308 seat headrest/fuel pump switch question | FerrariChat

308 seat headrest/fuel pump switch question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yank05, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi,

I removed my driver's seat on my '76 308 in order to condition the leather and have a few questions:

1. The driver's seat pressure switch for the fuel pump was unplugged and the receptacle was jumpered together. If this switch was connected, would the fuel pump shut off if the driver got out of the car and left it running? If this is the case, i can see why it was bypassed.

2. The headrest pulls out freely and does not engage in any of the slots. Before I waste any time, is this repairable or would the mechanism be observable if I remove the panel on the back of the seat (I took the screws out but it seems to be held by an adhesive that I do not want to break if removal will not help anyway)?

Thanks as always,

Anthony

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi Anthony,

I cannot answer #1 however with regards to #2 the mechanism is not at all observable when you remove the panel. The headrest is held in with 2 cotter pins and normally removing the headrests is a terrible pain because you have to feel around on the leather to loosen the headrest. My opinion is consider yourself lucky that it was so easy to remove and just slide them back in when you are done. If you really want to fix them then you will have to remove the entire skin from the seat.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, the switch in the seat is in the circuit to the fuel pump.

Do you have the books on your car? It's covered in there!

I've jumpered mine out also, as you described.

4. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    thanks guys.....

Nuvolari.....you mean my headrest can not be fixed without removing the top of the hide in back of the mechanism? : (

Speedy, I have the manuals, but would like a better (and bigger!) wiring schematic!

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Correct, you would need to remove the hides on the seats. Not the answer I'm sure you wanted.