Removing 308 Cam covers | FerrariChat

Removing 308 Cam covers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Sean F., Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Ok, I started my 30K service over the weekend. Got the car up on jack stands, engine cover off and stored inside in a safe place, wheel well off, etc....

Went last night I went to get the cam covers off and get the engine at TDC on cyl. #1, get the cam index marks lined up, so I can begin removal of the belts.

I took the air pump off (it had been disconnected by the P.O.) and took all the 10mm nuts off the cam cover. I pried, pulled, tugged and pushed to try and get this thing to break loose and it wouldn't hardly budge. Now I know sometimes gaskets can stick but this is ridiculous. The only nuts that come off are those 10mm nuts right in plain view, correct? I did get the top part to break free a little, but it seems stuck on the bottom edge across all 4 cylinders. I don't want to try and pry on this thing on the mating surfaces b/c I don't want to give myself a permanent leak. I did use a slender putty knife to get part of it to break a little, but I can't get much of anything on the lower side as the exhaust headers are in the way.

Anyone have a suggestion other than to just keep trying? Did I miss a nut/bolt somewhere?

I'm certainly not looking forward to doing the front bank in light of this trouble.

2. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I would wonder if the end caps, (distributor, Vent fitting from clutch area etc, are off. Sometimes it's best to drop back, tke a deep breath, or two. and relook at the whole picture. Assumeing all is removed, as I would think, carefully Tap the covers with a soft face hammer, while pulling straight up. They mount on studs, and they can get tight, especially if somehow corrosion between the steel studs and the Aluminum covers can sure "grab hold". GENTLY tapping the stud ends while pulling (soft face hammer very important here if you ever want to restart a nut on those threads), can help too.
    HTH
    Kermit

3. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Distributor nut that ties into cam cover is lose as are all hoses, etc.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If previous mechanic used RTV, then it is glued on there good. I would use a metal spatula (scraper) and insert the edge under neath the gasket and gently pry. Make sure all the nuts are off, and once you get a little edge up, the whole thing will come out.

The front bank, do remember to remove or disconnect the oil dip stick tube away from the engine. Or, you can be chasing your tails.