328 door problem | FerrariChat

328 door problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by hedge, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Has anyone experienced problems with closing doors on their f-cars?

I have an '88 328 GTS (LHD) which has an intermittant problem with closing the passenger door..can be a problem when you are in a hurry!!!

It was pointed out to me when I bought the car that the door looked ever so slightly out of line with the body..not noticeable unless you really look, and all the history I have shows no sign of accident damage.

Usually it happens if I have been parked at a slight slant, and it is probably a co-incidence but usually I have just washed the car when it happens - could be when the door is opened for a prolonged time when hoovering, etc, it drops slightly.

I have to lift the door slightly and slam shut, but even then it sometimes takes many attempts before it catches..this weekend it happened and I was unable to get it shut properly so currently it is half shut and unlocked - not great!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc.

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard

3. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    [/QUOTE

Marc: It is a common problem. I had it on my 328 as well. The issue is the door striker plate needs adjustment. It is a frustrating task and requires much patience. There are four (or six, don't remember, sold the car) hex screws on the door striker. You need to loosen them and move the striker sllghtly to line up the latch. Remember, it takes time, patience and many trials. You will finally get it right but take time and a chill pill. There are some past threads on the subject. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will do another search on the archives. Any particular brand of chill pill?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, Moretti, cold!

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I don't think it's a Ferrari problem. If the doors are heavy like my old Camero then they will sag after a few years have gone by. There isn't much you can do, other than replacing the worn parts. Or you can just live with it.
    Good luck.

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I'm told it's common to many convertibles and targa cars. I have it with my red Mustang - I always knew it really wanted to be a 328!

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Marc,

Personally, both driver and passenger door strikers deserve to be replaced. They are 18+ years old so i suggest REPLACING THEM and THEN realigning the door/striker.

It is indeed FOUR hex bolts. With the door closed, look at the GAP around the door and how it aligns to the main car body. Basically look at the door/gap/body and make a mental note on how the striker needs to be moved. Then open the door, loosen the striker, adjust accordingly, retighten. When all is properly aligned the door will close with ALL gaps being equal.

You MIGHT need to do some door work/adjustments as they can sag due to time/weight pulling them downward. It is a VERY easy project, just takes time and care.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Drive (35 miles today in New England's sub-freeze zone to keep the fluids spinning :) ),

Steven R. Rochlin

8. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for the info. Steve - I will give it a whirl!