Stradale Launch Control. | FerrariChat

Stradale Launch Control.

Discussion in '360/430' started by West777, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    Can someone explain to me how the Launch Control works? My understanding is it accelerates the car as fast as possible. Does it shift gears? How do you de-activate it?

Thanks.

Warren

2. stradale

stradale Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    So Cal.
    You activate the LC by pushing the button on the center console, then rev up to 8000 rpm. Once you release the brake, LC will cause the clutch to engage as quickly as it can. I think you can only do it a few times before the clutch goes...so only for those necessary quick getaways.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It revs to 8k or do you left foot brake?

4. stradale

stradale Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    So Cal.
    I'm not sure but I don't think the system will rev to 8k for you.

5. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    I don't know the Stradale's but i think in 575s you do the left foot braking.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    After pressing LC button, you hold the brake and rev the engine to whatever RPM you want to launch from... then you release the brake and the car engages the clutch as fast as it can without getting excessive wheel spin (though it will get some).

Do you need to left-foot-brake? No, you can heel-and-toe it if you prefer... but if you have an F1, you should take the opportunity to learn left-foot braking.

Now, does that give you the fastest possible launch? Not necessarily... depends completely upon what you are doing with your right foot. If you rev to 8,000 rpm, then no... you'll get way too much slipping. Optimal will be more like reving to 5000, release, and then progressively add gas as the clutch starts to engage.

Will use of launch control eat clutches? No, but launching at 8000 rpm will!! Note that you'll get more clutch wear from launching without LC by simply stomping on the gas than you will by using LC but only reving to 2000 rpm.

The LC just says to the car: "Let me rev the engine... don't engage the clutch until I release the brake... and then, when I do release the brake, engage the clutch as fast as you can... I'm not looking for a smooth start."

I *do* intend to use LC on mine... not to do ridiculously smoking starts... but rather to see if I can get really quick launches, but without excessive clutch wear. We'll see.

7. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    So, the launch control does not shift gears? It only accelerates from first gear, then deactivates?

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    From the old forum here
    Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 7:27 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The computer cuts injectors in random order and may modulate throttle to achieve a pre-programmed slip value for the drive tires vs. the undriven tires. The idea is to maximize the traction available for acceleration. A tire produces maximum grip at one specific slip value, below this threshold, you're not putting as much power to the pavement as you could, above this threshold, you've reduced traction and if you continue to increase slip, you just melt the rubber. Your foot is not as quick as the computer. The computer launch control turns you into a professional every time. That's why it's so great.

FWIW, for about $1500, Race Logic builds a system for the aftermarket that's adjustable, and has launch control. It works very well, and if you have ABS, installs quite easily.

Race Logic

I've had my system for almost four years and love it, especially in the winter. It's fun on the track, too.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Man I want a Stradale so bad, I'm really jealous of everyone. Brian, when you get it we'll have to go play at MSR and then create a video from both the 355 C and 360 S cockpit. Also put a couple cameras on tripods in the corners (I've seen Jack let others do this).

BTW, what's the best video production software for cost and amatuer work. Is Adobe's good? I like Adobes other software.

10. stradale

stradale Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    So Cal.
    WOW. That sounds like fun and I would definitely want to see that video. Sounds awesome already.

I'm new so when is Brian taking delivery of his 360CS?

11. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Brian is correct.

LC simply allows you to choose the rpm you launch at, much as you would with a manual transmission.

Those who think the LC on street Ferraris is anything like the LC on Formula 1 cars, or a good aftermarket system, are incorrect.

If you launch the Stradale at 8000rpm, you are going nowhere and will get beat by a mail truck.

Paul

12. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sounds like a plan! I have a suction cup mount for in-car... coupled with tripods in the corners could be very cool.

The best is Final Cut Pro. Many real movies have been made with that $1000 software on a Mac. For those of more modest means, you can get Final Cut Express... I got a copy for $99 when purchased with my Mac! For free with Mac OS you get iMovie, which is plenty good for amateur. I've produced a number of promotional videos for my business with just iMovie. And its incredibly easy to use for all the functionality you get!!

Of course, if you insist on a PeeCee then... ;)

Should be on a boat any day now... expecting delivery soon after Thanksgiving. The waiting is hell!! ;)

13. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    Rob, it sounds like good stuff, maybe you can add some details. Are you using this on a 355? What happens with the factory traction control - are the two systems competing with each other, or does the Race Logic system disable the factory traction control? I can easily see the launch control feature being cool, but as far as the more normal use of traction control on turns, etc (I'm talking about the track here, not driving in the snow) is the Race Logic product dramatically better than factory? How? Know anyone who's used it on a 360? How complex is the install (F360 in my case, if you know)

Sorry for the barrage of questions, it just sounds like a very cool product and I'm curious...

Dave

14. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    The factory system is not adjustable. I've not looked into modifying it to add that capability, only added it to cars which didn't have it to begin with.
    Adjustability. The driver controls the amount of tire slip.
    Hmmm, nice project. Again, I've not integrated with a factory system. I'm certain I could figure it out.
    It is cool, and no worries, happy to help.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the factory has released acceleration numbers. do we know how these were achieved? with or without launch control? what sort of clutch-drop RPMs? etc.

i'd be curious to hear.

doody.

16. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    Thanks much, Rob. As far as installation, is this a fairly reversable install? I'm imagining disconnecting the 4 stock ABS lines and sensors, and replacing them with 4 new ones and a computer, then installing some gauge/dial stuff inside the car. No computer changes to the factory setup, it just gets different signals as to how the ABS sensors are responding.

Generally, is that the idea?

Dave