari UK?) | FerrariChat

308 Swaybar Size Question (Ferrari UK?)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nuvolari, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In researching for my upcoming suspension re-build I ventured in the garage today and measured the sway bars on my 1977 US Spec 308 GTB. I came up with the following:

Front bar: 18mm

Rear bar: 15mm

The rear size threw me because I was expecting either 14mm or 16mm. I measured it several times so I am quite certain that it is right. Is 15 mm a correct sized OEM Ferrari bar? Maybe Ferrari UK can chime in here.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Nuvolari,

Your car has the correct roll bars, basically the GTB/S had the same front roll bar (18mm) whereas the GTB has a 15mm rear bar and the GTS has the 18mm bar.

The reason the GTS had a larger diameter roll bar was to help the handling of the car when the roof was removed, due to the fact that the car lost some of its rigidity.

MW

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you kindly for the fast response. One last thing. Are the front sway bar end link bushings the same ones as are used in the rear?

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Nuvolari,

I asume you are refering to the conical rubber bushes that go either side of the link arm.

They are different, the front part number is 100984 and the rear is 108244 - you need 4 of each.

MW

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes I was referring to the conical rubber bushings. Thank you for the clarification.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    MW -- Can you expand your reply beyond F PN? I noted that those PNs match the front/rear for '78 GTS also (with 18mm roll bars front and rear as you noted). Are the front vs rear conical bushings different in physical size/shape or just in material/durometer/etc? (TIA -- just thinking that that would be helpful information to archive if someone was doing something special or aftermarket.)

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    The bushes are different in size as well as the material - front bushes have an inside diameter of 16mm whereas the rears have a 12mm diameter.

MW

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I did a little research and noticed that the bushing on the swaybar link that connects to the suspension arm is the same part number front and rear. The difference lies in the part number of the conical bushings that go on the swaybar link end that connects to the actual swaybar. The fronts have a 16mm ID while the rears are 12mm.

MW could you post some other measurments of these parts? I am trying to match them to a urethane eqivalent and would like to order the parts before taking the suspension appart (I promise to buy something next time; I'm just browsing right now). Ideally I'd like to see for both the front and back:

- The height of the bushing
    - The diameter at one end
    - The diameter on the other end (or if they are both the same)
    - The maximum diameter of the bushing

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Nuvolari,

Shouldn't be a problem, but just to make sure that we are talking about the same parts can you identify the reference numbers from the pictures below and I will give you the info.

MW

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes we are talking about the same parts here. I noticed that on the front and back #31 and #26 respectivly are the same part number. I am after the dimensions of #27 on the rear and #32 on the front. Thank you again for the resource.

11. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Nuvolari,

Here are the dimentions that you requested, please bear in mind that I have measured a rubber bush with a dial caliper, so the measurment is not 100%, but very close.

These drawings are NOT TO SCALE

MW

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you kindly for the post. You are indeed a scholar and a gentleman.