My 348 suddenly lost power | FerrariChat

My 348 suddenly lost power

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 92_348ts, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I looked through several prior posts, but didn't find anything that addressed the problem I am having.

I was on my way home from a road trip last week when my 348 suddenly lost power. It still ran, but it felt like it wasn't getting enough fuel. No idiot lights came on. After about a mile the problem went away and it drove fine the rest of the way home. It has been in the garage ever since.

Today, I started it up and let it idle for about 15 minutes. No problems. However, once I started driving out of my subdivision, it happened again and I had to limp it back to my house. It barely had enough power to get up the incline of my driveway.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

2. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    It sounds like you are loosing one bank. Have you checked the Motronic trouble codes? The codes were posted on the old site recently. Print them out for future reference. Some times you can restore the power by switching off the engine and restarting. If the Cats are overheating, a normal cause for this problem, a slow down light should preceed the shutdown. It could also be a problem with a connector, they also give false readings to the engine control computers. Good luck finding the problem.

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    There are dozens of threads containing pertinent information regarding symptoms as you describe...keep reading and troubleshooting.

As you eliminate the easy stuff (you'll see the commonality as you read the dozens of threads), then post what you've found specifically.

Otherwise, this turns into the exact same thread, we guess, you look, etc.

Search words:

348, thermocouple, slow down, power loss, connector, wiring, error codes, ground connection, ECU

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bruce- Thanks for the reply. Initially, I too thought that it felt like one of the banks had shut down. However, the idiot light has not come on either time. I checked (turned the key part way) and made sure all the warning lights were working, and they are.

I will go back and see if I can find the post you are refering to. Also, if it is shutting down because the cats are overheating, could I simply unplug the thermocoupler and see if that cures the problem?

5. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rob- I was having a blonde moment. I hardly found anything that applied to my 348....then discovered that the current "search" function we have doesn't querry the old site. You are right, now that I found out how to access the old site, there are hundreds of threads on the subject.

Where can I find a diagnostic computer for my car and what should I expect to pay?

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1) how did you access the old site for search?

2) here are some easy things to try
    open panel to ecus unscrew and screw in ecus to make sure ground connection is pretty good
    take on and off the TPS and MAF sensors to make sure connection is pretty good
    3) unplug exhaust ecus when the problem occurs restart car to see if the problem recurrs. If yes your option to leave exhaust ecus off or in the loop by buying new ecus at about $150 per unit.
    4) when the power is down you can actuallly shake these parts and sometimes the power will come back in you can fell and hear this as a rise in idle and smoothening of the idle.

7. Action_Item

Action_Item Rookie

Oct 4, 2003
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Todd Short
    Could be something simple like the throttle cable...

8. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fatbillybob- Go to the home page and the link to the "old site" is almost all the way on the bottom of the page.

9. brm

brm Karting

Apr 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Bruce R. Morehead
    I solved the problem with test pipes, but retained the sensors. I still get a light every once in a while and know it is not a problem. You can also unplug the temp sensor, I understand that it will not matter. I can not verify that from the ECU data.

10. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,
    I just had a simialr situation with the lost of power, rought ideal, etc. However, my 1-4 check engine light came on. The problem was the relay for the 1-4 fuel injectors. Once I replaced that relay it has work perfectly.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

11. rikilamb

rikilamb Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    surrey
    Full Name:
    riki lamb
    I had the same turned out to be a fuel pump