550 with Tubi Installed | FerrariChat

550 with Tubi Installed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rudy, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I just picked up my 550 with a new Tubi exhaust system installed. I like it A LOT! No thrumming, buzzing, droning or any untoward noises at any rev/speed/gear yet. I'll keep checking though as I drive the car more. At the mechanics, there was another euro Maranello that had been federalized. It was WAY louder than my car. It seems when the car was federalized, small aftermarket cats were installed. they are smaller than mine. Anyway, this car was very droney. There may have been other reasons for it being louder, but my car sounds much more pleasant to my ear and all the shop people. More later if I discover anything interesting about the "upgrade".

Rudy

2. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hay Rudy,

I am about to replace the existing exhaust on my 355 with a Challenge exhaust !!!

I discovered about the Challenge exhaust when I took my car to the mechanics to change the belts where I heard another 355 coming way before I saw it. The sound is absolutely fantastic !

I immediately questioned the mechanics about the Chanllenge exhaust and asked how it would measure up with the "Tubi". He then took me to another 355 at his place which had a tubi. He started the engine and it was obvious that the Challenge sound better than the Tubi (in my opinion).

Not too sure if the factory in Italy has made any Challenge exhaust for 550/575. But it would certainly be worth checking it out though !

Separately have you looked at the following site before ?

http://www.catsspeed.co.jp/test/FR_Parts/cs_sound/index.html

It is in japanese but it's interesting to see how they have recorded all these movies of ferraris. And you don't even need to understand the language !!! Take a look.

mickey

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I've already put the Tubi on the 550 and love it to death. I've had none of the booming or resonances discussed by others here. I used to have a 355 with a Tubi on it and loved that too. I used to drive through Malibu canyon with the 355. People would come up to me at the stop sign at Mullholland and just to tell me how great the car sounded going through the gears whille in the canyon. I've not heard any of the other systems mentioned on this forum, I'm sure they're great, but I like Tubi. Thanks for the info though. Maybe on the next car.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, i had my 550 tubi put back on not too long ago (cf.) simply because i could not stomach the lame-ass stock exhaust note any longer.

i was steeled for the worst and it did not bother me. in fact, i've grown to really dig it, actually.

it SEEMS (key word, who knows for sure) that i'm not getting the resonance i was getting when i first bought the car. no headaches this time. i'm digging it.

someone suggested on one thread that maybe it was installed improperly which was causing some of the resonance. i dunno, but while there's still in-cabin noise, it seems to definitely not be as annoying as it was the first time. who knows.

btw, mine are almost certainly "old" tubi 550 cans.

doody.

6. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    That would seem to make sense. That other 550 I was talking about has year 2000 Tubis on it, and it's alot louder/boomier.